Episode 22
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The stranger pulls out a dagger shaped like a dark fang. I hurry to try and activate Mukasa's mark, but immediately the cavities of his robotic legs are illuminated by these blue lines; building in strength and keeping my arms in place.

Ragnar rushes in my direction and launches an attack, but the boy manages to block it with his daggers. Mukasa is about to strike from the back, but the boy realizes and forces him to jump. He leaps a few meters to reach one of the tree branches.

The boy immediately prepares to jump from the branch, but when he does, he's hit mid-flight by Hoomul and sent flying.

"What the hell do you think you're doing, Roac?" I hear the deep voice of the giant.

The boy gets up, and I can now clearly see his face as his hood falls. His hair and eyes are of a deep dark color. His eyelids are dark as if he had never slept or applied makeup to them.

"If you continue, I will be forced to kill you," the giant says.

The boy sharpens his eyes and stares at me, but eventually, he lets out a click and sheathes his daggers. Without saying anything more, he makes a great leap of several meters and disappears jumping among the forest trees.

Hoomul approaches and extends his huge hand to help me up.

"What was all that about?" I inquire.

"Don't pay attention to him. He's just a kid who needs a spanking."

"Is he one of the red wolves?"

"That's right. But more importantly, I want to know why are the fangs of the Lengua Venenosa clan here. I've never seen so many come out of their cave, and especially not to help someone else other than themselves."

"I convinced them to help me, from now on they'll be our allies."

"Allies?" Hoomul looks surprised. "I see, well, as long as more people are willing to kick those Dorado's butts, I'm fine with it," says Hoomul laughing heartily.

We spend the next few hours eradicating the Dorados on the other fronts, and with the help of the fangs, they eventually decide to retreat. The Lobos howl in celebration.

"You really are something future chief," says Amator, who was fighting on the main front. "When I sent Jasmine and the pups, I never thought you'd come back with an army. Where's Jasmine?"

"She decided to stay in the clan. She said she would stay to take care of her father."

"Her father?" Amator exclaims surprised.

"It's a long story. It's part of the reason why they decided to join the fight."

Amator notices the white wooden mask tied to my pants.

"Well, in that case, you should go to Aleifr and inform him of the situation."

I nod, and I am escorted to the Lobos Rojos cave up the hill. Upon arrival, the atmosphere fills with celebration upon hearing the news of our victory.

Hoomul and Amator indicate the entrance to one of the rooms. The room is filled with mattresses and carpets. The only light comes from the candles scattered around the room. In the center of everything is Aleifr.

Aleifr is removing the bandages surrounding his right arm. He does this until his arm is uncovered. I open my eyes when I see that his arm is completely red as if the skin had been removed.

"Could you help me?" Aleifr says with his serene raspy voice, extending another set of bandages.

"Y-yes."

I approach him and start applying the bandages to his arm. I can't help but glance at his face for a few seconds. His face is completely calm, and unlike when I first saw him, he doesn't give me that sense of intimidation and authority.

"What are you planning to do?" Aleifr suddenly asks. I can see his sharp red eyes staring at me without moving his head.

"Sorry?"

"From what I've heard, it seems you were the one who got the Lengua Venenosa clan's help. Last time we met, you wanted to kill me. What changed?"

His question makes sense. From his perspective, I was against him.

"I just realized that the people of the chamber seem to need help. There's no one protecting the weak in this place.”

"And do you think we can do that? Despite knowing what's said about me?"

I ponder for a moment. I'm not sure how to respond. I know he refers to what he did to the Puño de Fuego Clan. I look at the scars on my arm.

"I'm not one to judge. But I want to believe that change is possible if someone wants to change. Although it is not easy."

"I see." For a moment, it seems like Aleifr smiles and get up.

The new bandages become stained with the red of his blood in no time.

"The balance of power between us and the Dorados is very delicate. Thanks to your help, we managed to regain the balance, but not by much. We need to get the help of the remaining clans in the central chamber. I would like to do it personally, but I must remain in the valley to maintain order among the Lobos Rojos."

"So you want me to do that for you? But what if I didn't agree with you?"

"In the worst case, I would use my power as the herald to compel you to use your Altum right," Alefir's voice tenses, but then he laughs seeing me flinch, "however, I had a strong feeling that you were exactly who I was looking for. After the incident at the trials, your face seemed to regret what you had done. I know how that feels."

A lump forms in my throat. 

"Then why don't you kill yourself right now!" A voice shouts.

The words make my chest heavy. When I look at the entrance of the room, I see that it's Mukasa. Her eyes tense in fury. Her gaze focuses on Aleifr.

Mukasa grits his teeth, and his robotic arm lights up with red lines, emitting boiling vapor. She heads towards Aleifr and throws a punch, but I put myself in the way of receiving it. Mukasa tenses his face.

“What is your problem? Why are you intervening?” She says fuming.

"Emru wouldn't like the two of you hitting each other.” I sharpen my gaze and clench my fists.

 

0