Chapter 15
827 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After leaving the restaurant, and meeting our escorts, we walked through the streets, admiring each of the stores and street stalls.

The atmosphere in the center of the capital was vibrant. Many people were walking briskly by our side, with smiles and a strange aura of joy—a perfect contrast to the festive atmosphere that was beginning to form in the city. Blue and white ribbons, and arbeta flowers1 Arbeta, or Winter Star is a flower that blooms in the coldest months of the year, filling the landscape with its heavenly beauty and unparalleled charm. Its growth habit is characterized by a ground plant with leaves that unfurl low, revealing a slender twig that rises majestically toward the sky. From this twig sprout hundreds of small flowers in shades of blue, light blue, and some subspecies in bluish violet and dark purple, forming a spectacle of color that dazzles those who have the privilege of beholding it.
The Winter Star is a symbol of purity and grace, evoking the image of a celestial figure that illuminates the night sky with its radiance. It represents the hope and renewal that come with the arrival of the winter season, as well as the timeless beauty that endures despite adversity. It is the representative flower of the White Lady.
, representing the White Lady, were hung on the facades of buildings and in flower pots on street stalls. It was a tradition to receive the blessings of the Pillar of the Seasons and the origin of all the winds in her passage through the world, which she covered with her white mantle.

Street food stalls offered their unique seasonal foods. The cheerful and lively sounds, added to the light trot of the Ekus'2 The Eku is a majestic bipedal bird that evokes the image of speed and elegance in motion. With an average height of 2 meters; alphas reaching 4 meters, these slender animals stand out for their muscular legs, which allow them to reach impressive speeds of up to 300 km/h and maneuver with an agility that rivals that of any horse.
Covered with feathers of various colors and with varied designs, the Eku are true visual spectacles. Their plumage can present a wide range of hues, from vibrant reds and yellows to more subtle shades of blue and green. Although they have wings, these are more decorative than functional and are rarely used for anything, although it is known that they can glide for short periods of time despite their considerable weight, which can reach up to 180 kg.
legs pulling the carriages that advanced through the streets, turned the place into a center of lively activity that would soon become one of the largest festivals in the empire.

And then there was us. Two young noble girls, walking side by side, admiring the bright colors that embellished the capital. My arm is entwined with Nisire's, and my heart is pounding with excitement.

Very few times in my life, I had the luxury of walking the streets of the capital without my parents nearby, so this day; this date, had become something I would keep in my memory for a lifetime. Walking with someone I love, admire and respect was a dream come true.

This day became one of those rare moments when I could throw away my mask and be me. And all thanks to Neth, who had inspired me with courage.

Nisire and I were chatting about how beautiful the capital had become with all the preparations for the festival when I noticed a store I had once gone to with Makila. A jewelry store with quite a good reputation.

This might be a good opportunity to give Nisire something special. I might as well take advantage of it and buy Neth a birthday present.

I pointed out the place to Nisire and, nodding in response, she escorted me to that place. We told the escorts to stay outside and went in with our respective maids.

Lestain Jewelry and Goldsmithing. It is one of the most famous and exclusive in the art of jewelry and precious metalwork, even making exclusive works for the imperial family. Some of our jewelry had been ordered from this establishment, so I knew their work quite well.

"Welcome, Lady Sarka Baelian, and to her companion. It is a pleasure to have you with us today. My name is Raelia, and I am charged with fulfilling your requests. What can I do for you today?"

A Valven girl, with short blonde hair, greeted us with a bow. She wore a full suit, which made her look quite manly, but also, accentuated her feminine curves. Her silver eyes indicated her joy at welcoming us as customers, they sparkled with anticipation as she waited for our response.

"I’m showing the capital to my friend Nisire Burmont, daughter of Count Burmont, and I think it would be very nice to have a good memory of this day. What can you recommend?"

Nisire gave me a surprised look. Her expression told me that she hadn't expected me to intend to present her with a gift. She seemed quite happy about it, though.

