Chapter 26: Door
50 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

So it was, although I could see the uneasiness in his eyes as we departed the graveyard, we traveled towards Northern. I knew he didn't enjoy being told what to do, but maybe he felt it was for the best—to not get trapped in Serena's evil grasp forever.

Hopefully Sebastian would keep her from searching us out. Although I was sure she would know where Lucious and I was just by those keen senses of hers.

Before departing, I had asked him, “Where do we go when we arrive in Northern?”

He persisted that he knew of somewhere to go.

The trip to Northern wasn't long at all. With our vampire speed, we arrived there in no time. He lead me to the outside of a grungy, old building just inside the main city.

“This is it,” Lucious told.

I looked around, all the lights were off inside the building. The only light still illuminating the square was the street light above us.

“Are you sure?” I whispered as we approached the entrance.

“It's fine, Mikael. I've been here before.” He assured me as he went up to the door.

A sign hung on the glass windows read: “Condemned”.

“Looks like they've long closed down, though.” Lucious bent his head to peek inside at the remains of the tavern inside.

“Forget it!” I warned. “Let's go.”

“But we need somewhere to stay in this god forsaken city, Mikael.”

I looked at him with concern. He hadn't fed in quite a long time. His cheeks, although pale enough, began to sink and his eyes appeared to droop. If he kept refusing to feed, he was sure to soon go on a rampage, taking anyone who crossed his path.

“You need to feed, Lucious.” I came forth in my worries for him.

He waved away my concern. “No. Not yet anyway.” He glanced around my shoulder and looked off into the distance. “There's something I must show you first.”

He darted past me and entered the dark alleyway. It seemed to go on forever. We slowly approached the street light at the end. I examined the graffiti that was drawn on the walls around me, the stone pathway beneath my feet, grass and rocks between it's cracks.

I didn't speak another word. Lucious seemed sure of himself yet nothing hit me as familiar about this place. It was all completely, utterly alien to me.

Finally, as we reached the end of the path, Lucious turned the corner. Stairs made up an emergency exit that climbed to the second floor. All around us were trash receptacles, beer bottles strewn on the ground, and broken glass.

Again, I didn't recognize any of it. Was I truly from Northern?

“Follow me, Mikael.”

We made our way up the stairs. The metal footings creaked as we stepped up on them. I placed my hand out on the railing and grabbed hold. It wobbled and shook. I immediately released it in fear it could come crashing down to the ground below.

Up to the second floor we climbed to a rotten old door.

Lucious opened the door for me, allowing me to enter the area first. I proceeded inside, my footsteps echoing throughout the hall. Yet, I only heard one set of footsteps, my own.

“So...” I hesitated for a moment. “Is this where we will be staying?”

“It is,” Lucious was hesitant in his response.

I looked down the hallway. The place could have been used as a motel back in the day. Or even a brothel. Now it was completely dead.

Three doors graced the inner hall. A lone door sat at the far end. Next to me was the small entrance way leading down to the stairs.

“Which door?” I asked softly.

Lucious did not speak for a moment. I heard him rustle behind me. “I find the end door quite interesting.”

I took a step out, finally noting his footsteps following mine. I headed for that door.

I silently wondered why he was so nervous all the sudden. Had he been here before? I certainly did not recognize the area, however, that end door did seem interesting indeed.

As we stepped inside the door, I took a good look inside the darkened room. A small television sat upon a dresser and an old double bed laid out on the floor. It did look like an old motel room... and soon the visions began once more.

I walked to the bed and sat down. “This was...” I paused as I felt the bedding between my fingers.

“This was your room,” Lucious confirmed my suspicions. He crossed his arms and looked to the floor.

I sat as the memories of everything about this room came back to me all at once. Sitting here alone upon this very bed. Standing at the window behind me, watching the crowd of people below. Soon, memories of the tavern downstairs came.

All lit up, hordes of people as they joined in pool tournaments. Lovers sitting close at the bar, arms tangled around each other. The loud beat of the music pouring from the old jukebox. Single women, sitting lonely with no one to comfort them. They're eyes lit up with excitement as I sunk my fangs into their tanned flesh.

I looked up at Lucious as his face soon reappeared in those memories.

I stood from the bed and looked towards the dresser drawers. But that was not my interest.

“Mikael?” he wondered. He saw my eyes drift towards the window.

I stepped slowly around the bed to the moonlit window. I noted Lucious's footsteps behind me, carefully following me. Just beside the window, the moon came in shining brightly upon the image of him... and I.

