Chapter 13
902 9 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day the whole family gathered at the table for breakfast. Well, everyone except Losward, who was never home.

Dad was seated at the end of the table, as the family leader. Mom to his right and Makila next to her. Across from Mom was Sarka, who seemed down after being grounded for what happened yesterday at the party. She was giving Dad a few glances as if asking for help, but he wasn't even paying attention to her. Whether it was deliberate or because he seriously didn't notice, I didn't know, but she definitely wouldn't get any help from him.

Zenya, on the other hand, was sitting next to Sarka, pouting. Why? Well, it was because she found out that all of us, except her and Dad, met Duchess Katarina last night. She was very happy with the earrings she left her as a gift, so much so that she had them on right now, but she was still upset that no one woke her up so she could at least thank her.

Apart from them, my parents were all smiles. Mom for being reunited with her great friend, and Dad because he now had a collection of lumigraphs of me and Zenya. Of course, he already returned the Kadotype to Zenya, but he decided to keep the lumigraphs he already had done.

Where was I? Well on Makila's lap, where else?

"Open wide Nita."

"Ahhhh. Hmm."

"Yummy?"

I nodded vigorously. It really was. Makila had taken it upon herself to feed me that delicious chunky porridge they started feeding me for breakfast lately, and I was more than happy about it. A little embarrassing to be fed that way, but hey, she was happy doing it and I was happy eating it. So, win-win.

Oddly enough my teeth had started to come in pretty quickly. I counted them. I had 8 in total and I was already able to chew quite well even though they were few... and they were mostly canines. Yes, you heard right. Of the 8, 6 were canines, which only meant that I was mostly carnivorous, something that made me feel amazed. Meat, of any kind, is a real pleasure to consume.

Things were going pretty well this morning.

"By the way, Fia, what happened to the girl you've been taking care of? Ameli was her name, wasn't it? I heard she'd been feeling bad, to the point where she couldn't leave her bed, but hasn't it been too long already? What did the physician say?"

Makila sighed sadly and wiped my mouth before giving me another spoonful of that delicacy of the gods and answering Mom.

"The physician said she wasn't sick, but that she seemed exhausted. Nothing beyond that. I assigned her easier jobs. I was looking forward to seeing how she progressed. I was just planning to talk to her in the afternoon and see how she's doing."

Hearing that made me feel sorry for Ameli, as she used to be the most energetic and cheerful of the maids in charge of taking care of me. Learning that she'd been feeling unwell, preventing her from even working was worrying.

"Hmm. I hope it's not too seriously a problem. It's about time to assign Zenya a personal maid, and I was hoping to give her that position."

"My personal Maid!?" Zenya asked a little too enthusiastically, causing some of the food on her plate to spill onto the table. The very impolite act did not go unnoticed, and Zenya earned a disapproving look from Mom, causing her to sit up straight with a stiff expression.

Mom sighed before answering. "Yes, now that you've reached this age it's time to assign you one, and that girl was one of my candidates. But, if she doesn't seem to be up to it, it would be best to assign another. I'll see that in the afternoon."

Zenya's mood seemed to change completely after those words. She seemed to be extremely excited about it. Although I didn't understand why it was such a big deal.

"Speaking of maids," Dad said, drawing everyone's attention. "The festival is in 3 days. Have you already thought about who will take care of Orinthya while we're gone?"

"Right. At least one of us should stay with her."

"I was planning to stay." Makila immediately offered, as if it were the most obvious solution, but Mom immediately refused to let her.

"No, I need you to accompany me this year. Baroness Orsant will be among the helpers, and you know how complicated it is for me to deal with her."

"Couldn't Hal help you with that?"

"No. Unfortunately, I have to be in the places of honor. Besides, if I'm not there, who would take care of Zenya? It's her first festival, I can't leave her alone with Sarka. I don't plan to leave both girls alone."

Makila sighed, feeling somewhat defeated. She wanted to stay with me that day, but her plans were quickly shattered.

The 3 of them were silent as they considered what solution they could give to this dilemma, given that, for some reason, I could not attend. I would need to be at least 5 years old to be able to do so if the fact that it was Zenya's first time attending, was the norm and not a fluke.