"I see. Then I'll bring our best products. You can take a seat here. Hilia, can you bring something to drink for our customers?"

Raelia pointed to a large leather sofa a few steps away from her, then called one of the maids standing to the side as she moved inside the backroom. The girl, Hilia, moved immediately, bringing with her a tray with cups and a teapot.

We took a seat on the couch just a few steps at the side of the shop, our maidservants moved quickly to help Hilia and began pouring us both some tea, then positioned themselves behind the sofa.

"Then, My Lady." Nisire began, giving me a curious look. "Is this some sort of plan?"

"Plan?"

"You're not going to tell me we just happened to walk in here, are you?"

"It certainly wasn't by chance, although I had no intention of going in at first." I replied calmly as I sipped at my tea. A refreshing sweet taste with a hint of mint. This place serves pretty impressive teas.

"So, did we really go in just because it seemed like a good idea?" Nisire asked with a slight frown.

"Yes. Is something wrong, don't you like this place?"

"No, it's not that My Lady. It's just that..." She stopped mid-sentence. But before I could urge her to continue, the clerk girl returned with other workers, bringing with her some beautifully adorned boxes, which contained the jewelry I had requested.

"Young Lady Sarka, here are my top recommendations." Raelia stopped in front of us, bringing with her the first product and placing it in full view of both of us. "These are earrings made of silver with banerite gemstones. We have several different designs, but this is my recommendation."

The Valven took a beautiful pair of earrings and placed them on a small cushion that the maid, Hilia, had left on the table.

They were quite beautiful. It had a banerite stone, of a bright orange color, at the top held by "claws" made of polished silver. Under this, there was a piece molded in a diamond shape, from which came two wings made of the same polished silver. At the end, a larger gem, held by 4 silver claws. A rather elegant design that gave off a rather fierce feeling. 

Spoiler

[collapse]

On Nisire; who already radiated a gentlemanly aura, they would look perfect. Her dark skin would make them stand out even more. But for some reason, I felt that this was not the ideal. Raelia seemed to notice and switched to others, showing us a different design.

"This is one of the most popular. Lately, it has become fashionable for young ladies to wear asymmetrical earrings, and this design has been one of the most requested."

Another pair was placed in front of us. The first was a fairly simple earring, with 2 stones in it, a small one on the top and the larger one on the bottom held by four claws. The second one was the same, but with a gem of the same size as the second one, but just below it. It was a very simple design, but I could understand why it was popular.

Spoiler

[collapse]

Normally, symmetry in jewelry worn in pairs is especially important, but in these earrings, it worked very well. It was quite an original and beautiful design. However, it was not what I was looking for either.

Nisire, on the other hand, looked a little lost. I suspected it was because she didn't have much knowledge about jewelry.

"They are certainly very beautiful. But I believe this is not what I'm looking for."

I turned down the earrings, making an effort to sound as polite as possible. Raelia did not seem offended and only nodded at my words. She picked up the displayed earrings returned them to their box and immediately asked for the next one.

We spent a long time looking at different types of jewelry, from pendants, bracelets, rings, anklets, earrings, combs, hair rings, and head chains; which surprisingly worked even with the Nerianes tendrils. We saw many different ones, with different types of vibrantly colored gems, even mana gems, but none were right for Nisire. Until Raelia showed us the brooches.

"It's been difficult, but I think the next one will be exactly what the lady is looking for." From the box, the Valven pulled out an incredibly beautiful golden brooch. Just having laid my eyes on it had completely captivated me. "This is almost a one-of-a-kind item from our store. Our master jeweler, Fal Maerian, a Hortan from the eastern lands, was the one who designed it, forged it, and embedded the gems with his own skilled hands. It is made of an alloy of gold and diarenta. The gems used are marine grachites."

Raelia carefully placed the brooch in front of us. Nisire, who had so far failed to keep up with our conversation, seemed extremely interested in this brooch.

