VII – Temple of the Vestals
528 5 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After changing into their new robes, the initiates were guided around the temple. It was a remarkably large compound considering the size of the order. There were of course a lot of shrines, sanctums, altars and oratories, all with varying levels of significance and dedicated gods. But there were also four dormitories, each three stories high, twelve individual rooms and an attached washroom per floor. There were the elders’ residences, for those Vestals who had served their thirty years and then made their oaths a second time, becoming leaders of the order. There was an actual bathhouse, a mess hall, and an infirmary.

In addition to the daily accommodations, there were facilities for training- mind, body, and soul. A library and attached study-hall, where they were informed they would receive tutelage in a variety of subjects- not just religious ones, but also history, philosophy, even law and politics. A gymnasium, which strangely included (in addition to the expected equipment) racks of wooden practice weapons and several training dummies- Sionann would not have thought the Vestals would have much in the way of martial interests. And several areas for training in magic, including rooms reinforced to withstand ‘high impact evocations’, once again raising questions as to why Vestals would need such capacity for violence. 

Not technically part of the temple, but attached to it, were a variety of mundane facilities that supported the Vestals. Stables, including several carriages (which they were allowed, on special occasions, to ride through the center of Reme in the middle of the day). A blacksmith, although apparently it was really more of a general handyman shop, responsible for fixing furniture as well as shodding horses and making buckles. A messenger post, from where you could technically send a letter to anywhere in the republic. There were more, but the tour didn’t cover them. 

 

Then there was the treasury, which featured both a large vault for the order as a whole, as well as individual lockboxes for every member. It was explained that they would each receive a monthly stipend of ten denarii. On the one hand, not a lot of money, about equal to what a common labourer might earn. On the other, they didn’t have to pay for housing, food, or really anything else. 

In fact, while she had not had a fixed budget at home, and could usually persuade her father to give her whatever money she asked for, Sionann thought the stipend compared quite favourably to her previous ‘income’. Which raised the question of why she didn’t see Vestals walking around covered in golden jewellery, until the elder showing them around mentioned that of course they would donate most of their stipend to temples around the city. Ah. Of course. 

 

The final stop on their tour of the temple was the most important- indeed, some might say the entire reason the Vestal order existed: the Vestal Flame. Situated in a chamber above the main entrance to the temple, the large brazier burned day and night with holy fire. It was clearly visible from the busy street below, holding the Vestal order properly accountable. Three Vestals watched over the Flame at all times, and if it went out on their watch, they would at best be flogged, if they had a good excuse, like a major earthquake or a hostile army ransacking the city. The default punishment would be execution. 

Of course there were the Vestal Spring, Vestal Garden, and Vestal Windcatcher, located in their own shrines in other parts of the city. However, the Flame was both the most labour-intensive to maintain, and the most important one, hence why it was built into the main temple. As for why the Vestal Flame was so important… they were told that they would learn that secret in due time. Sionann suspected it had something to do with how uncomfortable looking at the Flame made her.

 

The tour of the temple lasted quite a while, and lunch was being served when it ended. The meal was uninspiring, but not bad- bread, bean stew, a little dried fish. The wine was watered down to tastelessness, though. It would take some getting used to. 

Sionann considered sitting in a corner by herself. That would be the best way to avoid trouble. The best way to cause trouble would be to sit right in the middle of the initiate table, next to Vestia. She went with an intermediate option, sitting at the end of the table, next to the shy short girl. 

“Dellia, right?”

She looked surprised, happy, and nervous, in rapid succession, which was some impressive expressiveness. Surprised, because she had been engrossed in her meal, and didn’t notice Sionann sitting down. Happy, because despite finding it hard to initiate a conversation, she did want to be on friendly terms with her sisters. Nervous, because she was worried that talking to the elf might get her ostracised. 

She glanced to her left before responding- Vestia was too busy regaling those around her with her noble lineage, and nobody else seemed to care about Sionann’s presence (right now). Satisfied that a simple response was unlikely to earn her immediate scorn, she turned back. 

“Mm. You’re Ailia, right?”, she mumbled. 

“Aililia, but I usually go by Sionann.”

“Oh. Um. Is- is that an elf thing?”

Sionann sighed. “Indeed. It is an ‘elf thing’. I don’t know what it means, though, my mother never told me.”

“Ah… well, it’s… an interesting name. Um, I mean, a nice name. Nicer than my cognomen, I mean.”

“It’s fine, if you really don’t like it you can call me Aililia”, Sionann grumbled, purposefully making herself sound as depressed and disappointed as possible. 

“Ah! Sorry, I didn’t mean- I can call you Sionann, if you want”, Dellia said, as the guilt trip instantly paid off. 

“Thank you, Dellia”, she responded in a far more cheerful tone. 

“You’re, um, welcome. Um, Sionann”, Dellia replied- clearly still uncomfortable, but it was progress. If she could get one Vestal to use her proper name, it would be easier to convince others to do so. And this nervous wreck was definitely the easiest one to start with.

Though Vestia eventually noticed Sionann’s presence, she didn’t do more than glare at her- which did cause Dellia to shift ever so slightly further away. But she’d already achieved her current objective there, so she didn’t say anything about it. Maybe she’d bring it up later, if she needed to guilt Dellia into something more. 

 

After lunch, they were informed of their duties and schedule for the coming weeks. The duties were relatively light- just cleaning various parts of the temple for an hour in the morning and evening. In between, they would almost always have some lesson to attend, at least for the first few months. Only once they understood their roles sufficiently would they actually participate in any ceremonies, and even then it would be as observers.

Finally, they would spend one day a week in the Fey Wood to strengthen the bonds with their spirits. Sionann wasn’t sure if she would just sit in the forest doing nothing for a day, or whether she should actually go visit Kin-Galud during that time. Well, she had a few days to consider it. 

21