Ch. 6 “Worlds Apart” (part 4)
95 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first hour after they came back to the Palace was hectic, to say the least.

The Princess was hellbent on calling for a healer to check on Valeria’s injury. No matter how many times the Commander assured her that she was fine, and that there was absolutely no reason to go to such lengths, Oriana wouldn’t listen.

Even Kyra, who was unofficially known as The Princess Whisperer, wasn’t able to convince her.

In the end, the Queen herself had to intervene and stop her daughter from causing any more ruckus.

The Princess, having no other choice but to obey her mother, took out her frustration on the Prince, giving him a long and emotional lecture on why what he did was wrong, and how he needed to reflect on his actions.

Once free from the scolding session, Emil locked himself in his room and wasn’t seen since.

 

After nightfall, the situation seemed to have finally calmed down, and Valeria was able to have some time to herself.

Or so she thought.

She didn’t even have a chance to change from her uniform and take a bath, when Lin Xuelan unexpectedly showed up at the door.

— Commander, I’m sorry for intruding so late. I wanted to give you this. — She placed a small jar in Valeria’s hand. — It’s a medicine often used in Liung-Mun. It speeds up the healing process. As long as you have it, nobody will be surprised, even if your wound disappears tomorrow.

The way that she said the last sentence instantly put Valeria on high alert. It was almost as if the Dragon Princess knew about her “condition”.

— Thank you, Your Imperial Highness. It would be really wonderful if that was the case. I wouldn’t have to wear this — she said, pointing at the herbal band aid covering the spot where the blade slashed her cheek. — However, being in more fights than I would like, I’m quite aware that for us humans, it’s not so easy.

Lin Xuelan smiled. That would have had a chance to work, before she had proof of Valeria’s true identity.

— You can drop the act, Commander. I know who you are. I know what you are capable of. I want to continue our conversation from before. My father and I want to talk to to you about restoring Faolán.

Valeria cursed in her heart. She wasn’t sure what gave her away, or if Lin Xuelan was telling the truth. Nevertheless, she had no intention of coming clean.

She didn’t know the Dragon Princess or Emperor Lin. She had no reason to trust them, or believe that their intentions were pure.

As long as she didn’t say it herself, every bit of proof that they thought they had was nothing more than speculation.

— I told you before, I cannot help you with that. I am not the person that you seem to think I am.

— You don’t trust me. I understand that. I guess I have no choice but to prove to you that I’m not your enemy.

At the same moment, someone else came knocking at Valeria’s door.

Despite her best efforts and the exhaustion she felt after the eventful day, Oriana was unable to fall asleep. She was tossing and turning, tormented by the guilt she felt. Ultimately, she gave up and decided to go and check on Valeria. Again.

When she arrived at her place and saw her alone with Xuelan in her room, the feeling was instantly replaced with the sensation of a needle stabbing her in her heart.

— Your Highness, what are you doing here so late?

— I was worried about you, so I came to see how you are feeling. But I see you already have more than enough company… — Oriana said while sending the Dragon Princess a meaningful look.

Lin Xuelan, realizing that she had become a third wheel, quickly backed out of the room.

— Don’t mind me, Oriana. I was just leaving anyways. — she turned to Valeria — Think about what I said. If you change your mind, you know where to find me. In the meantime, try the ointment I gave you. It does wonders for your skin.

The moment Xuelan left, an awkward silence fell upon the Commander and Oriana.

Noticing that the Princess had become weirdly unhappy once again, Valeria dropped the initial idea of scolding her and instead sighed, feeling helpless.

— You shouldn’t wander around the Palace at night, Your Highness. It’s dangerous. — she said, making sure that her voice didn’t sound too harsh — Come on, I’ll escort you back.

 

The distance between the Princess’ chambers and Valeria’s room wasn’t far, as there was only one floor separating them. Nevertheless, the Commander absolutely refused to let Oriana go alone, and was adamant in walking her all the way to the door.

Only then, Valeria bowed respectfully, and wished the Princess a good night.

Oriana watched her slender back as she walked away, unable to turn the knob and go inside her own bedroom.

With everything that had happened recently, she felt like Valeria and her were worlds apart. She had a foreboding feeling that unless she did something, the two of them would eventually go their separate ways.

She closed her eyes, burning from tears welling up.

— Is there something between you and Xuelan? — the words left her mouth before she could even think about what she was doing.

Hearing this, Valeria immediately stopped and turned around.

— I don’t even want to know how you came up with that, but no. There’s nothing between the Dragon Princess and me. — she said while walking back to Oriana.

— What about that kiss, then?

— What kiss?

— Don’t lie to me! I saw it myself by the lake today! — Oriana kept squeezing the doorknob in her hands, as if it had some magical qualities of stopping her tears from falling.

The Commander suddenly realized what the Princess could mean.

— It wasn’t a kiss. A butterfly landed on my shoulder and she used that to tease me. — she sighed, and rubbed her tired eyes.

Thinking about how absurd that whole situation was made her feel even more tired.

— If there’s nothing between you, then why was she in your room just now?

— She… mistook me for someone, and thought that I can help her with something. She’s completely wrong though. I’m not the person she thinks I am. — Valeria said while looking away.

— So… there’s really nothing between you? You’re not going to leave for Liung-Mun with her?

How, by the Heavens, did she even come up with that?

— I swear, there’s nothing between Lin Xuelan and me. And I’m most certainly not going to Liung-Mun, or anywhere else. You’re not getting rid of me that easily, Your Highness.

Hearing Valeria deny any relationship between them, and seeing her unwavering gaze, every ugly feeling that had been tormenting Oriana for the past couple of days had disappeared in an instant.

She was happy.

So very happy.

— That’s good. After all, you are a very valuable… asset… to the Kingdom… It would be… disadvantageous… to lose you. — Oriana stumbled to find the proper, most roundabout words to convey her feelings. It would be very bad if “that Trickster” started imagining things. Yes.

Seeing that the Princess had recovered her usual mischievous spark, Valeria relaxed too. She wasn’t expecting to be so disturbed by the Princess’ abnormally apathetic behavior these past couple of days.

— Mm. It’s quite late. You should get some rest, Your Highness. Good night. — she said, ready to go back to her room and dive into bed herself.

— Valeria?

— Yes, Your Highness?

— I… would be sad if you left.

— Me too. I would be sad if I had to leave.

7