Chapter 10
1.2k 10 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

Sorry guys, I had a busy day today. I already had the chapter ready but I didn't have any time all day to publish it. Finally here it is, enjoy it!!

ย 

The day finally arrived. My sister Zenya's birthday was today, and the activity in the mansion had exploded early in the morning. Each of the servants ran in haste like bees in a honeycomb. It was a hive of activity that didn't look like it would stop any time soon.

Some of the maids had woken me up early to prepare me for the big event. Several of the ones who had always been there with me, except for Ameli; whom I hadn't seen since that day with Aunty Ven. They were dressing me and doing a thousand things to make me look as pretty and adorable as possible.

I had been rather worried about Ameli, but since I couldn't ask, and the rest of the maids didn't mention anything about her, I was a bit in the dark. There was nothing I could do but wait for her to appear to find out if she was well or not.

I was now in one of the attached buildings. Specifically, the one that was used for big events and balls.

"This day has finally arrived." My mother said with a low tone of voice and a small smile full of nostalgia. "It seemed like just yesterday when she was learning to walk, and today, look at her, ready to take her first steps in society."

"My sweet Madame, this is already the fifth time you've said that." Makila expressed laughing in an exhausted tone. Mother hadn't stopped talking about how much my sister had grown up, and how fast she was becoming an adult. Makila merely responded to those comments with a wry smile. I knew she was also happy and excited about the party, but as usual, Makila was the calmest of my parents.

It was around noon, and we were in a room on the second floor of the event building, waiting to be called and make our entrance.

When I was woken up, I was immediately taken to eat, bathe, dress, and all that stuff. There were too many hands, faces, and laughter. I didn't know what happened until it was over.

It was quite busy, and before the party had even started, I was already exhausted. Technically I hadn't done anything but be dragged back and forth by several maids, Makila, and my Mother. But even that was exhausting in its way.

We arrived at the building around mid-morning, and we were immediately ushered into this room. It was just Mom, Makila, Sarka, and me. There was a maid, but she camouflaged herself with the rest of the room. She was so good at doing that that, if I hadn't seen her arrive with us, I wouldn't have realized she was there.

"Mother was like this before? With me, I mean."

"Oh of course it was. I'd say even worse," replied Makila to my older sister's question. With her first words a small glint lit up in her heterochromatic eyes. A glint of curiosity, and perhaps a hint of mischief. "I remember being incredibly nervous. She would walk around the room and every five steps she would ask if you were okay, if your dress was perfect, if it was comfortable if your feet didn't hurt, if you weren't thirsty. She was much more nervous than on the day of our ceremony."

"Ceremony?"

"The pledge ceremony, when I joined your mother."

"Oh!"

I was losing some context there, but I was sure she was referring to when she became my mother's Makila. Something I still don't understand what it means, and all the more so because the way she says it sounds very similar to a wedding ceremony. Which I'm beginning to suspect is just that.

"Alright, alright, enough teasing me you two."

Sarka and Makila shared a laugh before, almost in sync, the 3 of them sighed.

"Still, I wonder if everything will work out. Zenya has been trying pretty hard and since Aunt Ven gave her that gift she's been even more motivated." Sarka added. A slight tone of sadness in her voice that I couldn't understand the reason for.

Jealous of Aunt Ven's gift or was it something else?

"Is that so, what was it that she gave her? Every time I ask her, Dri refuses to tell me." Makila asked, looking at Mom, perhaps silently asking her if she knew.

"I want to know too. Anven isn't very good at picking out gifts, so I'm a little worried."

Sarka closed her eyes in contemplation, thinking, perhaps, whether she should tell them or not. A while later she just smiled at them and said they would have to wait to see for themselves. Mom and Makila narrowed their eyes at Sarka, but before they could say anything...

*Knock knock*

A knock on the door resounded, saving her from possible interrogation. A young butler entered the room after Mother permitted him to enter. He bowed gracefully and with a polite tone, greeted everyone before announcing the reason for his appearance.

"It's time."

With that signal, all 3 of them stood up, with Sarka carrying me in her arms, we left the room, heading for the huge hall where the big event was taking place.

We came to a large double door, where we stopped to be announced. On the other side, musicians could be heard playing their instruments. I could recognize the beautiful tones of violins, flutes, harps, and other instruments that you would see in an orchestra.

A male voice rose above the music, stopping it and leaving the place in silence. He gave his greetings to the guests, a few words of thanks, and after clearing his throat, announced in a powerful but dignified voice.