Even if there were a large number of maids in the mansion who could take care of me, it was much more reassuring for them that at least one member of the family would stay with me. At that instant, the only person who could take that role spoke up.

"I... could I stay and take care of her?" Sarka, doubting her proposal, raised her hand. Mom narrowed her eyes suspiciously. She seemed to be trying to find some ulterior motive for why she would offer to stay. A doubt that was put into words by Makila.

"Lara, why would you volunteer so suddenly? You've never liked to miss any of the winter festivals, much less this one."

"There's no one else who can do it. Besides, I... I don't want to go this year after what happened with the Eleios family."

Sarka lowered her head, looking depressed. Mentioning the Eleios, caused Mom and Makila to share a glance, before diverting to Dad, who did nothing but sigh somewhat sadly and nod to both of them.

"I understand. You can stay this time." Sarka nodded in relief and thanked them.

"But," Makila added in a warning tone. "If we find out that you have done something similar to what happened yesterday, I won't be as gentle as your mother was, understood?"

"Y-yes, Makila! I promise." Makila nodded in approval, shared a look with Dad and Mom, and continued to feed me. Dad gave her a few words, mostly telling her about what to do and who to send in case something happened.

Breakfast ended shortly after that. Everyone ended up splitting up to do their things. Dad went straight to his office and Mom along with Makila left together to work on things related to the festival. Sarka went off to do her things while Zenya and I were taken by the maids to the room that had become my playroom.

The rest of the morning Zenya was helping me to walk.

Surprisingly enough, she was very patient. She was guiding me from the front, close enough to catch me if I fell, which happened quite a few times. The fact that I made it to her without failing the day before was a miracle. My sister kept giving me words of encouragement like "You're doing great Tya, keep it up" or offering me candy if I made it a certain distance without falling.

It was a great motivation. They were pretty tasty candies, what can I say?

After all that exercise, which Zenya called "walking lessons"; we rested for lunch. The maids brought the food up to the room. They said everyone was still pretty busy, so everyone would eat where they were.

This time it was Zenya's turn to feed me. She was very careful. Or well, as much as a 5-year-old could be. It was a bit of a mess, but I managed to eat enough to feel satisfied. It was lucky I had a bib to keep me from getting dirty.

After lunch, we took a little nap together. Zenya has a habit of cuddling me very carefully even while she sleeps, so having these naps with her; apart from being incredibly special, is also very comfortable and one of my favorite things to do together with her.

I woke up a couple of hours later, in the middle of the afternoon. Zenya was already awake and one of the maids, who I recognized as Tina, was showing her how to feed me better without spilling half the plate on me... or on her. She noticed me almost immediately and ran to me as fast as she could.

"Tya! Hi, did you sleep well?" she asked in a soft voice as she gently stroked my head.

I nodded immediately, eliciting a cute smile on her face.

She was about to say something else to me when we heard a knock on the door.

"Young Lady Zenya, it's me, Neth."

"Neth? Come in."

Neth, Sarka's exclusive maid, came into the room, gave us a little greeting, and then approached Zenya to deliver a message from our older sister.

I had seen this girl only a few times, maybe 2 or 3 times. She was almost always running an errand for my sister, and those few times I got to see her it was in passing. Only now could I see her in detail.

She was not very tall, just a few inches taller than my own older sister. Her jet-black skin, impeccably manicured, complemented her bright purple hair, which was short and lent a touch of maturity to her appearance. Or at least that's what I thought. She was very different from anyone I had seen so far.

A sort of cloth mask covered most of her face, leaving her ears, nose, and mouth barely visible. She had no eyes, or at least it seemed so.

How did she guide herself through the world then? Well, she had two long appendages on her head that protruded from her forehead. A combination of moth antennae and peacock feathers. They were very smooth-looking and moved above her head as if they were scanning everything around them.

Another striking detail about her was that she possessed a scaly, rather reptilian tail, looking more like a snake than a tail, and of a dull black hue that seemed to absorb all the light around it. It was long and thin, enough to wrap about 2 times around her own body.

Spoiler

[collapse]

She was part of those unusual tribes that worked at the mansion. One that I didn't know the name of and would love to learn more about.

"Young lady Sarka instructed me to inform you that she wishes to have afternoon tea with both of you in the garden annex. She mentioned that she wishes to enjoy some quality time with her little sisters."