The body of the brooch was a dull gold, with an extremely intricate design. In its center; mimicking a flower, it had several grachite gems. A central one and 6 more elongated ones, as petals that surrounded it. At the top and bottom, 2 gems similar in size to the central one, and 2 larger ones on each side of the brooch. The brightness of the grachites seemed to change between blue and sea green, honoring the place from which it was obtained.

Spoiler

[collapse]

Both Nisire and I had fallen completely in love with such a masterpiece. I looked at the Neriane and saw the sparkle in her eyes. She wanted it, but I could tell she didn't want me to realize that, although she failed terribly at that.

Taking advantage of the fact that Nisire seemed focused on the brooch, I turned my gaze to Neth, seeking advice. She smiled brightly and gave me a nod as if she noticed my gaze.

Questions arose in my mind. How come she always knows when I'm watching her? Did she know what I was thinking and gave me the go-ahead, or was I just overthinking it?

I kept silent for a long time, doubtful. I didn't quite know what I should do. But, as my savior, Neth changed her posture. She clasped her hands together in front of her and, with a serious expression; the same one she wears whenever she gives me advice, she nodded again.

Again, I felt that she understood what I was going through and that I was asking her for advice. And she answered me. How was she able to...?

"Ah. So it was that." I thought, realizing what was going on. I smiled and whispered, loud enough so that only she could hear me.

"Thank you, my Neth."

She smiled and nodded, beautifully as always.

How was she able to realize all this? She had told me in the carriage.

«I have been by your side for almost 12 years now. I have seen the best and the worst of you, so I can safely say that no one in this world knows you better than I do

That was an absolute truth. I don't know how she's able to tell when I look at her, but that's not what's important, what's important is that she always knows exactly what I need without needing to utter a single word. That's what makes her so stunning.

With a smile on my face, I returned my attention to the brooch, then to Nisire's conflicted face, and finally to the Valven, and made my decision.

"Raelia, this is exactly what I was looking for. Nisire, do you want to try it on?" The girl immediately gave me an incredulous look. Her eyes were wide open. She opened her mouth to say something but remained silent. She then looked to her maid, who shrugged her shoulders with a wry smile. Nisire looked betrayed for a second, then closed her eyes, as she deeply reflected on something.

Seeming to have come to a decision, she opened her eyes slowly, keeping a serious expression. I could tell she was planning to reject me, so I anticipated before she could utter a word.

"Nisire, if you refuse this, I'm really going to get angry. You're not allowed to reject my goodwill."

The Neriane seemed speechless at my statement. She began to analyze my expression, looking to see if I meant it. She must have realized that I was being completely serious and consequently gave me a small smile in response.

"I understand, My Lady. Then I will gladly accept it. Thank you."

I nodded with a smile and then offered again if she wanted to try it on, this time accepting without a problem. Nisire stood to the side, as I approached carrying the brooch. I placed it just above her cleavage, where her cape would hook over. One more reason to admire that part of her body.

Not as if I was always looking at that specific place.

"How does it look?"

"Exactly as I imagined it. It looks great on you, Nisire."

That was my honest opinion. She stood out, and the grachites matched her beautiful blue eyes perfectly.

Nisire responded with a smile and looked to the side. She was blushing. A rarely seen feminine expression, but endearing and I found it quite adorable.

"I guess it's time for me to pick something out for you."

"Oh, no, you don't have to..."

"My Lady. If you don't accept, it will be me who will be angry." She said, putting on a mischievous grin, knowing that if she used my very words, I would not be able to refuse her.

I sigh at my defeat. I couldn't do anything but let her do what she wanted. In the end, it was something that had to happen, after all, we went in to buy something to commemorate this day, and it would be a waste if I didn't get something too. And, of course, it would feel much more special if she were the one to pick something out for me.

