Chapter 12: Depths
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(You've killed a level 14 adult human [Warrior] and gained 28 Exp)

As I let my eyes wander around, I could see some people shivering from the disturbing scene as they diverted their view away. Everyone held their hands trembling as they were drowning in an air filled with dread. I let out a final hissing sound as I gazed at my victim's companions, sending a shiver down their backs as my body started to shrink down, morphing into a human once again.

'I hope this image will be carved right into your souls,' I voiced my thoughts as I shifted my stance and moved toward the desk to complete my deal. Then I let out a breath covered in a bloody scent as the mountain pressuring everyone's shoulders started to disappear, setting them free.

'Care to explain now what gives you the courage to consume your kind?' I kinda almost forgot my younger self for a moment as I heard it voicing my conscience as a human.

'Because we will do worse for our goal.'

'You will eventually have to eat humans to know their memories.'

'Or do you plan to ask them nicely?'

'But there are other ways! why don't we just torture them for information?'

'Do you think they will answer? What if we get nothing but lies?'

'Why would we go the harder way when we are capable of exacting our revenge easier?'

'If you understand now, then just get over it. I promise you will get used to it overtime'

I made my way back to the desk ignoring the illusion, I stared at the trembling girl as I lifted the pen and made a knocking sound, snapping her back to reality as I questioned her, "Can we continue now?". She stuttered hard, trying to respond to my question for a little bit, and then she finally answered meekly, "Y-y-y-y...Yes, Sir!".

"Then, let us proceed. Is there anything else I need to fill or sign?" I resumed as I took a seat in front of the desk, placing my elbow on it as I supported my jaw with my hand, letting out a sigh. Surprisingly, the response was quick this time, "Yes...No, I mean no sir," as she picked up the contract, holding it in her hands, continuing her response, "Please wait a little bit; I will submit the contract and come back with the gold coins." I gave her a nod, showing my agreement.

I took a look at my status, waiting for my gold coins to arrive. I added 3 points to my [Darkness] stat, making it 35, and added the remaining 4 [Attribute Points] to [Heal], making it 66 in preparation for the Depths as I planned to dive in for some hunting to level up and grow stronger.

Time passed, and in a blink, I observed the girl as she came out of the door with a small pouch held in her right hand, along with another paper in her left hand. "This is your gold coins, sir," she voiced as she placed the pouch on the desk, "Please let me know what information you want, and if I know, I will answer. If not, I will note them and get a response from the higher-ups." I gave her a nod, acknowledging her, and then I started asking my questions, "First, is this kingdom or whatever we are right now located in Avalon Continent, and what is it called?"

"Yes, sir, this is the Norak kingdom located far on the western side of the continent." I gave her a nod as I massaged my little beard, trying to imagine how far I was from my home, but it was so vivid, that I ended up unable to do so as I had never heard of such a kingdom.

"Alright then, so how far is this kingdom from Requies kingdom, and in which direction is it?" I continued as a thought came to my mind, making me ask another question before she was able to respond, "Ah...Did any of the depth entrances there flood? or did any catastrophe happen in general?" I finished my questions, giving her the chance to respond.

"It is too far, sir, as Requies is across the other side of the continent, and it is to the west," then she resumed, "Depths? I don't have any knowledge or information about the second question, but I suppose some higher-ups can get it from our guild branches," she stated as she picked up the pen and started noting. I gave her some time, waiting until she finished, and then I proceeded with my final questions, "Depths, as in the abyss, nether, or whatever you call it, where is the nearest entrance?"

"Ah, if you mean the abyss, then the nearest entrance is close to the city from its eastern gate, although it is more of a passage than a diving spot and is managed by the military." I hummed, as I already knew the existence of such things. Passages had military posts or fortresses all around them to prevent monsters or demons from crossing over to this world.

"Ah, thank you, but one more question. Where can I find a good [Barber] to trim and fix my hair?" I gave my last question and received a response right away, "Ah, no sir, I don't, sadly. I could note it too if it's important." I waved my hands, refusing, "No, I will look for one myself," as I pushed the chair, freeing myself a bit to stand up then turned around, taking my steps toward the wooden door, leaving the tavern with my pouch in my left hand and massaging my stomach with the other one as everyone was staring at me.

Once I was outside, the first thing that came to mind was getting my hair fixed. I looked older for someone who was eighteen, and then I needed to get a spatial ring as well. Spatial rings were items created by a [Mage] specialized in space magic. I had my domain, but I preferred to separate what I wanted to keep for myself from what I wanted to benefit from. I went down the road passing by a couple of merchants looking for what I wanted and soon I got it for 12 gold coins and it was the cheapest. the ring was just spacious enough to carry about 25 KG of supply.

Once I was outside, the first thing that came to mind was getting my hair fixed. I looked older for someone who was eighteen, and then I needed to get a spatial ring as well. Spatial rings were items created by a [Mage] specialized in space magic. I had my domain, but I preferred to separate what I wanted to keep for myself from what I wanted to benefit from.

I went down the road, passing by a couple of merchants, looking for what I wanted, and soon I got it for 12 gold coins, and it was the cheapest. The ring was just spacious enough to carry about 25 KG of supplies. I soon found a good [Barber] who trimmed the hair on my face and fixed the rest of it, making it look better. I kept my long hair, as I liked it.

I left the [Barber] shop and headed toward the eastern side of the city. I passed from one street to another, taking detours to find the way. Then the thought of assuming my crow form came to my mind, and I just did it as it was convenient for me. I took off, flying above the city, looking for the eastern gate. A little time passed as I went farther east, and I finally found the gate. I flew above the gate on my way to the fortress that I spotted nearby.

I continued gliding through the air until I was right above the fortress, which was surrounded by a large wall from all sides, allowing only one entrance—the gate. It was heavily guarded, but I bypassed it, and as I went inside, I found what looked like a descending pathway dug into the floor. I started flying down, shifting into my human form. I soon landed on the floor, causing a large dust cloud that spread and attracted the attention of the nearby military personnel.

I got up from my knees, stretching my body as I marched forward toward the guards defending the path leading downhill. Once the dusty cloud disappeared, I saw everyone pull out their weapons, taking a defensive stance as I came closer to them. I wasn't here to play with them, so I took my cobra form and charged at them.

While I could fight and consume them, most of these were probably weak and would yield little [Dark Matter], [Attribute Points], and not worth the [Exp]. Finally, I knocked the ones in my way as I passed them, heading down the path leading to the abyss.

0