Chapter 43: A New Awakening
28 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wu Qingsong had been on the lookout for a chance to speak privately with Ling, eager to persuade her to consider giving it a try. But the temporary camp in the forest was too cramped, with people milling about at all hours. To make matters worse, after her second awakening, Liuli had become more clingy than ever, sticking close to both Wu Qingsong and Ling. This left virtually no opportunity for a private conversation.

Finally, on the third night in the camp, when Liuli had drifted off to sleep and most others had retreated to their tents or rooms, Wu Qingsong seized the moment. He discreetly called Ling out of her room to talk.

As she stepped out, her cheeks were flushed, as if they were about to engage in some illicit activity.

"Ling, why are you hesitant to try... you know, that thing?" The situation made Wu Qingsong uncomfortably self-conscious, and the atmosphere grew tangibly tense.

Ling merely shook her head, offering no words.

"Is it fear of failure holding you back, or are you just unwilling to let me..." How could he articulate it without sounding inappropriate? 'Let me touch your chest, let me give it a try.'

He sighed. Ling's face now seemed on the brink of tears.

"Don't you trust me?" Left with no other option, Wu Qingsong asked gently.

Ling promptly shook her head, negating the notion.

"Then why not?"

"I'm a half-blood," Ling finally murmured, her tone laden with despair.

Wu Qingsong exhaled softly.

He was now acutely aware of the plight of half-bloods in this world. Even in the world from which he hailed, a woman's inability to have children subjected her to massive psychological strain and societal judgment. Some were even abandoned by their spouses for this reason alone.

So, what would it be like in a world such as this?

"I'm a half-blood as well," was all he could say.

Even though he knew he wasn't one, Wu Qingsong had long resigned himself to the fact that everyone else automatically assumed he was a half-elf. He had learned to adapt and accept this reality.

"You're a half-elf," Ling finally confirmed, stating what seemed obvious to her.

"What difference does that make?" Wu Qingsong replied. "Regardless of how others perceive us or what they think, in my eyes, we are no different from each other. We didn't choose the circumstances that brought us to this world, and we can't change them. But we can choose how we face this world. Whether others demean or belittle us is their concern. Living a life of humility and timidity is certainly one way to go, but it's not the only path available. We can opt to believe in ourselves, to strive for better, to become stronger, wiser, and more capable. Then, we'll show those who look down on us that they have no grounds to do so. They're the ones who are truly worthless."

In the world Wu Qingsong hailed from, such motivational talks would likely fall on deaf ears, deemed cliched and corny.

But for Ling, no one had ever made a genuine attempt to get close to her, being a half-blood beastwoman, much less to offer her encouragement and comfort.

She found herself intently watching Wu Qingsong, whose eyes sparkled with conviction as he spoke. Almost involuntarily, she extended her hand toward him, desiring physical contact. Yet halfway, she instinctively pulled back, as if conditioned to do so.

"If Liuli could manage it, I'm certain you can too," Wu Qingsong said, abruptly seizing her hand and locking eyes with her. "Trust me on this. Shall we give it a try?"

Finally, Ling acquiesced with a nod.

They swiftly located a secluded corner. Wu Qingsong gestured for Ling to lie down on the grass. Detecting her shyness and slight anxiety, he decided not to rush into their attempt. Instead, he leaned down and conversed softly with her, taking his time to put her at ease.

Encouraged by Wu Qingsong's reassuring smile and words, Ling gradually relaxed, finally settling into a state of profound tranquility.

"Trust me, everything will be fine," Wu Qingsong whispered softly.

Ling nodded, then closed her eyes.

A ripple of nervousness passed through Wu Qingsong. The atmosphere had grown slightly electric, delicately intimate. Taking a moment to center himself, he placed his hand on her chest.

Her still-developing form emanated a distinct allure, quite unlike Ram's, yet it was captivating in its own way. Ling's unequivocal trust in him pushed aside any inappropriate thoughts. Closing his eyes, he began to search for and tune in to the beat of her heart.

This process lasted longer than expected. If it had been Ram, she would have likely sat up in a fit of exasperation by now. However, Ling had surrendered herself fully to Wu Qingsong's guidance. With his eyes closed, she took a furtive glance at him, causing her own heartbeat to accelerate before hastily closing her eyes again.

Just as Wu Qingsong felt his energy waning and his focus drifting, the moment finally arrived.

"Ling," he softly murmured her name, almost instinctively. "Did you feel that?"

"Mm," Ling replied, a hint of elation in her tone.

Yet, the sensation wasn't as potent as it had been with Liuli. It was fleeting and seemed to diminish when their emotions became agitated. Both quickly collected themselves, regaining their composure. After a few minutes, the sensation clarified once again, progressively influencing their individual heartbeats until they resonated as one.

However, there were no visible changes in Ling, unlike what had happened with Liuli. It was only after a few more seconds that Wu Qingsong spotted it–a small, grayish-white bead the size of a fingernail, hovering just inches from her chest and radiating a soft, gentle glow.

"What is this?" Wu Qingsong wondered.

Carefully, he extended his hand, wanting to hold the enigmatic bead, yet hesitated and pulled back, wary of any potential repercussions.

"Can you sense its existence?" he asked Ling.

She nodded.

The transformation she had undergone, similar to what Liuli had experienced, filled her with joy. However, the apparent lack of immediate utility for this change dampened her spirits somewhat.

"Is it possible to move it?" Wu Qingsong's eyes lit up with curiosity as he asked.

Encouraged, Ling began to make an attempt.

It proved to be challenging, like gaining a new organ in her body that required the full force of her concentration to activate. With concerted effort, the bead gradually drifted through the air, eventually settling before Wu Qingsong.

"May I touch it?"

"Yes," Ling agreed promptly, nodding her head.

Maintaining its levitation didn't exhaust her, but the effort to move it even that small distance left her feeling somewhat weary.

Wu Qingsong carefully touched the bead, confirming it caused no discomfort to Ling before gently cradling it in his hand.

This object defied all of Wu Qingsong's understanding of physics. It felt incredibly light, virtually weightless, yet was smooth, dense, and had an almost metallic texture. There was no coldness to it, which suggested it was not a good conductor of heat. Could it also be a poor conductor of electricity?

‘What is this, really?’ he wondered internally.

"It's useless, isn't it?" Ling voiced, tinged with a mix of apprehension and disappointment.

"Not at all," Wu Qingsong reassured her immediately. "Your newfound ability is going to be incredibly useful. We just need to spend some time discovering the best way to utilize it."

0