Although it was difficult, Nisire tried her best to find something that would fit me, which ended up being a cute pendant. It was made of gold and silver, with 2 blue gems in the middle and 2 green drop-shaped gems on the sides. You might think it was too simple, but it suited my tastes so well that I was genuinely impressed. Nisire was very serious about choosing it, easily and quickly discarding each one that Raelia presented to her until this one appeared.

Spoiler

[collapse]

"They are not as pretty as your eyes, but they go very well with them." Nisire said, as she indicated that she wanted to put it on me.

I immediately gathered my hair and, in an instant, it was gently put on my neck. I could feel the touch of her hands on my skin, just a light touch, but that brought a shiver throughout my body. I felt my cheeks warm and throbbing in my chest. Nisire came close to my ear, making me shiver from the breath I felt as she spoke to me.

"How is it, My Lady, is it to your liking?"

"Y-yes, it is. T-thank you, Nisire."

"It is my pleasure, My Lady."

Nisire stepped back, giving rest to my fluttering heart that kept pounding my chest loudly. I had to take a deep breath to calm myself after that unexpected, but pleasant approach.

"Lady Sarka, Lady Nisire, may we begin the proceedings?"

"O-of course. Neth, go ahead." I ordered Neth, who had always taken care of this sort of thing. She gave me a bow and replied in her soft voice.

"Yes, young lady."

"Aria, you too" Nisire ordered, indicating to her maid to do the same. She replied in kind and stood next to Neth.

"Hilia, would you?"

"Right away."

The three of them left to finalize the purchase documents, which is when I took my chance.

"Raelia, do you accept custom orders, do you not?"

"Indeed, My Lady, do you have any ideas in mind?"

"Yes, look. I need a Clugag for a Bismoriand."

Raelia looked surprised for a moment, then, as if she saw Neth with the other maids, had realized something, she smiled at me before answering.

"I see. Do you already have a design in mind, Lady Sarka?"

I nodded and asked her for pen and paper, and gave her a quick sketch of what I wanted. Fortunately, she got it perfectly. She took the drawing and immediately put it in her pocket after giving it a closer look.

"Can you have it ready in 1 week?" I asked expectantly. Neth's birthday would be in two weeks, and I wanted to have it ready by then.

"Of course. You can come pick it up in 5 days."

"Five days? That fast?" I asked impressed. I knew they were fast with their work, but I didn't expect it to be that fast.

"Efficiency is our priority, Lady Sarka," Raelia replied with a professional smile. I could tell what a high standard they were working at here.

“I can see that. Well, can you send it to my home when it's ready?"

"Absolutely, would you like us to wrap it upon delivery?"

"Yes... no, wait. No, don't. Can you place it in a similar box?" I pointed to the same box they used for the jewelry she had been showing us.

Raelia seemed to think for a moment, then nodded, affirmatively.

"Then do it, please. I think it would be ideal that way."

"Understood, Lady Sarka." Raelia gave a bow, and in that same instant, Neth, Aria, and Hilia returned with us.

"That will be all for now." I said, as we parted and I linked arms with Nisire, ready to retire. I felt comfortable that way, I couldn't describe it differently. Having come to this place today, and deciding that I should throw away the mask, might have been one of my best decisions in a long time.

"Of course. The doors of our business will always be open to your family Lady Sarka, and also to you Lady Nisire." Raelia gave a perfect bow towards both of us, keeping her expression professional and her smile perfect.

"I will keep that in mind. It was a rewarding experience, and I learned a lot from this visit. I will most definitely return when I need your services." Nisire praised. I nodded along with her, agreeing.

"It's a pleasure to hear those words. Thank you so much."

We both nodded toward the Valven girl and left the place, with our maids behind us and our escorts forming around us.

The experience at the jewelry store had certainly been rewarding. Nisire was now wearing something I had given her as a heartfelt gift, knowing it matched her perfectly, and now I was wearing something that, I knew, she had taken her time to choose. Something that she felt matched me as well.

I did not doubt that this day had gone well. Too well.