"Presenting the Duchess Irlana Gala Urden Baelian and her Makila, Fiana Baelian de Galari."

With that signal, the large double doors slowly opened, revealing the huge hall behind them, filled with several distinguished guests of different races and tribes. The place sank into silent reverence, as Mom and Makila, clinging to her arm, advanced with measured steps, full of elegance and refinement.

My mother wore a majestic crimson gown, matching her eyes, which immediately caught the sight of many and made them yearn for her impressive looks. Her dress clung to her beautifully manicured figure; which seemed unaffected by her previous pregnancy, with her cleavage being adorned by delicate lace that danced softly with each step she took forward, showing off all her dignity.

Her hair, as black as raven feathers, fell down her shoulders like a waterfall, adorned with small gems, giving it the appearance of a beautiful starry night. Testimony to the great skill her maids possessed in preparing her for this important day.

A single golden necklace adorned her neck. The gem at the end, like a large drop of blood, reflected the light of the room like a great beacon that attracted all the gazes of the guests.

At her side, tightly clinging to her arm, Fiana Makila, radiated her aura of serenity. The fabric of her sky-blue dress flowed like a still river, a reflection of Karla's skill in its design and tailoring. Her light black hair shimmered under the intensity of the salon's light. Standing next to my mother, she was like a lake reflecting the night sky on a clear night.

A solitary sapphire pendant nestled in her plunging neckline, twinkling like a star. Attached to the one my mother wore, showed how complementary they were to each other.

Each step they took as they descended the staircase stole a part of the guests' breath. Their intertwined arms conveyed a silent understanding of the great bond they shared that I had yet to grasp the true meaning of.

When they finally reached the foot of the stairs, it was as if the spell they had placed on their entrance had been lifted. It began softly, like the onset of a gentle drizzle, and then slowly burst forth like a storm. Applause resounded in the great hall, in reward for the wonderful performance of the two elegant women who showed off their beauty to the dozens of guests who chanted praise to each of them. Both gave an elegant and perfect bow in greeting to the guests, then moved to one side of the staircase, lined up perpendicular to it.

Watching from my place, even behind the huge double doors, I felt like a spectator, watching a play from an ancient era. Sarka sighed, revealing a soft smile that expressed almost the same thing I was feeling at that moment.

"Mother and Makila set the bar too high." She complained with exaggerated drama as she shook her head with a smile. "But they won't be able to defeat me, since I'm carrying my invincible little sister today."

Sarka took a deep breath and tried to calm her breathing a little, which seemed to be starting to get agitated. There was a slight trembling in her arms as she held me but that gradually calmed down.

I heard her whisper something for a moment, but I couldn't make out what she said. A couple of seconds later, the announcer's voice echoed through the place again.

"Presenting now the eldest daughter, Lady Sarka Lara Urden Baelian, and the youngest of the family, Lady Orinthya Nita Urden Baelian."

Sarka advanced slowly through the door and toward the staircase. She took confident steps with her impeccable posture, shoulders back and head held high, making her appear more mature and experienced. She descended the staircase with unwavering self-assurance, something noticed by all present.

Wearing her simple but elegant orange dress, as warm as the suns in the sky. Modestly decorated with delicate white lace at the collar, cuffs, and edges, it made a great contrast with the mature appearance of its wearer.

Her hair, a deep crimson color, complemented her dress, which, when looking at them as a whole, seemed to show an intense summer sunset, giving a feeling of solemnity to anyone who looked at her. Low-heeled black shoes, which barely made a sound as she descended each step.

In her arms was me, Orinthya, looking nervously at the large number of people gathered in the great hall. From youngsters, no more than 5 or 6 years old, to adults in their wiser ages.

I wore a white dress, representing the purity and innocence of a baby. The fabric was like spider silk, and a ribbon wrapped around my waist like a hug, ending in a bow on one side. My hair was hidden by a high cap, held in place by a ribbon that encircled my head below my chin.

My eyes wandered from side to side, I held my dress tightly as I tried to calm my fluttering heart, a victim of being the center of attention. I barely felt safe in the arms of my sister, who noticed my reactions and decided to hug me closer to herself, letting me feel the warmth of her body. A calm came moments later, having understood the silent encouragement she was offering me.

When we reached the foot of the stairs, the audience did not greet us with the same intensity as before, but gave us a more refined applause, along with approving glances, satisfied nods, and warm smiles. As with our predecessors, Sarka curtsied to the guests, as best she could with me still in her arms, and moved to the opposite side of the stairs from Mom and Makila, leaving us right in front of them on the other side of the stairs.