Zenya thought about it for a moment, looking at me, back at Neth, and then at the other 2 maids who were taking care of us. Then she nodded in agreement.

"Young Lady, would you like to change into something more comfortable?" asked Seria, one of the maidservants.

"Hmm. Can you change Tya too?"

"Of course. Tina?"

"Yes, leave it to me!"

They both seemed excited about it, but I decided not to make a big deal out of it. One of the two was always there when I was changing clothes, whether it was with Mom or Makila, so they already knew exactly what I liked to wear... or at least what my "mothers" liked me to wear.

One complete change of clothes later, and we were both ready to go.

Although it was already winter, and the weather was quite cold, it didn't look like it was starting to snow yet. Fortunately, we were wearing quite warm clothes, something to be thankful for. I felt comfortable and warm, and, funny as it sounds, I felt like a plush doll, which was funny in many ways.

The garden had become a somewhat faded place thanks to the winter cold. Gone were those beautiful and impressive flowers I was used to seeing. Now they were bushes with dull leaves, and plants that looked dead, being just branches and nothing more. A few of them still kept their green colors; similar to the pine trees, but they looked a little sad for not being able to show their usual beauty.

We walked for a while through one of the garden paths to a small enclosed gazebo, it looked more like a greenhouse than a place you would go to for afternoon tea. It was a place I sometimes visited with Mom and Makila to eat sweets and spend time together. Those few times when they would both walk around the garden with me and take the opportunity to strengthen their relationship. Which translated into them taking turns attacking me with kisses and caresses on my head, then kissing and professing love to each other.

I'm not saying it's wrong... just, why did they have to do that when they were with me? I'm not complaining, I like to see how much they love each other, but... well, it's awkward.

Anyway.

We arrived at the small gazebo and saw Sarka sitting on one of the chairs waiting for us. Neth was behind her, with a neutral expression.

Tina, who was carrying me, immediately set me down on the floor so I could walk on my own. Of course, Zenya took my hand and walked with me. She is a very attentive sister.

Upon seeing us, Sarka immediately ran over to greet us both cheerfully. She bent down and gave us both a hug and a kiss. Zenya hung onto her in her embrace, more than happy for the physical contact with our sister.

I hadn't mentioned it until now, but Zenya seriously loves spending time with Sarka. After all, before I was born it was just the two of them, so the bond they had formed was already strong enough.

My arrival, instead of changing that, only strengthened it. Now they both had a new baby sister to spoil.

Also, it seemed Sarka was in a better mood, which was reassuring.

We moved to the table after that cuddle session. Tina and Seria moved next to Neth to serve us tea and snacks and then stood off to the side, waiting for any orders we could give them.

My two sisters sat across from each other, happy to be able to spend time with the three of us together. I, of course, was on Sarka's lap drinking my beloved raval fruit juice.

"Nya, how do you feel now that you are 5 years old, was it just as you thought?"

Zenya; Nya as Sarka usually calls her, shook her head. Her expression was thoughtful, as she tried to come up with an answer.

"It's... just the same, I think."

"Hahaha, it's just like I told you, right?"

"I guess..." Zenya replied reluctantly while pouting very prettily.

"Come on, don't be like that. At least you got lots of good gifts, right? Some better than others... and with better intentions."

Sarka sounded like she was teasing her a little, but there was a hint of annoyance in her tone. Obviously, I knew why. That jerk who dared that act so... Just remember him, I want to destroy him.

Zenya on the other hand was still pouting, dissatisfied with the fact that things were not as she expected.

I guess she thought she would become a "big girl" once she reached that age.

"Didn't you like my gift?" asked Sarka, her voice feigning sadness. Poor Zenya almost knocked over her teacup at the surprising question.

"N-no! I loved it! Kiki is cute, and he's super friendly, and... and..."

"Pff."

"..."

Once again, Zenya had that pout. This time, she puffed out her cheeks so much they looked like they were going to burst. Seconds later, she turned her gaze away, angry at Sarka.

“Sis, you dummy!”

Sarka laughed out loud at such an adorable sister. It was hard not to. Zenya was dangerously adorable.

"There, there. I won't bother you anymore my lovely Nya, will you forgive me?"

