Chapter 35
44 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Winter is over, and the weather is gradually getting warmer.

The one-year mark, which was the first milestone between my arrival at this village and its reconstruction, is approaching.

Although I have some leeway, I would like to prepare as much as possible and secure human resources within the deadline I have set.

As for the future of the village, I have sorted out the purpose of its operation, religious management that incorporates corporate management methods, and the infrastructure for a safe living, so I would like to solve as many problems as time allows.

There is no prospect of securing the basics of life—food, clothing, and shelter.

There are several ways to improve this, but I would like to proceed with preparations for hunting, which is one of them.

I want to secure hair and skin as materials for clothing, and if possible, I also want to secure animal protein and meat.

My prey will be the owner of footprints found around the ponds outside the village.

The sorghum buds I planted for greening are being eaten away, so there is no doubt that some kind of herbivorous animal is present.

The area around the pond is not suitable for hunting with weapons, as there are no places to hide, and it is also impossible to predict when prey will appear and how long it will take.

Since I don't have time to spend just hunting, I choose to hunt using traps.

(I will try to see if I am lucky.)

Wood, bamboo, and rope can be prepared as materials.

Since I don't have many materials or tools, I set a primitive trap.

By the way, I made rope using the bark of a gum arabic tree (more precisely, a tree with similar characteristics) that I found while exploring outside.

Rope has many uses, so I make it regularly based on my time.

There are mainly four types of primitive traps that are well known.

There are snare traps, where a loop is made with a rope to tie the prey's limbs; spear traps, where the prey is stabbed to death; deadfalls, where the prey is crushed with rocks, etc.; and the rest are pitfalls.

None of the traps are suitable for setting around a pond, as they are easy to see, but I chose pitfalls, which are relatively easy to make.

I am also considering the reusability, utilization of my skills, and the need for fewer materials.

(Digging holes is now my specialty.)

There were multiple types of footprints, but looking at their characteristics and the way they were attached, none of them seemed large.

Because they eat sorghum sprouts, I assume they are herbivores or omnivorous animals, such as a horse or cow.

The depth of the pitfall is approximately 1.5m, aimed at animals that do not have high jumping abilities.

Dig some holes.

Normally, I will have put some spear-like things in the pitfall to stab the prey to death when it falls, but this time I am aiming to capture them alive as there is a possibility that they will be used as livestock.

Digging holes, which takes the most time when making this trap, has already reached the level of skill.

It's an extension of the work I do every day, such as escaping from waterways, building stairs, and creating a mechanism to move from village to village.

Utilizing mana, I can hollow out the hard ground like a block.

About 2m square, a little away from the pond.

First, I dug a shallow square hole and gradually dug deeper.

The ground I am digging is hard, but it's better than the rock I cut when I made the stairs, and the resulting blocks are much lighter.

Emphasizing efficiency, I used the ground as a block and threw balls outside at random to deepen the hole.

The work progresses quickly, and the way the blocks are hollowed out has a puzzle-like element, so digging holes has become a little more fun recently.

After digging the hole, I cover it with sorghum leaves and cover it with sand to disguise it as the ground.

At first, I had a hard time camouflaging it, but I got the hang of it after trying things like building pillars inside the hole.

I dug a groove around the hole and buried the end of the leaf in the groove to secure it.

I think I was able to disguise it well.

I'm concerned about the strength, such as whether the disguise will be exposed due to wind or vibration, but I'll give it a try anyway.

The bait I will use to draw them into the hole is sorghum fruit and buds.

I scatter the berries over the traps, plant sorghum seeds between the holes, and use the sprouts as bait instead of food.

Of course, the purpose is to secure prey, but even if I fail, sorghum will grow around the pond, so it won't be a waste.

All that's left to do is wait.

Considering how unlucky I was in the past, it may be difficult, but I have high hopes.

By the way, I created about nine pitfalls.

Although I don't plan to use them for the time being, I will also prepare weapons for direct hunting.

It may also be necessary to stop prey caught in a trap.

Since iron has not yet been refined and is valuable, I decided to use other materials.

This material is also rare, but it is the tusks and bones of large animals, which I have no other plans for.

I'm worried about its durability, but it's also a material used in a certain game, and it's known to be extremely heavy and as hard as steel, so I have high hopes for it.

(It seems like it would be a unique weapon.)

I will prepare weapons that take advantage of the original shape of the material without much processing.

With all my imagination, I created a spear made from a fang, a hammer made from a femur, and a sword carved from long bone.

The spear was simply made with a wooden handle on the tusk and fixed with adhesive made from gum arabic tree sap and rope made from bark.

By the way, even though I call it adhesive, it's a raw material used for Arabic glue and stick glue, so I don't expect it to be very strong.

It's probably just enough to keep the rope from unraveling.

As for the hammer, I left it almost as is, with a simple modification on the handle part.

I don't take much time to make the spear, so I made multiple copies in case they broke.

The sword took a lot of time to process, so I decided to only use one.

It was difficult to polish after cutting.

(The hammer doesn't look like a weapon. It's a femur itself...)

I tried each one and found that they are quite strong and hardly take any damage, even when I hit a tree or the ground.

I was not sure about hitting a rock, but it should be strong enough for me to hit it dozens of times.

It seems more durable and usable than I expected.

I also made a bow from bamboo material.

Bamboo is still spare, and there aren't many that can be dried enough, so I decided to make just one of these as well.

I cut a thick piece of bamboo into four pieces, shaved the joints so that they were flat, and stacked the four pieces and glued them together to shape them into a bow.

It takes a lot of force to pull it, and even an adult might have a hard time, but it seems like it will work without any problems.

I made about 30 simple arrows and attached sharp bones as the arrowheads.

The power is enough to easily pierce a log, but it will take some practice to hit it reliably.

I decided to practice my weapon little by little every day.

2