The moment Sarka was in position, the lights throughout the room dimmed, and a large spotlight in the center of the far wall pointed its ethereal light at the top of the staircase.

"Here she comes at last," Sarka reported with a tone of nervous anticipation. She was our older sister, and although she didn't spend much time with us due to her responsibilities, she was perhaps one of the most reliable people I knew. Of course, she sometimes had that dangerous expression on her face, but, having grown accustomed to it, I now found it commendable.

Whenever she could, she met with us, and with incredible diligence, she advised, guided, and protected us at all times. Sarka was a role model for Zenya, who did her best to follow her advice and apply it immediately in my care. Seeing her now, nervous about Zenya's presentation, was heartwarming.

Inside me, I felt a little envious. I deeply wished that, on my own birthday, Sarka, even just a little, would feel for me the same as she is feeling today for our sister.

Was it selfish to think that way? Was it wrong? I couldn't tell. It was a conflicting feeling.

"Announcing now the brightest star of this glorious day. Everyone, please welcome Lady Zenya Dria Urden Baelian."

The soft plucking of a harp began to sound in the hall when the announcer finished his words. A melodious introduction for the entrance of the great protagonist of the day. A girl of beyond angelic appearance slowly approached the open door. With each step, a different instrument joined the melody. First, a flute sang sweetly, then a violin complemented the delightful tunes of her companions. Zenya reached the middle of the balcony, and right behind her, a tall, thick-set man joined her.

"Presenting the father of the star that today illuminates us with its beauty. Duke Halfred Kant Urden Baelian."

The murmurs of the guests stopped as my father advanced to stand beside my sister and lent her his hand to escort her on her way. Every gaze was on the two beautiful people standing at the top of the stairs. Sarka had lost her breath as had I, watching the fantasy scene taking place right before our eyes. I could feel her hugging me a little tighter, I even got to feel her heart beating faster in her chest, again just like me.

As they began their descent down the staircase, it was Zenya who stood out the most. She exuded an aura of grace beyond just being charming, a clear example of her great efforts in her etiquette classes, which had brought her to such enormous heights in just a couple of weeks. Praise would be said for Lady Grawfalls who had done such a wonderful job of teaching her diligently.

My older sister's intense crimson hair shimmered in the light, like the petals of a rare flower bathed in the dew of dawn, falling in loose slings down her back and dancing to the rhythm of her steps, accompanied by the beautiful tune that flooded the room. Her youthful face illuminated with its innocent charm, shining more of the light that followed in her path, descending to us, mere mortals who admired such divine charm.

At her side, our father, of imposing stature, holding her hand that had descended to its fullest possible extent, so that he could escort her without any failure. His normally oppressive aura had disappeared, replaced by one of paternal protection, which was equally reflected by the proud expression on his face. His short fiery beard that enveloped his face added a touch of warmth to the already solemn countenance he exuded.

Zenya's dress, crimson like her hair, was adorned with intricate silver lace, which once again showed the incredible talent Karla possessed in enhancing the pure beauty my beloved sister exuded.

My father, in a tailored suit, exuded an air of strength and high class, worthy of a Duke of the empire, perfectly complementing my sister's youthful and innocent grace.

A bracelet adorned my sister's right wrist, it was of a strange violet hue and, although it was somewhat dull in its luster, it stood out to the eye like the precious mineral it was made of.

That must have been the gift Aunt Ven gave her. Mom said she was worried about what she had given her, but apparently, there was no reason to do so.

As they descended, the central spotlight dimmed their light a little, giving them an ethereal appearance, almost like that of a painting by the greatest of artists. The lights and shadows jump around them, in a dance that follows the music that maintained its harmonious intensity. A visual and auditory work of art that kept the guests breathless, making me fear that they would all fall to the floor unconscious from lack of air.

Her descent had not been a mere stroll, it was the presentation of a fairy who had come to grace us with her innocence beauty and magic, an unattainable jewel for anyone who was bewitched by her appearance. Such a scene would linger in the minds of all who witnessed such an ephemeral moment in time.

Finally, the music reached its coda, in contrast to the last steps Zenya and my father were taking to reach the foot of the stairs.

Standing in full view of all the guests, Dad knelt in front of my sister, whispered a few words of encouragement, and, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead, positioned himself next to my mother, leaving her between Makila and himself.

