Episode 20
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The memories fade away. Jasmine is on my side, unconscious. I see the burn marks on my arms, and they have now turned a bright green similar to Jasmine's mark.

I pick her up and head out of the tunnels. I follow the moss, illuminating them with my new mark, making them easier to identify.

Eventually, I return to the chamber and head to the white oak hill. On the way, I can see Jasmine's house. A nostalgic feeling overwhelms me with the smell of Elena's perfume and Etanor's laughter. The countless days of her training and learning the techniques left by her mother.

I can't help but recall my training as a knight. Even after I failed and was expelled, I continued training every day. It was a way to remember my brother and feel like he was there with me.

I arrive with the fangs pointing their weapons at me, but upon seeing Jasmine, they let me in. Laliba and Isabella are at the tree giving instructions. Isabela immediately approaches me.

"What happened? Why is Jasmine unconscious?" Isabela says alarmed.

"When we left, we were attacked by the grays. They were waiting for us. We separated from the others and ended up in one of the toxic tunnels."

"You? Who are you?"

"Who am I? I am Altair, one of the Lobos Rojos"

Isabella opens her eyes in surprise.

"Forgive me, I didn't recognize you. It's just that the color of your eyes is green now. I mistook you for a member of the healer family. How did this happen?"

"It's a bit complicated to explain, but the important thing is that now I have a heritage like Jasmine's. I'm very sure I'll be able to cure Etanor. Where are Mukasa, Rangar, and Lilu?"

"After realizing it was impossible to escape, they decided to stay and fight. Right now, they must be battling the grays on the plain, along with Laliba."

"All right," I say as I leave Jasmine by the tree. I apply and activate her Herencia, my marks glow green and just a touch is enough to make her recover.  She wakes up and opens her eyes in disbelief.

“You did it.” Jasmine puts her gaze at the ground “So that means you saw it…”

“Yeah, I saw your desire to help others, just like your mother.  Let me be the one to help you now, you are not alone,” I say with a smile. 

Jasmine's eyes fill with tears “Thank you”

I look towards the plain that divides the tree and the village. I can see the gray army fighting against the fangs and other warriors that are fighting against them. In the distance, in the center, I locate Etanor.

I breathe in and exhale slowly. “You can do it, Altair.” I recite the words that my brother always told me when preparing me for the trials.

I run towards the battlefield and visualize everything as an obstacle course, just like the ones in the Knight trials. With their ever-changing obstacles and patterns designed by the Heir of Technology and the Heir of Security. Compared to that this is nothing.

I run through the grays, dodging their attacks. A group detects me, but I immediately kick one and use him as a propeller to move forward. Some manage to block me, but despite being unable to relay the strength of Mukasa Herencia, I still defend myself. As I get closer, I see Ragnar, Lilu, and Mukasa fighting against Etanor; this time with the help of the fangs and Laliba, who has potions on her hand. They want to create an opening for Laliba to use her heritage and kill Etanor that way. 

The moment Laliba throws one of her potions, I stand in its path and cover Etanor. I feel the liquid burn my skin, making me scream.

I find myself face to face with Etanor's angry expression. I can't help but remember myself in the  plaza smiling. I clench my teeth and rise to hug him. 

“It's okay, everything is gonna be okay.”

Etenor roars, but I don't let go and gradually, his body starts to regain its original coloration. His eyes turn light green again. 

I hold Etanor in my arms as he plummets to the ground. The gray stop their coordinated attacks and now scramble aimlessly, making them easy to restrain for the Fangs. Etanor grabs my shoulder and smiles at me as to give me thanks.

Jasmine and Isabella arrive to the plain, and Jasmine runs and holds her father.

"Is it you, my dear firefly?" he says as he caresses her face.

"Yes, Dad, it's me," tears well up in Jasmine's eyes.

"I'm sorry."

"Why didn't you come back? You don't know how lonely I felt."

"The guilt of not being able to save your mother was too much for me. I let it control me and unleashed my frustrations trying to eliminate the grays. But in doing so I fail to do the more important thing."

Jasmine hugs her father and she cries. 

As I see this, for a second I can feel a connection to Mukasa, a feeling of sadness and jealousness, but they slowly fade away. When she notices my gaze, she turns and leaves. 

 

Jasmine and I begin to heal the now-restained Gray fangs and after a few hours, we have healed them all.

"As a former priestess, I give you my deep gratitude," Isabela says. "If there's anything we can do, I'll do as much as possible."

I am about to decline, but I notice that this is an opportunity I cannot let pass. As I understand after the fight in the plaza in front of the bar, the Lobos and the Dorados must be fighting. Especially if what Laliba said about the balance of the cave is true. Maybe this way I can start to truly make a difference.  

"If it's possible, I would like the fangs to help us in the battle against the Dorados."

"Of course not!" Laliba approaches. "I appreciate that you helped us. But as the current priestess, I must refuse. The main and only goal of the fangs is to protect the knowledge and resources of the clan, not fight wars of others."

"What if he undergoes the tree test?" Etanor says while being supported by Jasmine.

Laliba remains thoughtful and eventually says:

"I'll accept if he takes the test of the tree at the level of the priestesses. This way, you wouldn't just be a part of the clan, but someone that the Tree of a Thousand faces recognizes. That way no family of the clan would be able to protest the decision."

"Don't you think you're being too strict?” Jasmine protests. “There is a chance of him dying even with my Herencia. He just saved the clan from destruction and resolved the problem of the gray." 

"To become a priestess is an opportunity given only to those who have practiced for years and proven their worth to the clan. Think of my position. The families of the clan listen to me, but they have minds and warriors of their own. If they decide to push their agendas without all the fangs being here, there's a chance the clan will fall into chaos."

Jasmine tenses her face. “Is not worth it Altair, is just too risky”

I am about to resign, but then I remember Emru and how Lord Eru killed her. I remember how they attacked and how they treated the people in chains. This is my opportunity to make up for the people that I have hurt, but I can only do so much alone. I clench my fists.

"I accept. I'll undergo the trial to become a priest of the Tree of a Thousand Faces. If I survive, you will lend us a hand"


Don't forget to add the story to your library! 

❤️Follow me on Instagram for Illustrations.

❤️Read ahead, 4K illustrations, and support me on my Patreon.

0