Chapter 3: Axe in Hand
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All four of the new arrivals were heavily armed and clearly not inexperienced when it came to fighting. The many scars that littered their faces told Ragnall that, combined with their thick fur cloaks, braided beards, and long hair, it was clear who these people were.

Raiders.

In a controlled haste, Ragnall quickly paced down the gatehouse's steps, removed the wooden bars and opened the villager's gate. With no fear or hesitancy in his steps, he left the safety of the village and approached the four new arrivals. Although never once did he allow his hand to leave the hilt of his sword, should this encounter turn deadly, Ragnall was more than ready.

Even as he began to take his first few clinking steps towards the men, he could see Arrin and Correy squirming to get free not that their captors allowed them to do so.

“Release the children.”

“Well, that’s no way to greet your guests. Where’s the hospitality, the feasting, the drinking? You should be thanking us for making sure these spirited boys got back unharmed. This is no place for them to be wandering, anything could have happened to them,” the group’s leader said, he was a head shorter than the rest with an overly fake voice and two short axes tied to his belt.

“You have my gratitude. Now release them,” Ragnall answered, he was in no mood no play such a game with these men, and besides the sooner he got the children out of here, the safer the situation became.

“How could I release them in such an unsafe place? What kind of village allows its young to roam free? It would bruise my heart to return them to such an uncaring home. It is only right that you allow us to inspect this village and make sure these poor boys are kept safe,” the man spoke again much to the amusement of his fellow raiders, although the axe that now hung loosely from his hand did not match the supposedly caring attitude he was putting on. Especially when he bent down to pinch Arrin’s cheek and allowed his axe to gently hang under his neck.

The two children were clearly aware of the peril they were in and given how this was going, Ragnall had only one choice, he drew his weapons. The sound of its steel being unsheathed was enough to startle the unsuspecting men, but in a matter of seconds, they had all drawn their own.

All pretence of friendship and caring disappeared as the two opposing forces squared off.

“Release the boys then we may come to an arrangement.”

Despite their motives being clear, the raiders did seem rather unwilling to allow the children to be indirectly caught in a violent exchange and it seemed Ragnall’s words finally gave them enough assurance to release their firm grips on the children.

Without so much as a thank you or a worried check-up, Ragnall pushed the now running boys away from him and towards the safety of the village.

Good now I can truly handle this.

“We have nothing of value here. No gold, no wealth and nothing worth taking. Just leave us in peace.” As much as Ragnall would have preferred to cut the men down, he had to hold back, if others knew they were here and went searching for them, the situation would surely worsen beyond his control. No number of patrols or night watch would keep away a great army of raiders.

“I would still prefer to check that for myself. My men deserve a reward for so graciously returning your lost lambs.”

At those words, the largest of the raiders took a step forward but the sight of Ragnall’s sword being pointed directly at his chest was enough to make him hesitate.

“You think that helmet or mail will protect you.” One of the other men spat, but his words did little to dissuade Ragnall, he had no reason to fear these men, not here, not now.

“I suggest you leave, or I will bury you here. This village is under my protection now and forever, I may be old, but I will still gladly cut you all to ribbons,” With Ragnall’s clear warning hanging in the air and his blade twirling and ready for action, how these events played out relied solely on one man's choice.

A choice that was decided as the raider finally grew tired of their games and with four of them all now directing their weapons towards Ragnall, they were clearly confident in their odds in a battle.

But before the bloody fight could begin the thud of an arrow piercing the ground near the leader's feet was enough to send the raiders scrambling backwards as if another arrow loosed upon them at any second.

The archer's arrival on the gatehouse was enough to make the men think twice about pursuing this path and after a few more grumbled words and spat insults, the four men all turned and departed.

I don't think that’s the last I’ll be seeing of them, that one is a special breed of bastard.

Even with the men’s back now facing the village, Ragnall did not move or sheathe his weapon, instead, he kept his gaze focused on the men’s retreating forms and only once they were clearly out of sight did Ragnall allow himself to let out a breath and sheathe his sword.

This is not what we needed.

With the situation now over Ragnall turned and moved to return to the village, after a quick nod at Rich who was still holding position in the gatehouse, Ragnall moved to renter through the gate and securely lock it behind him.

But before he could return to his routine, there was something he had to do, he had to alert the village of the intruders. This was a danger they could not ignore.

0