Episode 1
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The White Marks. Humanity's triumph against the cycle of violence. Since the world was blanketed in snow, we united under the genetic oath that would prevent humans from hurting each other again.

But then, why do I find myself with bloodied fists?

The city of Krystall, the city where I grew up, is engulfed in red flames. I try to pull my hands away from my brother's neck, but a terrible, reaping rage wraps around me, urging me to destroy everything. My arms, adorned with the shining krystallos bracelets, glow red as if I dipped them in lava. I glance into my brother's gentle celestial eyes and wonder what he's thinking at that moment. How can he smile even in this situation? Then, the world and my white mark begin to be dyed red, completely blinding me in a world of anger and violence.

I wake up abruptly with a racing heart and cold sweat on my body. I clutch my chest, focusing on breathing and taking slow, deep breaths. When I manage to calm down, I look at my arms, wishing the dark scars were part of the dream. But they're not. The only comfort is the white glow of my mark shining like a lonely moon beneath my wrist.

Fireworks jolt me out of my stupor, and I look towards the window. I see Lilah sitting naked on the balcony railing. Her dark hair forms undulating silhouettes in the wind. I glance at my bare torso, and it's enough to remember what had happened that night. My face blushes, and embarrassment forces me to get up and put on my underwear.

I walk towards the balcony but stop at the window frame, gripping my arm. I can't help but chuckle lightly at how carefree she looks, unlike me, who fears someone might see.

"Don't you worry someone might see you?"

"Look who's awake! What? No one is going to see us from this height. Is my dear bunny afraid someone will see his beloved girlfriend?"

"T-that's not true," I say, averting my gaze, pouting with a face as red as a tomato.

"Kya! You're so cute I could eat you up with kisses!" She exclaims, pulling me towards her and ruffling my snow-white blond hair.

Lilah and I enjoy moments of silence, gazing at the view from the balcony. The place where we were born, the cloud stratum, has always stood out for the integration of nature and the minimalistic, elegant designs of houses and buildings. Today, it looks even more beautiful thanks to the presence of holographic white butterflies, indicating the celebration of the Quartz Festival; the anniversary of the creation of the white marks.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go to the festival! You have no idea how excited I am to see the Heiress of Fine Arts!" Lilah says, running to the closet and starting to dress.

When we leave the hotel, we are welcomed by the bustling anticipation of the people. Holographic butterflies float around us like snowflakes as we walk toward the grand esplanade. I'm glad I gave up on Lilah's idea of wearing short sleeves. To avoid thinking about others' glances, I try to focus on Lilah, who looks beautiful in her white dress.

While waiting for the Heiress, Lilah and I explore the stalls and exhibitions around the esplanade. On the way, we notice a crowd surrounding someone.

"They're the knights!" Some excited children run towards them.

As we get closer, Lilah and I recognize that it's Porter, my best friend from childhood. A big smile covers his face as he wears the krystallos gauntlets; armor made of krystal metal whose appearance is a combination of metal and quartz, giving it a rainbow-like reflection.

Trying to ignore the excitement of the crowd, Lilah and I sit on one of the benches in the park around the esplanade. Lilah goes to one of the stalls to buy us cotton candy. I watch with a smile as Lilah tries to decide what to buy.

"Hey! Brother, long time no see."

The voice immediately twists my stomach. I see Porter's upright figure accompanied by his squad of Krystallos knights from the incident division. I try not to show my discomfort and put on a smile.

"Hello, Porter. Patrolling before the arrival of the Heiress of Fine Arts?"

Despite my efforts, Porter seems to notice and puts on his usual smug face.

"That's right. I've been quite busy since I became a knight, and even more now that I'm a captain."

"I'm glad things are going well for you."

"By the way, how are your burns? Let me take a look." The shock of the question doesn't give me a chance to react as Porter approaches me and takes my arm; his gauntlet transforms and scans my arm.

I try to free myself, but I know very well that even if I tried with all my might, it would be almost impossible to break free from the strength of the krystallos gauntlets. The gazes of the other knights pierce me, and I can't help but look away.

"It's a pity you couldn't become a Krystallo knight. You would have been one of the best," he says, painting an even more smug smile. "But don't worry, I will continue the legacy of your brother."

A jolt of electricity runs through my body, and my mark burns. I make a fist with my other hand and my face tenses. When I think about hitting him, every cell in my body struggles to stop me. But then another hand grabs Porter's wrist and interrupts my thoughts. When I look to see who it is, I see Lilah. However, her face tightens into shadows so long and dark that she seems like a different person.


 

0