Chapter 2: Into the Pit (2)
405 4 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: Into the Pit (2)

Hitomi never really did impulsive things like this. Frankly, it was an oddity. But she just knew that she couldn't let this go. No. She would never let this go. Her family was being threatened, and she would rather die than allow her father whom she owed so much to take on a crazed stalker. It was annoying, but it had to be done.

Yes. If Hitomi went along with her previous statement, she would have to tell her father the truth together with Ichigo. It was obvious what would happen next. Her father would be furious, and underestimate the sheer insanity of a stalker. It was likely he never encountered one before, but Hitomi had. She knew they were a different breed alltogether.

Stalkers were somewhat strange human beings in that their ability to reason was completely skewed. They always believed themselves to be right, and their overwhelming hatred towards anybody who dared oppose them usually manifests into blind rage. Usually, a normal person would realize how awful their actions were - but stalkers were different.

If they were being cruel, then it was your fault that their were provoked into doing it.

This ridiculously childish manner of thinking was why Hitomi worried so much for Ichigo.

Ichigo was already emotionally vulnerable, but today's conversation reminded her that her pseudo-sister's wounds were much deeper than she thought. 

If that stalker were to spew lies into her, or hurt her - there was a high chance she'd get really, really hurt. Those wounds would stay with her for a long time. She was a sensitive girl, prone to being much too hard on herself. Ichigo probably thought she wouldn't notice, but she did.

Hitomi worried that Ichigo would think he was telling the truth! Hitomi's nostrils flared at the thought.

She scoffed. 'If he thinks I'll let Ichigo suffer in silence, he's really delusional.'

Like most people, Hitomi didn't think this guy knew of her existence. She'd use that to her advantage. Someone had decided to threaten her cousin's life, and she wouldn't stand for it. 

Instead of going back to work, Hitomi decided she should enact her plan immediately. That way, there was less time for Ichigo to notice things were amiss. Mind made up, Hitomi walked out of the building. 

"Oh? What are you doing at a place like this, Hitomi-san?"

Hitomi turned around to see her boss, Funikida-san. "CEO. What brings you here?" the old man laughed. "Stop it with the pleasantries, it's so cold and informal. More than that, are you okay?" he asked.

"Your face, it seems like you're distressed. Ah...If you want, I'll lend you an ear."

Hitomi felt her chest grow tight, but said nothing. It wasn't Funikida-san's battle, so he shouldn't be burdened with this. Thinking like this, she readied herself to make some excuse and leave, but it must have shown on her face.

The old man cleared his throat before saying, "I know you probably think it's not in my place...But if I can, I want to be of help."

Hitomi's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. This was rather strange. Blunt as she was, she questioned him. "Why? You're the CEO. Do you ask every employee about their affairs? This is strange, even from you."

It was true. Having been employed at this man's company for two years, and knowing him for three, she knew him to be a little eccentric. It made sense; his life had been saved, he felt full of vigor and vitality, and so he didn't particularly care about keeping up appearances.

In Hitomi's opinion, Funikida Kumagorou (79) was that sort of man. 

Funikida: "Please. You'll understand when you get to my age. Truly, once your hair turns gray, people act like you're fragile like glass. I appreciate the compassion, but I like to move my body now. Do some real work, you know? Right now, my son took over the morning board meeting, and my daughter manages my bank account. They're good kids, so I don't think they're up to anything. The only side effect would be...that I'm very bored." the old man laughed and leveled her an indulgent look.

"So Hitomi-san, won't you humor an old man? I might be able to help."

Truthfully, Hitomi wanted to leave, but hearing his story made her feel oddly sorry for the old man. Yes, his company was doing great; but at that age, it was likely that his goal wasn't to make money, but to help his family out. He was a kind man. 

If nothing else, telling him would make him give her time off.

So, Hitomi told him the story. 

Once she finished, the old man was seething. It was a sight Hitomi thought was impossible.

"That's completely unacceptable! Tormenting a young girl like this...! Hitomi-san, if you want, I'll ring up my contacts at the Police Force. They might be able to figure out the identity of the culprit." Funikida rambled.

He seemed so distraught by the news that he had already fished his phone up from his pocket, ready to dial. "With this, that coward will be found quick. Your relative won't have to be afraid anymore."

Hitomi was shocked. "Wait, wait. Police Force? Why do you have contacts there?"

Funikida: "Ah, well...a lot of things happened when I was young, and somehow it became like this." He gave a nervous laugh.

Admittedly, Hitomi's initial plan wasn't 100% fullproof, but this? This was on a whole new level. This way, they'd be able to find the culprit sooner than she thought...!

And with the kind-hearted Funikida's help? There was no way that that culprit could run from the might of her revenge. The corners of her lips turned up slightly.

The old man waited for her response as she deliberated her choices inside. On one hand, accepting Funikida's help would help out immensely...but she didn't want to be indebted to him again. And as kind as that old man was, there was something...odd in the way that he was so lenient towards her.

