Chapter 35: This Man is Toxic!
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The hunt for Kleine had been ongoing for a week when tensions finally boiled over between Harold and the hired gang members. Residents in the vicinity heard Pikes, the gang's volatile leader, bellowing in fury. Soon after, he led his crew away from Wu Qingsong's workshop.

"Go to hell with your money," Pikes' scornful voice echoed once more.

In haste, Wu Qingsong and his team fled toward the dockside area, seeking refuge in an unmarked warehouse. A horse-drawn carriage soon rolled out from the warehouse and made a beeline for the city's northern gate.

As was customary, the city guards opened the carriage doors for a routine inspection, checking passengers and looking for any untaxed goods. Onlookers saw Wu Qingsong, Harold, Ling, and Liuli seated inside the carriage. In addition to the quartet, there was the coachman and two wolfmen serving as rear guards.

"Will he take the bait?" Ling asked, her tone tinged with anxiety, as the carriage passed through the gate.

"If he doesn't, we head straight for the Tecks Mountains," Wu Qingsong declared.

This choice meant abandoning all they had achieved, yet it filled Wu Qingsong with a sense of newfound freedom. At that moment, he realized he didn't want to lead a life of mere existence, of mediocrity.

Achieving wealth through his own intelligence and efforts would have been a different story. However, the bitter truth was, as a half-elf, he could never truly be a master of his own fate in such a world.

So, what was the point in remaining in a place like Umber?

If Kleine failed to make an appearance, Wu Qingsong decided he would venture to Nina and her group's territory to experience a completely different life.

So far, the partnership between Wu Qingsong and Nina's team had been smooth sailing, void of unpleasantries. Wu Qingsong considered them trustworthy and believed that both parties could continue to deepen their collaboration.

Nonetheless, the final say would always rest with him. If he ever grew dissatisfied with this lifestyle, he could venture to another city after duly compensating Nina and her team, setting off from the Tecks Mountains.

Drawing on his recent experiences, he was confident that he would fare even better next time.

"Is anyone tailing us?" Harold slightly cracked open the carriage window and asked the wolfman serving as their coachman.

"No one as of yet."

Wu Qingsong's hand grazed the loaded crossbow beside him. Could Kleine really have left? That didn't seem to be in his nature.

"How much farther to the agreed rendezvous point?"

"We're less than a mile away."

"Meow~ Mr. Kleine is very cunning," Liuli remarked, her voice tinged with unease.

"Quiet!" Harold's ears suddenly perked up, alert.

"Screams, right up ahead," the coachman blurted out urgently.

"Move! Signal Ram and prepare for battle," Harold instantly commanded. Then, addressing Ling and Liuli, he said, "Both of you, hide. Now!"

Wu Qingsong lifted the seat of the carriage. The vehicle, specially designed for Ram's smuggling operations, had a concealed compartment beneath the seat complete with ventilation holes for stowaways. Considering that both Ling and Liuli were of petite build, they could both easily squeeze in.

"No matter what happens out there, do not come out. And stay silent," Wu Qingsong said as he thrust a bag of money into Ling's hands.

"Wu!" Both Ling and Liuli exclaimed in unison.

Wu Qingsong smiled reassuringly at them. "Ram and the others will be here shortly. All we need to do is stall for time, there won't be any issues. Remember, I'm not going to die or get hurt."

Securing them in the bumping carriage was easier said than done. Just as he secured the hidden compartment and slid the seat back into its original position, another scream resounded, clear as day even amidst the turmoil.

"War wolf!" the coachman's voice trembled with panic and fury.

The horses pulling the carriage, equally frightened, veered off course, causing the interior to jolt and shake like a roller coaster. Within mere seconds, the carriage flipped over, landing in a field by the roadside.

Harold's body slammed against the carriage door, cracking it open. He was shaking his head repeatedly, likely concussed from the impact.

"Stay inside the carriage!" Wu Qingsong bellowed, before kicking open the door and scrambling out.

Both horses that had been hitched to the carriage were now free. One was writhing not far away, presumably with a broken leg. The other was covered in blood, its body pinned down by the claws of a colossal war wolf.

The coachman and two other wolfmen were engaged in a tense standoff with the creature. With only swords at their disposal and no spears in sight, their expressions were tinged with desperation.

Wu Qingsong quickly drew a vial of potent poison from his pocket, drenching both his hands and the nape of his neck with it. Brandishing his crossbow, he charged at the war wolf, bellowing, "Come bite me, you mongrel!"

"Watch out!" the coachman yelled.

But Wu Qingsong's brazen taunt already infuriated the war wolf. Viewing him as an easy target, the wolf unleashed a ferocious roar and lunged at him. Before any of the wolfmen could intervene, the beast pinned Wu Qingsong to the ground and sunk its teeth into his skull.

Remarkably, Wu Qingsong didn't even attempt to dodge or counter the attack.

"My God!" the wolfmen gasped in disbelief.

These warriors were under Ram's command, assigned specifically to protect Wu Qingsong and assist him against Kleine. Yet they witnessed his immediate downfall in the very first clash.

How would they explain this to Ram?

However, moments later, the war wolf began to whimper pitifully.

"He's still alive!" the coachman cried out, astounded.

Seizing the opportunity, Wu Qingsong shoved his hand into the wolf's maw and emptied the remnants of the poison vial down its throat. Despite the agonizing pain inflicted by the wolf's claws and teeth, Wu Qingsong gritted his teeth and executed his plan.

Then, with a swift jerk of its head, the wolf flung Wu Qingsong into the air. The war wolf leaped to catch him.

A sickening crunch resounded as the wolf's fangs clamped down on bone, sending a shiver down everyone's spine.

The wolfmen could hardly bring themselves to look at Wu Qingsong's battered form, yet the war wolf seemed utterly baffled.

It pinned Wu Qingsong to the ground again, tearing ferociously at his head. It even used its large molars in an attempt to gnaw through him, but all its efforts were in vain.

How could something so defenseless be so resistant to its bite?

"Huh?"

The war wolf emitted a puzzled whine, suddenly feeling a wave of dizziness wash over it, causing it to shake its head violently.

The very next moment, a piercing pain surged from its stomach, spreading rapidly throughout its body. The war wolf let out a painful roar that quickly morphed into a heartrending howl.

Unable to comprehend what was happening to it, the wolf instinctively sensed that the strange figure before it was involved. Panicked, it released Wu Qingsong and attempted to flee. But its limbs were already twitching uncontrollably, causing it to lose balance and slam into a large tree. It quickly became immobilized as blood gushed from its mouth.

What was happening? What could this possibly be?

The wolfmen were at a complete loss, unable to grasp what had unfolded before their eyes.

Laughing uproariously, Wu Qingsong wobbled as he struggled to his feet. When one of the wolfmen moved to help him, Wu Qingsong hastily retreated several steps.

"Haha, wanted to bite me, did you? Ah! Don't touch me! I'm toxic! I'm toxic!"

0