Zenya then took a couple of steps forward, heading towards the audience. She took a deep breath, perhaps to calm her nerves, and began to deliver a speech.

"Dear guests." She began in her tender voice, making a great effort to sound loud and clear enough to be heard by all. "I thank every one of you for taking the time to attend on this very special day."

She paused to take a breath and look toward our parents. Both, including Makila, responded with a warm smile, and a nod encouraging her to continue.

"I want to thank my beloved family for organizing such a wonderful event on my behalf. Father, thank you for listening to my selfish request and escorting me on this special day." Zenya gave a graceful bow toward him, then looked toward Mom. "Mother, thank you for working so hard to make this day so perfect. This day will definitely become one of my most precious memories."

A few tears threatened to fall down her cheeks, but with all her willpower she kept them from happening. Dad and Mom held hands, touched by their daughter's words as she so eloquently expressed her speech.

A moment later she gave a second bow to Mom and then turned to Makila.

"Makila, thank you for always being there to help and advise me. I am unable to think of anyone more amazing than Makila when it comes to teaching me about our family." With those words, she again bowed to her. Makila couldn't take it anymore and, clinging to Mom shed tears of happiness. A handkerchief was offered to her from dad who smiled wryly, as if he already knew it was going to happen.

Immediately Zenya turned to us, something that seemed to surprise even Sarka.

"To my two sisters. Sarka, thank you for being such a wonderful big sister. Thank you for always being there for me no matter how busy you are. To Orinthya, thank you for being born and teaching me the joy of being a big sister. I promise I will be the best big sister you could ever wish for."

In my sister's arms, I could hear the attempt to stifle a gasp. Sarka was struggling not to let go of the touching words Zenya had dedicated to us. Something I was trying to do myself.

We were both caught off guard by her words. Even Mom seemed genuinely surprised but smiled ecstatically at the beautiful act my sister had gifted us with. Makila, needless to say, was a sea of tears at this point, being consoled with considerable difficulty by Mom and Dad.

Zenya offered a final bow to us, enhanced by a mischievous smile on her lips as if this unexpected act in her speech was part of her evil plan. She then turned her attention back to the guests.

"And to all of you, friends old and new, I thank you again for attending today's event. Please enjoy the dancing and the food to your stomachs' and hearts' content. Please give me the honor to share with you my happiness, a feeling that overflows at this moment within my being."

Zenya's sincere and sweet words struck the hearts of everyone who came to hear her, initiating a wave of warm applause that filled the room in celebration of my sister's success in completing her emotional speech.

With that as a signal, the real party began. The lights returned to their previous hue, illuminating the entire room. The musicians resumed their instruments and began to play upbeat tunes to further enhance the festive atmosphere.

With those formalities over, the family quickly gathered, congratulating and singing praises to Zenya, who had achieved quite a high performance in her first appearance in society.

"My little Dri, how proud you make me to see how well you have done. My sweet Mishka." Makila lovingly embraced Zenya who was caught in her arms as she laughed with joy.

"Was this the gift Anven gave you?" Mom pointed out gently holding my sister's hand. The little girl flashed a smile and nodded with an air of superiority.

"Aunty Ven told me that it is a very valuable artifact and that it would protect me from any evildoer who would come near me." Boasted Zenya with great pride in her voice. The gift had not only delighted her but had even struck a chord in her heart. Receiving an artifact, which with her mindset was a legendary item, was every child's dream. I couldn't deny that I felt somewhat jealous about it, but today Zenya was the protagonist, and I couldn't afford such a thing.

"I guess Anven really can give normal stuff from time to time." Despite her words, Mom still looked a little worried, but Dad immediately stepped in, shaking his head as a sign that it was best to leave it at that. "Zenya, you have to be very careful with that, okay? Anven gave it to you because she knows it will protect you, but you must also take care of it, understood?"

"Yes, I'll take good care of it, Daddy!"

As everyone smiled warmly at her, Sarka walked over to Makila, handing me over, and then moving over to Zenya. She slowly knelt on the ground to be at the same height as the little girl and gave her a tight hug. She was secretly dedicating some words to her, as it showed on her face. Soon after she reciprocated the hug and smiled with closed eyes, satisfied for the moment she was sharing with our older sister.

My parents didn't say anything, nor did they move from their place. They just waited for my sisters to finish enjoying their moment of fraternity, which lasted only a short time.

Sarka got up from the floor and nodded to Mom, who immediately stepped forward.