Years of bullying taught her never to accept random acts of kindness without properly assessing the core reason behind it. 

Hitomi: 'But he's so nice...Maybe I'm wrong, I could be paranoid.'

Hitomi: "Thank you for your help...but I'll manage." She was worried that the man would take offense, so she added: "This kind of thing seems normal these days. He might not be as violent as I originally thought. Maybe he'll lose interest and leave her alone after a day or two. Still, thank you so much, Funikida-san. You're a nice boss."

'That should be enough', Hitomi wondered while plastering a small grateful smile on her face. Going full-smile would only draw suspicion...her idiot cousin told her as much. 

The old man looked strangely relieved. He coughed, "Is that so? I'm glad to have been of help. You seem much more calm now. You're right; Young men these days act like this now and then. Maybe he'll apologize to the girl and be done with it." Funikida-san asserted. "You're a trusted employee, I can't have you dazed and unprepared at work. You can leave for today, but tomorrow I expect you to do a good job!"

Hitomi: "Yes, boss. Then, I'll see you Thursday."

'Hm?' Hitomi wondered as she went to the nearest coffee shop. Looking back, Funikida's reactions were a little off today. Hitomi shrugged as she paid for her latte, 'He's an old man, and probably doesn't understand how young people think. Even his children are middle-aged. For someone like that, stalking cases must sound like they're from TV.'

Assured, she sat down with her coffee and unlocked her sister's phone. 

'GorgeousSasukeForever' was a weird password, but her sister had been a bit of a nerd during her young teen years. She didn't know she knew, though. 

Once she unlocked it, she had to brace for the insane amounts of texts. 80, 81, 82, 83...and counting. It was crazy.

The 'Ping!' sound went off so much that she had to turn off the sound. People in the coffee shop shot her dirty looks. She returned them before scowling. Then, she read the messages. 

'Are you at work yet?' 

'Answer me you w*ore.'

'You think you're better than me, huh??'

'In a few years no one will ever love you. Trashy sl*t!'

'Hey plastic surgery Queen, so pretty! Jk. Where did you get it done.'

'Tell me.'

'Idiot.'

'Hey Uggo, be honest for once!'

'Are you ignoring me??'

The mood swings were disorienting. He was truly an insane individual. The messages just kept coming. All them were just this crazy guy spewing nonsense. She almost tapped on the call button to chew him out, but she held back. 

You see, the reason Hitomi denied Funikida's offer wasn't really because she didn't want to burden him...but rather, that the police attention would prevent her from beating the man into a bloody pulp. Reading these messages confirmed her thoughts. 

'This guy...If I hand him over to the authorities, they won't punish him. The stalking laws in this country are super lax, after all. They'll probably give him a slap on the wrist and Ichigo will suffer again. He might even come back to her...It could get violent. It won't feel satisfying at all!' Hitomi seethed. 

So she send him a message. 

'Truthfully, your messages were a little scary. But now I know you did it because you love me. I was convinced of your love! I really want to meet, but I'm nervous. Can you meet me at 'Swirls' Coffee Shop'?' Hitomi threw in a 'Pwease~" for added effect. She was afraid her texts were too transparent with bloodlust. He might be a stalker, but maybe even he would notice...? 

The response was immediate. 

'Eh? You want to meet? When, where? Now? I knew you'd understand eventually! Don't worry about my feelings, you just took too long to answer! My lovely wife! I missed you!'

Gross. Hitomi continued the sugary text, 'Please come to the location alone.'

Stalker: 'Eh? Why?'

Hitomi: 'I, I'm too shy.'

Using this type of 'I' should be illegal, Hitomi mused. 'Ew. Was it even possible to gross yourself out this much?'

Hitomi was in disbelief. Still, she had to convince him to come, so she wrote:

'Um...Please don't tease me!'

'You know don't you?'

'Do you want our first date to be with onlookers? That's too mean!'

'Love, Ichigo-chwan.'

Geh...there, that should do it. This much sugary nonsense should definitely intice that crazy stalker. Otherwise, Hitomi had just lost 20 years of her lifespan for nothing.

As expected, she only waited 30 seconds before he typed; 

'Date?! Oh, Ichigo-chan! Don't worry! I'll make you the happiest woman yet!'

'I can't wait.' Hitomi ended with a bloodthirsty smile on her face. This time, she would be beat this lesson into this guy's head. 

He'd learn the taste of her fists alright. Thinking about how afraid her cousin must have been...listening to this guy's texts everyday...Hitomi's pulse raced. Anger overtook her, as her muscles grew tense and she cracked his knuckles.

'I'll end that scum's cruelty for good. For my family's safety, so they'll never be burdened by him again.' she mused.

Finishing her coffee, she left to finalize the rest of her plan. 

21