I clung even tighter to her arm, feeling both happy and nervous. I felt like I could float through the sky. But also, there was a small feeling inside me that pulled me down to the ground. The realization that the next place we were going to was the most important place of the day.

I couldn't deny that I was harboring a lot of doubts. I was afraid. But, also, thanks to Neth's advice and what had just happened, I found myself much more determined than before.

"It has been quite an enriching experience." Nisire said. Something I could completely agree with.

"It was fun watching you struggle to understand what we were saying." I joked, remembering her confused expressions as Raelia explained each different piece of jewelry and the names of the gems.

"I must say I'm not well versed in that field. I never had much interest in accessories and the like."

"..."

I was about to reply that it was a pity, as that sort of thing seemed to suit her, but before I could say it, she took back her words.

"But I think I've gained a new fascination with it today." Nisire tilted her head to meet my gaze.

Her eyes had a sparkle in them that fascinated me. It reminded me of the first time I used water magic. The reflection of the light from the sky sisters against that beautiful shade of blue, her soft, dark skin that brought out the color even more, her lips... I wanted, I desired, I needed those lips.

We stopped and stayed in that position for what seemed like an eternity. I... I wanted to kiss her. I felt the flush on my cheeks and my heart beating faster and faster. My body was demanding me to do it, to go over to her and do it.

I don't know what she was thinking, but I could feel her hand clasp mine, increasing her strength a little. We both swallowed at the same time, and I could see, for the first time since I've known her, a nervous expression on her face. She gasped, before looking away from me and clearing her throat.

"I-I'm sorry, My Lady. I, uh... where are we headed now?"

"Huh? Oh! It's..." I snapped out of my stupor at that instant and started looking back and forth down the street. Fortunately, there weren't many people where we were standing. I would have died of embarrassment if people were looking at us at that moment.

I tried to get my bearings, but the place seemed unfamiliar to me. I closed my eyes and took a moment to take a deep breath and calm down, something I needed as my mind was in chaos preventing me from thinking clearly.

A couple of breaths later, I was able to calm down and finally get my orientation. There were still some stores, but smaller, less classy buildings were starting to come into view. We were coming out of the shopping district, more specifically on the east side. Near where we were was a small square from where you could go towards the lower nobility district.

Our next destination was further north, a place commonly referred to as "Galana's hand". A huge garden where families, couples, students, and so on, sometimes frequent to spend some quality time together, or to worship the Pillar of Nature and Earth.

"My Lady? Are we...?"

"Oh, no, no. I just, needed to relocate." I replied in a bit of a panic. Luckily, I was able to recognize the place well enough to point and get back on the road; which we did immediately, walking in the right direction.

Normally, as nobles, we would take a carriage to reach our destination, but my family had taught me that walking was often better, especially when you want to spend time with someone; according to Makila, or when you simply want to stroll and clear your mind. Opulence in itself is not bad, but sometimes it's better to be simple.

The road helped a lot to calm me down, clearing my mind and just enjoying going along with Nisire. The same seemed to happen with her, because now she seemed much more curious about the places we saw along the route, asking questions frequently.

We had left the area embellished by the seasonal decorations and had arrived at the district where our objective was located.

The place had far fewer buildings, opting for a freer and more uncluttered look. There were more trees, small parks with a few people around enjoying their day, and some gardens, made and maintained by communal groups whose sole purpose was to teach the younger ones the importance of keeping nature alive. The children of Galana; those who worship only her, were in charge of teaching anyone who wanted, the principles of the Pillar to which they are devoted.

We passed by one of these groups, listening to some of the sermons.

"Young promises of our future, listen to the wise words of our Pillar, Mother of the world and all that grows in it. Her essence lives in every leaf that sways in the wind, in every tree that gives us shade, every bush that blooms, and every animal that sings its love for the great Mother.

