A fated betrayal?
45 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meanwhile, as the battle outside the garden of the castle grounds was getting fiercer and a little before the flash of light was fired towards the azure sky...

Back inside the royal palace. A heavy tension filled the air as the sound of constant explosion echoed along with the cries of the civilians who were still resisting being slaughtered mercilessly by the invaders of the kingdom of Zestril could be heard from afar.

The maids were currently in low spirits as the threat of the kingdom of Zestril loomed over their heads filling them with a heavy sense of dread.

With the current state of the capital the personnel currently moving around the royal palace were few in numbers and only a meagre amount of them had combat experience.

The king Marcus along with the queen Lisa currently sat down in the throne room with a conflicted expression on their faces.

The queens beautiful face contorted into a mix of both pain and worry as she played with a strand of her luscious silver hair.

"... Dear?"

Lisa's bright beautiful blue eyes gazed at the middle-aged brown-haired man dressed in a royal robe decorated with various embroidery who sat beside her with a worried look on her face as her lips parted slightly as though she wanted to say something but stop midway when she saw the seriousness in the expression on her husband's face.

"It's okay, you don't need to worry. If by some off chance the worst actually happens, I already have a plan for that."

"Eh, you have a plan?"

Lisa raised an eyebrow as she gazes at his face curiously. With the capital of the city currently being under the influence of the Zestril kingdom, along with the knights who had already fallen in battle, weakening their overall strength.

She couldn't see any way to overcome the current situation even with the help of Matthew who was currently on the battlefield.

After all what could a single person do against the might of an entire nation?

Taking on an army alone was already considered a suicidal act no matter where one looked at it.

That was because no matter how skilled one was in the face of multiple powerhouses they would definitely get worn out in no time.

In the end this was the only conclusion he could think of, as king, Marcus not only does he need to think of his family but his people as well.

It was impossible for him to choose self-preservation under the current situation.

"As I said before you don't need to worry, no matter what happens I will send the hero along with Adrianna and you somewhere safe. I'm going to activate that thing."

He muttered calmly.

"What! You... You are actually going to sacrifice yourself to allow us to escape?!"

She exclaimed as she jumped from her throne. Her bright blue eyes gazed deeply at her husband as though she wanted to see through all existing falsehood and see only the genuine truth.

However, Marcus eyes were as indifferent and calm as before as he responded.

"You don't need to look at me like that, even if I die you still have Ryan here as my heir."

(We are currently facing the biggest crisis we had ever faced before. I don't know what method that old bastard used to destroy the barrier, but I can assume it was probably the reason for his confidence.)

Marcus narrowed his eyes sharply.

(... The question is how often can he used that weapon? Even if I die it doesn't matter as to me as long as my kingdom survived in the end.)

"Tch, you... You actually want to sacrifice yourself! How selfish are you?!"

Lisa exclaimed.

"... Selfish? What do you mean?"

He inquired, genuinely confused.

"You have a son a daughter and a wife. And yet... You actually want to sacrifice yourself and leave us behind? I know this kingdom is precious to you but..."

"But what? Should I throw away everything my ancestors, my father left behind? Is that what you want?"

"Do you want me to go to that old bastard and lower my head and begged him to spare my life?" king Marcus asked, his voice indifferent.

Even though the chances of him surviving this invasion was below 10% he still didn't show any ounce of fear or panic.

His pride as king, and the ruler of a nation wouldn't allow such an embarrassment!

"... Why?"

Lisa's lips trembled as she mumbled to herself.

Why did life had to be so... So unfair?

Her expression contorted in a mix of both grief and helplessness at the possibility that she might lose the man she loves the most.

Marcus looked at his wife warmly as his hand gently caresses her fair white, rosy cheeks lovingly as he whispers in her ear.

"Even if I die... Our children need you. Don't forget we also still have the hero whenever we need her legendary powers, if necessary, use it to protect yourself."

He said, in a serious tone. 

As he hugged the trembling body of his wife. She buried her face in his chest as she sobbed.

Marcus kissed her head as his hazel eyes flickered occasionally as though he had many thoughts running through his mind.

Once Lisa had calm down enough for her to articulate words properly, she finally spoke.

"... Where exactly will we go?"

With his hand caressing his beard he opened his mouth.

"Once you have acquired our son and daughter as well as the hero head east."

"Eh, east... But isn't that?"

Lisa gasps as her blue, ocean pupils shone faintly from realization.

"... The kingdom of Watanabe."

It was no secret that the kingdom of Watanabe and Alberta were extremely close and had a very deep relationship. Both the kings of each nation had a brother like relationship and had been in touch for a long time now.

With the current situation he could only request help from the king of Watanabe and hope to get his aid in this difficult situation.

Though the chances of them actually accepting seemed very low as this would also make the kingdom of Watanabe Zestrils next target but...

(Knowing that old bastard, he will definitely turn his eyes onto the other remaining two kingdoms as soon as he conquers this nation.)