"Hum" Zenya snorted, not intending to answer her. But she gave us a sidelong glance as if she expected something else.

"Aren't you going to forgive your dear big sister?"

"Hum!"

"I see, then I guess there's nothing to do. I was going to offer to sit you on my lap with Tya, but if you don't wan-"

"I WANT TO!" without letting Sarka finish speaking, Zenya hurriedly got down from her chair before our sister could change her mind.

Sarka simply picked her up, sitting her next to me on her lap. She immediately hugged us both tightly, rubbing her face on our cheeks, and making us laugh. I felt happy. Incredibly happy. It's nice to have an older sister who shows this level of affection, and who shows us both the same level of affection.

Together, we ate several sweets. They both took turns feeding me, although they were warned by the maids not to give me too much or my stomach might hurt later. I understood...I did since I used to do the same with my little sister, but...isn't it okay just this once? I tried to make puppy dog eyes at the maids so they wouldn't say anything, something Zenya helped me by doing the same, but they were tough opponents. And the biggest blow was that Sarka sided with the maids.

I changed my tactic and "attacked" Sarka with the same look, but although it seemed to work for a moment, she managed to withstand it. I had no choice but to accept defeat.

The rest of the time we spent playing and laughing together. Sarka took the opportunity to bring out some of her storytelling ability. A talent I was not aware of. Zenya liked to tell me stories and things she did during her studies, teaching me everything she learned. Makila was more... technical. Not that she was bad at storytelling... No, I take it back, she is very bad at storytelling.

Makila is more the type to lecture on more serious topics. She has a great ability for that, but for telling stories and tales to a little girl... well, now you know why Zenya and I sometimes "used" her to sleep.

Dad is surprisingly good. A couple of times he told me some stories while I was spending time with him. Many of those were of legendary characters that he himself admired, and the way he told them was almost like being inside the story itself.

Mom... she had never told me a story before. Of course, she made up for it by spending time with me, playing and laughing together, so I had no complaints about that. But strangely we rarely did anything together. The few times we were alone, it was almost always for a fairly short time.

Actually... I just realized that the person I've spent less time with since I was born is Mom...

Uh...

I... I think I better not keep thinking about it or I'm going to feel depressed.

Back to the topic.

We had a good time as sisters. I was able to learn quite a bit about them in that time.

Sarka was the kind of sister who liked to tease her little sisters a lot, but who was also very affectionate. Something I'd already noticed from the first time I saw her. She is very attentive and protective; she makes sure that both Zenya and I are comfortable. If she notices that either of us wants something or something is going to happen to us, she acts immediately. If I had to describe her in a few words, I would say that Sarka will be a very good mother. That might be the most correct way to describe her personality. The funny thing is, she doesn't seem to be aware of it.

Sarka still has those dangerous looks, just like when I first saw her, and I feel that's partly because she wants that from the bottom of her heart; to have a son or daughter. But I also felt that something was wrong with her. Lately, she has seemed down and sad, and I'm not talking about yesterday's events. Seeing her this way today, so cheerful and loving, makes me feel relieved.

As for Zenya, she is, well... a child.

Okay, I know, I know it sounds obvious, but that's how I feel about her. She is very playful, energetic, and adorable. If it's about me or Sarka, she will give her full attention immediately. For other things, she is quickly distracted. She is easily impressed, and very giggly.

She is also a lot smarter than you might think. This is something I noticed since I said that she usually gets to tell me all the new things she learns. It takes her a while to describe them, but it's pretty obvious that she understands them. She is quite good at math, coming to understand basic operations quite easily, and she understands music to a good level, something we already know is one of her hobbies. And, above all, although she acts childish, she has a serious side that is quite... mature? I think that's what best describes her. There are moments when she acts quite mature and lucid, something that was very noticeable at her birthday party.

And speaking of which, Sarka brought up the subject about it.

"Nya?"

"Yes?"

"Thanks for helping me yesterday."

"Oh, hehe, no problem sis. Sorry, I couldn't stop Mom from finding out about it."

"That's okay. I already knew it was hard to get away with."

Sarka sighed resignedly as she stroked Zenya's head. That little escapade yesterday was planned by both of them.

"Did you get a chance to see her?"

