Chapter 47: The Wolf Clan’s Pride
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What Wu Qingsong wasn’t aware of was that Nina and Ram had already shared a deep conversation during the dance.

Ram's goal was clear, to seize this opportunity and solidify the allegiance of both Wu Qingsong and Harold to their side. Harold's vast experience, Wu Qingsong’s innovative insights, and the enigmatic power enabling Liuli's transformation were invaluable assets. These could very well be the turning point they needed.

While previously there might have been uncertainties surrounding Wu Qingsong, with questions about his identity, background, and reliability, the months of working together had bridged this gap of understanding. Their involvement, especially Wu Qingsong's, could provide significant aid to the Silver Moon Wolf Clan's financial predicament.

Moreover, Ram saw in Wu Qingsong a chance to perhaps break free from their seemingly desperate and futile struggle in these mountains.

Now, the path to this goal seemed fairly direct.

A mere "accidental" leak of certain events, ensuring the Umber faction knew of their alliance, would suffice. This would naturally set things in motion, without them having to intervene much.

Once they were marked by Umber, the neighboring cities would follow suit, and Duke Sentalus wouldn't hesitate to add two more names to his extensive wanted list. Consequently, for Wu Qingsong and company, the most logical–and perhaps the sole–choice would be aligning themselves with the Silver Moon Wolf Clan.

"After all the time you've spent with them, do you genuinely believe they'd be content becoming subservient to the Silver Moon Wolf Clan?" Nina expressed her strong disagreement, especially with such a method to force them into a decision.

Should their plan come to light, it would deal a tremendous blow to both the reputation of the Silver Moon Wolf Clan and their relationship.

For them, their reputation was the pivotal force upholding the Silver Moon Wolf Clan's banner. Their list of allies was already short, and most of them were in even graver situations, often leaning on them for help. They couldn't afford to lose an ally capable of offering such support.

"It's a risk worth taking," Ram asserted. "What more do we have at stake now? You might defeat one raiding group, but the half-elves can promptly rally another, perhaps even more formidable than before. The elven cities brim with countless mastifkin, far outnumbering us. If they so choose, this war could drag on indefinitely. What purpose would that serve? At this pace, the past grandeur of the Silver Moon Kingdom will remain out of our reach. People have faith in you. They rely on you to guide them toward victory and a brighter future. But if, in five or ten years, nothing has changed, maybe it even worsened, will they remain steadfast in their belief? Instead of persisting in this fruitless resistance, why not grasp at a potential opportunity?"

"The key to altering our fate isn't me. It's Daryl," Nina responded, shaking her head.

"He's just a child. While I agree he's impressive, he's neither stronger nor more astute than you, Nina. If you can't bring about change, where does that position Daryl? Don’t you see the issue?"

"It's not me who's avoiding the issue, Ram. It's you," Nina whispered, her fingers gently caressing Ram's cheek. "I recognize the burden you bear, the immense pressure, and the emotional toll it's taken. But you need to understand that no matter how arduous our path, our success can't be anchored to others. It must come from within us."

"It's not as black and white," Ram retorted.

"Daryl stands as the rightful heir to the Silver Moon Wolf Clan. He embodies our genuine hope. Our duty, here and now, is to shape the most favorable conditions, rally more allies, and await his coming of age, when he can harness his true potential," Nina, locking eyes with Ram, articulated with unwavering conviction.

"Do you understand, Ram? Regardless of Wu’s potential, he is, at his core, a half-elf. His prowess and wisdom are rooted in his elven heritage. If he's not as promising as you've painted him to be, incorporating him won't disrupt our internal affairs. But, if he’s indeed as capable as you reckon, his inclusion could not just fail to bolster our strength, it could create immense internal discord."

"How could that be possible?" Ram asked.

"The linchpin is the very power you're convinced he wields," Nina asserted. "Don't you see the glaring flaw in such power? It's tied to him. Even if his gifts could be bestowed upon us, as you envision, the essence of that power isn't genuinely ours. It has to be awakened by him each time. The power is entirely at his command, relegating us to mere vessels. What merit lies in that? In such circumstances, how do we distinguish between master and vassal? When our strength and victories hinge on his aid, do we stay true to ourselves? If he were to disagree or stray from our side, we'd regress to our former selves. What becomes of us then? Would we not slowly turn into marionettes dancing to his tune? Under these conditions, even if he doesn't intentionally seek control of the Silver Moon Wolf Clan, it would inevitably shift to him. Ram, where you see an opportunity for power, I see a danger of losing our identity. The mightier this power, the greater our risk of succumbing to it, eventually becoming mere vassals in his shadow. When that time comes, how do we justify our actions to those who've placed their faith in us? How can we make them understand? What becomes of everything we've stood for all these years? If we must depend on his power for victory and prosperity, then why choose a half-elf like him, who seemingly brings nothing else to the table? If we're willing to surrender our free will, why not just submit to the elves outright? Why not directly surrender to Sentalus? By doing so, our kin would at least find their place in the sun, free from endless battles. But if we tread this path, what was the century-long defiance of our ancestors for? When the Silver Moon Kingdom crumbled, we could have opted to bend the knee to the elves, much like the canine clans did. Wouldn't we have secured a loftier standing than them? No, Ram, the Wolf Clan will never be subdued. No matter who it is, we'll never make such a choice. Should we abandon our beliefs, and our honor, this banner we rally behind will fade in strength and color. And the Silver Moon Wolf Clan? It'll be nothing more than a whispered legend."

Ram exhaled deeply, momentarily at a loss for words.

"Ram, it's not this kind of power we need. We seek a force that truly empowers us from within, not one we're always dependent on, graciously given to us as if it's a mere favor. The stronger he becomes, the less likely he'll ever truly be one of us. What we can offer him is too little, but our demands are big. A relationship built on such a foundation is doomed from the start. While his abilities might be formidable, he’s better suited as an ally. We can't afford to introduce such volatility into our midst, undermining our very essence."

"But allies can grow distant, even betray us," Ram interjected, unable to contain herself. "Without fully integrating him, how can we place our trust in him?"

"If he's to betray due to personal gains or other motives, then his presence within our ranks would only pose a greater risk. We can only offer so much," Nina countered. "I will accord him the respect he's due, provide ample support, and work diligently to foster a strong bond between us. I can discern that he isn't one to take kindness for granted. If your intel stands, then he won't oppose us, not for a long time, anyway. As for the future..."

She hesitated, lightly biting her lip, then shook her head in resolution. "We'll tackle that when the time comes."

0