The Alberta kingdom as one of the most powerful and influential nations they had many powerful artifacts and wealth, naturally the king of Zestrils goal aside from conquering the great nation is also to acquire those wealth and artifacts.

He was certain that king who was known for not only his ruthlessness would turn his eyes towards the other neighboring kingdoms for their wealth and treasures as well.

Under such a predicament perhaps the only way to overturn the situation was for the remaining nations to form an alliance.

(Sure, this kingdom will fall, but I will definitely be seeing you in hell, you old bastard!)

Marcus's eyes narrowed as a smirk appeared at the corner of his lips as he thought that.

"... I see. You want us to request help from the royal family of Watanabe."

Lisa asked while letting out a faint sigh. In the past she never took the Watanabe kingdom seriously at all. Even though they were a major nation their military prowess was so low that she even considered them as a joke.

And now she has no other choice but to request help from such a kingdom. Fate really can be mysterious sometimes.

"That man is like my little brother I can guarantee he will give you his support, just go there and try to find peace... Hopefully... Hopefully with the help of the hero maybe you could..."

He said cryptically, his gaze gradually grew sharper as he spoke who knows what he was thinking.

(No, perhaps the heroes' sudden arrival is related to this...)

He thought inwardly, but ultimately shook his head in the end.

...

As Lisa was making preparations for their departure...

A figure clads in black robes stood on the terrace of the royal palace gaze downwards at the scenery of the chaotic city where the civilians were being slaughtered indiscriminately.

His deep jade-colored eyes flickered as he gazes at the energy circulating throughout the atmosphere each time a life was lost.

He then took out a ruby colored gemstone similar to the one Monica had. Each time the ruby colored gemstone came into contact with the strange energy within the atmosphere the gemstone shone brighter and brighter.

An intense aura of darkness shrouded his figure as he watches everything with an unreadable expression etched on his face.

However, his lips soon curved upwards into a smirk. Finally, the day he had been waiting for has finally arrived. Today he shall destroy that pesky source that kept empowering the core of the seal that held back the demon race.

The man's jade-colored eyes sharpened as he gaze at the flying beast in the sky. His slightly long darkish green hair peaked out from his hood that covered his face.

And in a blink of an eye his figure vanished from the terrace disappearing into another part of the royal palace.

...

Meanwhile, in another room...

"M-Mom what do you mean we are leaving?"

Princess Adrianna asked, taken aback. She knew the situation was bad, but she didn't think it would get to this point where they had no choice but to flee.

"... I'm sorry but this is the decision that he made."

Lisa replied in a slightly shaky voice. Despite the air of composure, she was putting on, it was evident her emotions were conflicted from the hesitant light that flickered occasionally in her eyes.

Naturally she wanted to stay by her husband's side, even if it means her own demise. Her aching heart couldn't accept this.

She couldn't acknowledge this reality.

If she had to choose between her kingdom and her family, naturally she would choose her own family without the slightest hesitation.

But she knew this wasn't an appropriate mindset she should have as a queen. After all, as the ruler her nation and people should always be the main priority.

But her heart couldn't let go of the family she had been with and had come to love since the beginning.

Seeing the state her mother was in Princess Adrianna seems to have regained her composure.

(Mother is suffering and yet I...)

Adrianna bit her lips in frustration.

(Why am I so...)

So powerless...

Was what she wanted to say.

She clenched her fist and after taking a deep breath her light blue eyes shone with determination.

"I understand mother, I shall inform the hero immediately and prepare for our departure."

She said with some seriousness in her voice.

With her mother's current state, she knew she had to be the one with a clear head, even if it was only a little, she had to lighten the burden on her.

With that Princess Adrianna pinched the hem of her beautiful long blue gown as she hurriedly left into the direction of the room Mona was currently occupying.

Three hours later...

Queen Lisa, Princess Adrianna and the hero, Mona boarded one of the royal carriages of the royal family and left the royal palace through the back garden along with some skilled knights.

Seeing that they had left safely king Marcus's expression became stern as he went to a certain room inside the royal palace.

It was a room only available to the royal bloodline.

With a soft creak of the door Marcus stepped inside the room and closed the door before turning around when suddenly...

Swoosh!

Spurt!

Marcus's expression changed as he felt a burning sensation on his hands. When he gazed downwards, he saw a sight that gave him chills. Both of his hand from his shoulder had been completely severed and had fallen to the ground with a thud, his severed hands continued to spurt blood.

Blood also spurted from his shoulder.

"Argh!"

A painful cry akin to someone receiving torture filled the room!

"Fufufu... Isn't it quite unsightly to be screaming like that, your royal majesty?"

With a slight chuckle a figure cloak in black made his appearance.

When Marcus saw this figure, his pupils constricted slightly as he bellowed.

"You... Adelio, you traitor!"

Indeed, the one who had appeared dressed in black was none other than Adelio.

1