Chapter 40: Digging Deeper
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Harold had never been overly curious about Wu Qingsong's past, content to know only what Wu Qingsong was willing to share. Perhaps this was because he initially viewed their relationship strictly in the context of employer and employee. But after personally taking the life of a half-elf, their relationship could never revert to such simple terms.

Ram, conversely, had always been keenly interested in Wu Qingsong's background. She had made numerous subtle attempts to pry more information from him, albeit unsuccessfully.

While Ling and Liuli had never explicitly questioned him about his past, it was evident that they had entrusted their lives to him, fueling a natural desire to know more about him.

But could he genuinely disclose the truth of his transmigration to them?

On one hand, they would likely frame everything as a form of magic, cobbling together an explanation they could swallow. On the other, the reality of his transmigration was his ultimate trump card.

However, even if he divulged the facts of his transmigration, what bearing would it have on them? Detailing the intricacies of his former world would demand a great deal of time, energy, and explanation, most of which would hold little relevance in their own world.

Given Harold's nature, he probably wouldn't fuss too much about it, but Ram, with her relentless curiosity, would certainly keep digging for more information.

Expanding his perspective further, what if legendary archmages discovered his existence, a being from an entirely different realm? Would they be inclined to capture him, exploring the secrets he held?

Such a scenario would expose not just him, but everyone connected to him, to immense danger.

As the adage goes, a secret ceases to be a secret the moment a second person becomes privy to it.

"Harold, do you remember when Kleine questioned you about a specific place?" Wu Qingsong initiated the conversation.

Harold nodded, recalling the experience vividly. He had thought his life was hanging by a thread at that moment.

"I came from Karazhan," Wu Qingsong announced.

Though the lie harbored its own set of dangers, it was considerably safer than disclosing his true origins.

Kleine had once naively helped him embellish this fabricated story about Karazhan, fully buying into it. When Wu Qingsong recounted this narrative to those present, their faces registered a look of sudden understanding.

"Are they still keeping tabs on you?" Ram asked without hesitation. "Could they capture you and bring you back?"

Her concerns were well-founded. To the beastfolk, archmages were no less than deities. If someone of that caliber was behind Wu Qingsong, they'd be forced into a passive role in whatever came next.

If so, Wu Qingsong would become a ticking time bomb within the resistance, one that could detonate at any time and potentially spell doom for their efforts.

"I don't believe so," Wu Qingsong felt obliged to explain. "If they'd wanted to take me back, they could have done so effortlessly right after I left Karazhan. There was no need to wait until now. If they were monitoring me, they had plenty of opportunities to intervene. When Nina first approached me, when Kleine grilled me about Karazhan in Rem City, or even when we set Rem City on fire to make our escape."

"But they didn't," he continued, meticulously crafting his narrative. "I suspect they haven't noticed the transformations in me. They probably see me as a worthless, even a failed, experiment and have let me go.”

He wasn't certain if his explanation would put them at ease, but he had made his decision. From this point forward, this would be his official backstory. It conveniently accounted for all of his unique abilities and specialized knowledge, making it easy for Harold and Ram to understand.

Any ignorance he had about this world and all the knowledge he did possess could now be chalked up to his fabricated history as an experimental subject.

Ling gently gripped the corner of his clothing, filling Wu Qingsong with a mixture of warmth and a trace of guilt. However, since events had already unfolded in this direction, there was no turning back.

Fortunately, as far as he knew, there were no figures like Archmage Medivh or places named Karazhan in this world.

"Is Kleine the only one other than us who knows about this?" Harold seemed to be approaching the issue from a different angle.

"If he hasn't told anyone else, then yes," Wu Qingsong affirmed. "Given what I know of him, he's too selfish to share this secret. He'd want to monopolize any potential benefits for himself."

"In that case, we should keep this information closely guarded," Harold said, glancing at Ram. "If Kleine is inclined that way, it's likely that other half-elves might think similarly."

This distrust from Harold caused Ram a moment of irritation, but she ultimately nodded. "Certainly, but Nina should be informed at the very least."

Neither Wu Qingsong nor Harold disagreed with that stipulation, but both emphasized that the information should not be disseminated further.

"So, how did you manage to awaken her abilities?" Ram returned to the original question. Having seen the aftermath of that gruesome battlefield, she couldn't afford to be indifferent.

‘If a frail catwoman can unleash such formidable power, what could a robust wolfman warrior be capable of?’ she wondered.

"I can't say for sure," Wu Qingsong admitted, shaking his head to her evident disappointment.

At the moment it happened, Wu Qingsong wasn't able to think properly. His sole focus was on saving Liuli. But as he administered chest compressions, attempting to stimulate her heart, he could feel her heartbeat becoming increasingly faint and sluggish.

His desperation reached a peak, but then something inexplicable happened. A sensation beyond words, akin to an electric current, surged from Liuli's heart, through his arm, and into his own body. The sensation paused briefly at his heart before flowing back into her.

Miraculously, her heartbeat strengthened, and her body underwent a sudden transformation.

"Electric current?" Ram questioned, visibly puzzled.

"It was some sort of magical element," Wu Qingsong replied, left with no other way to explain it.

"Can you reproduce it? Allow me to witness it for myself?"

"We should at least wait until she wakes up," Wu Qingsong said.

Liuli had been in a deep sleep since the event, leaving both him and Ling quite concerned. However, on the surface, she seemed perfectly fine. She even mumbled a few words in her sleep, somewhat alleviating their worries.

"What if we try it on someone else? Would it work?" Ram's attention quickly shifted to the others in the room.

The room's atmosphere was thick with curiosity, making Harold the first volunteer to be a test subject. He lay down on the bed, partially unbuttoned his shirt, and revealed a thick layer of fur.

Wu Qingsong spread his palms open and pressed them against Harold's chest, trying to replicate what he had done earlier. Despite his best efforts to recapture that elusive sensation, it remained frustratingly beyond his grasp.

The atmosphere grew increasingly awkward, accentuated by the stares focused on Harold's lupine visage.

"Well?" Ram pressed.

"It appears it's not working," Harold conceded as he sat up.

"So, what now?" Ram's eyes almost instantly shifted to Ling.

"Ah?" Ling's face flushed a deep shade of crimson. "No, no, it won't work on me."

Ram glanced at the spot where Wu Qingsong's hands had been, her cheeks gaining a slight rosy hue as she muttered something under her breath.

"What's there to be afraid of? It's just a touch to the chest, right? I'll go for it," she announced with forced bravado, clearly masking some hidden apprehension, before taking her seat on the bed.

0