"...Yes. I was able to see her."

Sarka blushed a little, remembering the person she met last night...or what she did with her. I didn't know, but I could see the smile she had on her face, which gave me enough clues to know that this was the person she liked.

"Is she your lover?"

The question caused her eyes to widen in surprise, also causing her face to redden even more than it already was. She immediately coughed to try to disguise it, but it was obvious she hit the nail on the head.

Oh ho! So, my big sister has a girlfriend, huh? I guess the situation between Mom and Makila doesn't seem to be unique to them. Still, if it's more normal than expected, then why do they seem to hide all the time?

" S-something like that." She replied nervously blushing. She averted her gaze as she had a smile on her lips and repeated the word "lover" in whispers.

"When are you going to see her again, can I meet her?"

"Oh... I was... actually, we were going to meet on the day of the festival, but..."

Did something happen?

Zenya tilted her head and frowned, perhaps asking herself the same question I was.

"She invited me, but...I didn't answer her." Sarka lamented with a sad smile, perhaps trying not to worry Zenya. Though she failed miserably, the girl became just as sad.

"Why, don't you want to see her?" asked Zenya, curious and worried. It seemed that she was wishing that things between our sister and her girlfriend would go well.

"It's just... things happened recently and I don't feel comfortable attending this year."

Those words only caused Zenya more concern, but before she could ask more about it, Sarka stopped her and added with a reassuring smile.

"But it's all right. We'll both go next year and we'll all have fun together, shall we?"

"Really?" asked Zenya, a little doubtful if she would keep her word.

"Sisterly promise."

Sarka put her forehead against Zenya's, closing her eyes and giving her one of those Eskimo kisses, rubbing the tips of her nostrils. I guessed it was their "pinky promise" version.

At least the act was enough to reassure Zenya and she resumed her previous cheerfulness. But she couldn't fool me. Something was bothering her, but I couldn't tell if it was because of that girl or what she said happened to her. At least with that, I had figured out why she seemed so down lately.

"What's wrong Tya?" asked Sarka, realizing I was too quiet and pensive.

I hugged her and stayed glued to her. That was all I could do for now. I promised myself to find some way to help her. I definitely will.

"Ah, me too, me too!" Zenya immediately jumped in, hugging the opposite side of our big sister. The three of us laughed together. So much so that we infected even the maids who were watching from the side of our sisterly moment.

Our day ended that way. In a good mood, and with me understanding a little better how my sisters were.

I just hope that on the day of the festival, things go well for everyone.

 


 

Friasan Race:

Spoiler

They tend to be much taller than the average Asherian, also having much greater strength, vitality, and endurance. The most striking characteristics of their race are the horns on their heads and their skin color, which usually goes in quite varied dark and metallic tones, ranging from copper, violet, jet black, and gray.

As with the hair color that usually varies between the colors white, gray, and red. The sclera of their eyes is usually completely black, along with golden, intense red, violet, and green irises. The only exception, like the rest of the races, is usually the "cloudeyes", those with gray eye color.

Like most Asherians, they have "rutting" periods, which are the shortest in between compared to other tribes. Consisting of 2 weeks every 6 to 9 years, they are some of the most abundant.

At present, there are very few purebred Friasans. When they first arrived in these lands. Through a deal with the Revant, they decided to interbreed, trying to save the Revant, and also, to improve their lineage by taking advantage of the strength and magic contained in them.

Unfortunately, the plan did not work as expected, and the Revant ended up becoming extinct.

Even so, the current Friasan continues to honor those who gave them a home by holding a festival in their memory.

Although they are currently a rather diluted race due to interbreeding, they have retained many of their ancestral characteristics. Also, their children, even if they are born of a couple from another tribe, usually keep some of these characteristics, be it their horns, hair, or skin color. They are also one of the 3 races that have a small probability of giving birth to dual mages; children born with 2 intrinsic attributes.

Their life expectancy is currently around 220 years, and it is believed that in the past it may have been less, around 100 years, but thanks to the Revant, their life expectancy has skyrocketed.