Listen carefully, young ones, for her teachings are simple yet profound. She reminds us that we are her guardians, whose responsibility it is to care for and preserve all life; small and large, and to maintain the beauty of all that surrounds us.

Just as she nurtures the world with love, we must protect it with our effort and dedication. Every small act is an offering to the Pillar Galana, a small stone that builds a future that you, your children, and your children's children will be able to enjoy to the fullest.

Every step you take has an impact on the world. Your actions reverberate in the delicate fabric of life. Be aware of this and hold in your hearts the words of Mother Nature, "Out of harmony, wholeness is born."

May these words be engraved in your hearts for the rest of the road you travel, always remembering this precious gift, to guide your paths and lead you to eternal balance. May the love of the great mother be with you always."

The priest who gave the speech was an old man of advanced age, with a long white beard and kind eyes. He spoke passionately to the people, maintaining a bright, cheerful smile. He watched us both walk past his group as he spoke and gave us a slight nod of his head. We responded with a slight bow and, as he finished his speech, we resumed our walk.

"It is always nice to see Galana's children at this open-air preaching. All those I have come to know are just like that nice old man. Kind smiles, eyes full of light and life, and an endless passion for caring for nature."

"Is that so? This is my first time seeing one."

"Really? You're the first person I've met who's never encountered one of them before." I said in surprise.

"Yes. In Lachea there are not too many Pillar cults. The few you can find are the cult of Alika, Pillar of Life and Light, Edelgard, Pillar of Fire and War, Halari, Pillar of Hunting and Beasts, Einhert, Pillar of Honor and Brotherhood, and Fleven, Pillar of Contracts and Trade. Cults that thrive in a place in charge of mediating with the northern borderlands. There's a cathedral to the Mother Goddess, but that's something no city can be without."

I nodded in understanding. Considering that that region has other priorities, especially focused on warfare and shipping supplies, is expected that those branches will spread further and better.

Since Nisire is going to be living around here from now on, it would be good to teach her several things. So, I held on to her arm a little tighter as I began to relate to her.

"In the capital, you can almost always find one or two preachers spreading Galana's wisdom, and it is always, always pleasant to listen to them, for at all times they impart their words with the utmost respect. They never try to impose anything on you, but they do exhort those who listen to them to at least do the minimum to maintain the beauty that the mother had given us. The vast majority of the branches have a headquarters here in the capital, but not all are as deeply rooted or have many followers."

Alika, who rules over life, is necessary in every city, town, or settlement, as her children are the ones who impart healing magic and use alchemy to spread medicine throughout the regions. And Seara, Pillar of wisdom, knowledge, and magic. As with Alika, she is needed, though only in larger cities, since her children are the ones who lead and teach in the academies and universities.

Time seemed to fly as I talked to Nisire about all this. When I finally realized, we were already right at the entrance to our destination.

 

And this was the chapter from hell... My first idea was that they had a little argument before entering the jewelry store, but I couldn't find a reason to justify that, so I discarded it. Then I thought about Neth being the one to point them to the jewelry store and moved forward with that in mind, but there was a point where I got so caught up in the interaction between Neth and Sarka that I ended up discarding that as well. There were too many things that were irrelevant and added absolutely nothing. And this was the one that worked in the end. I just said, fuck it all and just had them come in, period. Sometimes simple is best, it certainly is.

The Eku and the Arbeta made me think that I should add a section in the glossary where the plants and animals that I have created are. For the moment I have already added the 2 descriptions of breeds I have published. Characters... give me some time because I want to make a simple card about them, for that and because I want to wait for Orinthya to grow up a little bit and be able to add the baby image I have of her.

Also, I'm thinking of adding all the divine pantheon, but it will also take a while I make small descriptions of all of them.

Hmm, I think that would be it for this time. I had a busy day, that's why the update is up to now. Maybe one day I'll add a map of the world and the capital as I did with ROTDM back in the day, but at the moment my hands are too busy.

That would be all for now, don't forget to leave your comments! See you next week!

20