“I-it was here...” I stuttered as the memory came back to me like it was only yesterday. “You coaxed... no, I allowed you to create a blood bond with me.”

“So you remember?” He nodded, almost in anticipation.

I looked at him with bits of confusion. “I do.” I couldn't believe it until now. He was right all along. 'Create with me a blood bond...' ran through my head as I stood in that very spot.

“What purpose?” I looked out at him, the gleam in his eyes darkened.

“It will all come back to you in due time, my friend.” He smiled as he approached. “Do not push it.” He began to wrap his arm around my waist. I faltered slightly before returning the embrace to him.

To have a rush of such memories come back all at once, breathtaking. I had not once experienced such an overwhelming feeling. It was like I was reborn somehow within my skin. Shed like a snake and regrown over old wounds. Yet, it was painfully slow. A recollection of everything I had been through, some repeating over again.

Having his arm wrapped tightly around my quivering body felt extremely relieving. Though most of those shattered memories included him, I felt warm embraced in his touch.

“I should have never surrendered you to her...” His voice came out in a silent whisper as he nuzzled his face into my dark hair.

I stepped back, immediately raising my brow in curiosity. “What?”

“Who the hell are you?” A man's voice come from behind us. The voice carried a deep accent as he entered the room.

We both turned in unison to the voice behind us. An ebony-skinned man, almost dark as the night, stood on the opposite side of the bed. He wore faded sunglasses, although it was twilight.

“Uh uh, no you don't.” His lips curled at the sight of us. “This is my crib. Ya'll best be gettin' out!”

I stood, shocked at the sight of this man... no this strange vampire who stood in our path. I could sense he, too, was of immortal blood. He looked extremely unfed though, as the sides of his cheeks dipped down showing his jaw bone. Only the bridge of his nose kept his designer glasses fit to his face.

Lucious started to approach him. “So, you live here now?”

“Mhmm, sure do. And I ain't about to be sharin with the likes of you two!” He warned, shaking a finger out towards us both.

“Give us a night,” Lucious begged. “We'll be gone in the eve.”

“Hell, no!” The strange vampire proceeded to disapprove. “Ya'll gots too much shit about chu' stinking up the place.”

“What... what are you talking about?” I asked, stepping away from the window. I neared the bedside and stood behind Lucious.

“Shit... look at you two,” The vampire voiced. “I ain't sharin my spot with no white ass boys. Especially you two with your damn chains and shit.”

I stood in awe. Lucious was persistent. “Chains? You can see our bond?”

“Hell ya, what chu can't see it? Shit... anymore now everyone's gotta damn chain. Tuggin' them along.” The vampire said. “And you is probably the worst I seen.” The vampire suddenly pointed a long finger at Lucious.

Lucious stood, arms crossed as if he didn't believe a word the vampire told. I heard him growl within his throat. “Hmph, what do you know about me?”

“I can tell you a wanted man, that's fo sho.” The vampire told, peaking Lucious's attention. “You ain't gots only a chain with that man over there, but you gots at least another. That's what I see from you.” The vampire took and waved his finger in my direction before dropping his arm back to his side. “Nah I aint sharin, no way.”

Lucious unfolded his arms. I stood behind him yet I could sense his mind wandering with the words this strange vampire had said. “It's true, what you speak.” Lucious sighed.

“See... ya'll think this still the olden' ages. Where all masters put a chain 'round their slaves. This ain't no medieval times. It's like ya'll property of yo' master or some shit... a bond now-days should mean a lot more.” The vampire spoke, catching us in complete surprise by his words. “An' see, that's why I don't associate wit' cha'll, nor do I share. I could be killed.. so if ya'll wanna crash for the day, you hafta be sleeping in the other room.”

“Fine!” I was tired of hearing it. “We'll stay in the next room over.” Lucious turned his head to me as I spoke.

The vampire smiled happily. “Good, nah' get. Damn ya'll cramp my style anyway.”

I grabbed Lucious by his shirt sleeve and began for the door. He remained silent since the vampire's words rang out. I, too, wondered exactly how many chains could Lucious have. I knew he was within Serena's possession, as well as mine. But did this strange vampire see any other that we couldn't?

And what of this a blood bond should mean much more? Exactly what was that he spoke of?

We stepped quietly out into the hallway and examined the doors lining the wall. “Take your pick.” Lucious pointed out to them.

“Does it matter?” I wondered. As long as it was dark and safe from the sun's bright rays, I was perfectly fine staying in a room filled of filth and debris.

0