[collapse]

 

Well, here comes a new chapter and with it, interesting things. Losward still hasn't shown up yet. He should change his name to Lost Ward. (Bad joke. Sorry.) We learn that something happened with Sarka and a family named Eleios. Who could they be? Ameli is strangely frazzled and without her usual cheerfulness. (I know she hasn't been out much since I introduced her, but believe me, she's a very cheerful and energetic girl). And we had a very nice day of sister bonding. A good day, don't you think?

Sarka has a girlfriend! Or so it seems, doesn't it? It's something we'll see soon since the next chapters are.... *Drum roll* A POV of Sarka! Many of the things that have happened to her since shortly before Tya's birth until now. I hope I got them right and that it differs from Orinthya's POV. You don't know how much I suffered writing chapter 15... no, seriously you don't know. I started writing it on December... I finished it, really finished, on this week Monday night... at least I made progress since I knew exactly what it was about, but it was a real pain in the ass to write it and get it right. I had to rewrite it 3 times... COMPLETELY REWRITE IT 3 TIMES. I'm sure you'll notice the point where I didn't know how to continue and the instant, I managed to find how to do it xd anyway it will go through quite a bit of editing and corrections... I just hope I don't find something that makes me rewrite it all over again...

Anyway. This is all about the chapter. From here on it will be something I need to mention but you don't need to read it if you don't want to. For those of you who will not read this, thanks for reading. Don't forget to leave your comments and criticisms, I really need them if I want to improve myself!

Spoiler

Now yes, this goes in spoiler because it contains quite a bit I want to say.

First things first. This is good news. Last Thursday, while I was struggling tirelessly with chapter 15... to make a change of pace and maybe find a new idea to use, I decided to reread my old ROTDM chapters. And guess what? I became fond of my baby Reilanis again. The creativity bug bit me pretty hard and, just to see how things were going, I decided to try to rewrite that first chapter. It was a success. I rewrote it completely and... I don't know, I feel it was much, much better than the first time. With that same energy, I continued with the next one, and I ended up rewriting up to the 4th chapter. It's very different. They still keep a similar line, but you can tell it's now something new.

I also removed some things from the story, like events, conversations, and information (that I definitely shouldn't have given at the time), changed some facts that, to be completely honest, gave me a lot of cringe, and there was a name change for a character. Yes, she is one of the main characters, but I feel that now her name is more... poetic. You'll understand.

Oh, also, for those who read it, and know how cruel I can be to my characters (something I'm not very proud of, but I'm glad to know I can do), there will be much worse things. Yes... much worse than what already happened in the first version. So be prepared for what's coming in the new one.

The purpose of telling you all this is because not only do I plan to seriously start rewriting ROTDM now that I have the inspiration and good spirits, but also to warn you that the other story I promised may be delayed much longer than expected or could have changed.

Of course, that story will be made, but it may end up being much shorter than expected, or I will publish its chapters on a less regular basis than the Orinthya story and the Reilanis story.

My intention currently is to keep Wednesdays for Orinthya, rewrite the entire Arc 0 of ROTDM, which used to be 19 chapters, and once finished, publish one at a time perhaps on Thursdays, or choose another day, I don’t know yet.

Thanks to this I have now decided to keep a writing schedule, which should make things easier for me so as not to get confused.

Also, I am gradually generating new images of Reilanis' family. She was the first, though... it fits well, but she's a lot taller than she should be, and I'm doing my best to correct that... although it takes quite a bit of a struggle.

Oh, one last thing... this may sound a little strange but... did I ever mention the name of the suns in Life of Change? I vaguely remember doing it, I even remember putting a note or comment talking about how long it took me to name them, but no matter how much I search through the chapters, I can't find anything about it. I found the first mention of this in the chapters that I have not yet published. Am I suffering from any Mandela effect? Am I imagining things? If anyone remembers it and can point it out to me, I would appreciate it, because seriously, no matter how hard I searched, I couldn't find anything even in my personal notes.

No, well, I do have an entry with the names of both suns, but they are different names than the ones I remember having "used" and this doubt is driving me crazy.

Anyway, that's all for these notes. I will only say that for ROTDM the litrpg tag was changed and it will no longer contain almost anything related to a video game system, levels, and so on. There will be very few things that will ever use it, but I will abandon it. I'm terrible at that. I already tried to fix it and made it more complicated than it should be, so goodbye RPG elements.

[collapse]

Thanks, everyone, see you next week!

27