Preamble
671 3 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi. Welcome to the story I am writing. Before we begin, a few notes:

 

-A note on morality:

In case the title didn’t give it away, the protagonist is not a heroic figure. She won’t necessarily be malicious all the time to everybody, but she’s not here to make friends. She’s here to cause chaos, in service to an eldritch horror. So, you know. If dubious morality puts you off, probably don’t read this.

 

-A note on content:

This story is about corruption. Of all sorts. Violence will occur, at some point. Evil deeds will be performed, although within certain limits- I have standards, even if the protagonist might not. And, most importantly for the purposes of content warnings, things might get erotic. That isn’t the focus, and as a general rule I will keep anything gratuitously NSFW skippable, but if you don’t want to encounter that at all, move along. Such NSFW bits might include tentacles, as alluded to by the cover. It is unlikely that they will include men, given the protagonist’s (outward) adherence to Vestal requirements- but they may well involve other women. 

 

-A note on historical accuracy:

lol. lmao. No. This story takes place in a fantasy world. The republic of Reme might bear some superficial, totally coincidental similarities to a famous real-life classical republic, but that doesn’t mean any particular historical facts will match up. 

That is to say, if you’re thinking of commenting “This Roman thing wasn’t contemporary with this other Roman thing D:<”, or “The Vestals weren’t actually set up that way >:/”, or “Elves didn’t actually exist in Rome v_v”, take a step back. Relax. It’s a story. For fun. 

On the other hand, I like learning stuff about history, and I enjoy weaving in bits and pieces where they fit, so if you have a comment like “Did you know about this cool place in Rome, it might be neat to have something happen there”, or “Hey, I found this interesting piece of Celtic mythology that might tie into this”, stuff like that- that’s not only okay, that’s appreciated. 

 

-A note on butchering names:

Don’t even worry about it. I usually go with ‘what looks/sounds good’ over ‘what is an authentic and believable name’. I will include a note at the end of chapters where a significant name occurs, explaining the meaning behind it, if any. 

I’ll give you the note on the protagonist’s name right here. 

Sionann is an Irish mythological figure, who did a Pandora’s Box/Tree of Knowledge thing, except in her case it was a well. She fished the salmon of knowledge from Connla's Well in hopes of gaining power, which caused the well to burst (?), drowning her as the waters flowed to the sea. The river thus created was named after her. 

This seemed a fitting name for the protagonist, although whether she will ultimately drown before the world does is up in the air. 

The name evolved over time into the modern form Shannon, so presumably the ‘sion’ part is pronounced ‘shun’, like fusion. But you can pronounce it in your head however you want. 

23