"Zenya, it's time for you to go greet the guests. Be sure to greet them all properly, remember everything Lady Grawfalls has taught you."

"Yes, Mother."

"Remember not to be too long with each one, you must do it politely, but quickly so you can greet them all."

"I-I understand Mother."

"Remem-"

"Mother, she can do just fine. I'll be with her."

Mom froze for a moment, before coughing to hide her slightly flushed face. I knew she was the type to worry too much, but even knowing that was a bit surprising. Pretty cute, though.

Dad gave her a smile, while Makila, hid her laughter with one hand.

"A-anyways. Honey, I want you to remember just one thing."

"Y-yes. W-what is it?"

"It's okay if you made a mistake. It's okay if you don't get it right the first time. All we want you to do is to try. Even if it takes you a while to get the hang of it, we're always going to support you."

"..." Sarka heard those words with an expression I couldn't quite recognize. She looked sad and happy at the same time.

Mom took Zenya's hand and wrapped her own hands around it as she told her that. Her motherly expression captivated me and her words had taken me by surprise. "That's a real mother," I thought to myself.

She doesn't put unnecessary pressure on her daughter and doesn't impose her expectations on her. She... she just expects her daughter to strive and hopes the best for her, supporting her unconditionally.

They...they really are a true family.

I felt a prick in my heart. Was I part of this family? Would I get those same words too? Did I even deserve them?

Before I could continue with that depressing line of thought, Zenya approached Makila, signaling for me to come over to her.

"Tya, I'm going away for a while. When I come back, we'll eat cake together, okay?"

Ah, my wonderful sister. You comfort me even without knowing it. You are the best.

I responded with a smile and some happy babbling, which provoked in her that sweet smile that always fills me with happiness.

Sarka stood next to her and took her by the hand, instructing her to bow to us, which she complied perfectly.

"So, if you'll excuse us, father, mother, Makila; Zenya, and I will go and greet the guests."

"Hmm, father, mother, Makila, I take my leave. We'll be back soon."

"Do your best. And, Sarka?"

"Yes, father?"

"You know what to do with... overly insistent guests." Father decreed in an extremely serious tone, to which Sarka responded in kind.

"...Understood, Father."

Zenya looked confused, mom and makila just smiled wryly as they shook their heads. My two sisters held hands and left after that.

"With Sarka by her side, I have nothing to worry about." With a sigh, Mom let those words out, before clinging to Dad's arm.

"Even if she wasn't, I'm sure she'd do fine. You worry too much." He replied, hugging her closer to his body.

"I don't want to hear that from the one who just sent his daughter to 'protect her sister' from our guests."

"Ahem, shouldn't you check how everything is going with the servants?"

"Hum, well, I'll let you go this time."

Mom teased for a moment before kissing Dad on the cheek, then one to Makila, and a final kiss on my forehead. Then she disappeared into the crowd, checking that everything was as it should be, giving orders to each of the maids or butlers who went around the place with drinks and appetizers.

There was a long silence as we watched the place. Dad and Makila were standing without looking at each other, or speaking to each other. That silence was uncomfortable. I didn't know how well or badly the two would get along. When mom is with them, they seem to get along well, which was very good. But now that they were alone, this being the first time I've seen them truly alone since that time I met Dad for the first time, I don't know what could happen, or what they could say to each other. And that worried me.

I... I think I would have liked to have gone with my mother...

ย 

Surprise IM back! Things went pretty well with my mother and there were no complications. I returned the last week, and I wanted to take a few days to rest and get used to my house again. It was strange to come back and feel like it wasn't my own home.

But enough of that!

We start with Zenya's birthday party. It is a big event with many important people. Some will be mentioned, and others will not appear until much later in the story, but it will be a good time for you to capture some of those who will be friends and enemies in the future. There is a surprise at the end of the party, but you will have to wait until then to find out!

One more thing. I tried as much as I could to give a good description of the characters and their actions while introducing themselves to the guests. I feel like I did a good job but I don't know how you guys will see it. This is the part where I got help from an AI, but it's easy to tell that it's really not as good as I expected. The descriptions are flat, very general and... well, weird most of the times. I wanted to see how an AI would describe it and maybe that would help me do it on my own. And in fact it helped me... to understand how not to do it xd I feel that this is exactly the use that they should be given. Don't ask them to do an entire scene and use that, but rather show "examples" and for you as the author/writer to capture ideas from it and improve what you have already done.
It would be very useful if you could give me your opinions on this matter.

Well, that's all from me. I'll see you next week!

39