24. Dark Dance
70 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Soft footsteps rushed at Oz in the darkness.

Oz leaped into the air, activating the light body technique as he did. He soared upward, light as a feather. As he soared, he began to drift forward, his balance not quite perfect.

It’s a little like being in water. I’m almost weightless, so I can easily flip and flop around. Rather than struggling to correct his course, he threw his weight forward, completing the flip.

Mid-flip, the footsteps passed under him. They slowed, as if lost.

Oz’s eyes widened at the pure black. He lifted his hand, summoning Gossip to him, and released the light body technique, dropping straight down onto the footsteps.

The book struck a glancing blow. A grunt sounded, and then the footsteps rushed off.

Oz landed on his hands and knees and pushed himself upright, listening. Toward the desk, maybe? I’m quickly losing my orientation in this darkness. Maybe if I listen carefully—

One of the children began to wail. Another one sighed dramatically, the accompanying eye roll audible in the sigh. Yet another whispered words of encouragement, while one of them simply started shouting at the crying child.

So much for listening carefully.

A hand tapped Oz’s waist. Oz jumped, whirling, Gossip outstretched.

“Mister, that’s you, right?” Maggie asked, a split second before Gossip impacted her skull.

Jerking back, Oz redirected Gossip upward. The weighty tome soared a millimeter over the girl’s head, rustling her hair as it passed.

Behind him, the sharp footsteps charged toward him once more.

Oz pushed Maggie aside and spun, waiting. Another step… one more…

The steps abruptly stopped.

They jumped! Turning Gossip sideways, he stepped aside, swinging the book like a sword in the space where he’d been.

“Oof.” Three heavy footsteps stumbled backward.

Oz reached out and grabbed a handful of cloth, dragging it toward him. A small body staggered his way, off-balance. “Who sent you?”

“The Black Blades… never tell!” a youthful voice growled, less intimidating than its speaker thought it sounded. A sharp sting burst out on the back of Oz’s hand. Oz flinched, and in that moment, he found himself holding only a cloak, as footsteps vanished into the stacks.

The lights flickered back on. Oz found himself holding a small, black cloak. A puncture mark stood out on the back of his hand, a dark bruise already swelling up under it. Darkness smeared out from the wound, already travelling up his wrist and toward his heart. Swearing under his breath, he tore a strip off the cloak and tourniqueted his arm at the lower forearm. Poisoned. Great.

Maggie looked up at him. “Mister, why’d it get dark?” Her eyes landed on his hand, and she gasped. “Your hand! You’re hurt! What happened?”  

“A bunch of bullshit, that’s what,” Oz muttered. He ran past her to the door and pushed it open.

Ice continued to smash into the barrier, but not a single hint of Professor Keane remained.

Oz wrinkled his nose. An opportunistic attack? Or did they coordinate with the Professor? For someone to be prepared to slip in with the students… He snorted. If they didn’t coordinate, then they were at that party, listening in while I and the Professor talked.

He looked down at the cat in his arms. “Hear anything, Sid?”

Sid meowed back at him, lost.

Focus, Oz. I can figure out the politics later. For now, let’s focus on not dying. This arm can’t stay tourniqueted forever. I’m working with limited time here. “Sid, can you find people? Out in the world, I mean.”

Sid blinked at him.

“Okay. Right. Please go find Linnea?”

She tilted her head.

“I’ll… I’ll get you some fish, if you do,” he promised. Or does she not understand what I’m asking for? She’s a magical cat, a fey beast, but she’s just a cat. She—

Chirping in acknowledgement, Sid loped off, nimbly dodging the falling ice.

Oz let out a breath. Thank goodness. Unless she just got distracted by something, and then… I’m fucked. Unless Aisling or Roan shows up…

A hand tugged at his robes again. Oz turned.

“Mister, why did the lights go out?” Maggie asked yet again.

Oh, wait. I have the kids! They can help me out! Oz beamed. “Do any of you have a way to contact your Professor?”

As one, the kids shook their heads.

What, really? Damn. He’s really trusting me with them.

Either that, or they’re meant to be sacrificial lambs…

Oz shook his head. I can be paranoid after I figure out how to survive.

He swiveled, searching the stacks for motion. The usually welcoming aisles loomed darkly, depths twisting into the shadow. First things first, let’s get the kids to safety. “Everyone, follow me. We’re going to do something exciting today.”

“What?” Maggie asked.

Oz beamed. “We’ll be making something to eat!”

“Snacks?”

“Food?”

“I’m hungry!”

“This way, this way.” Oz shepherded the kids toward the back of the library, keeping his eyes on the shelves as they went. He checked his wrist again. Eight. Without Fenrir, that makes seven. That assassin hasn’t left yet.

Only people weaker than me could enter. I’m stronger than the assassin.

He looked at the back of his hand. Not that it matters, if I don’t deal with this poison.

A child assassin, ready to go, with a similar power level to the kids. This was definitely a premeditated attack. Chances are, Professor Keane was in on it.

Ugh. Not winning ‘teacher of the year award,’ huh.

At the back of the library, Oz ushered the kids into the room full of small furnaces and herbs. He paused at the door, scanning the library one last time. The stacks stood empty, not a single shadow threatening him.

Oz breathed out. He shut the door behind them and threw the deadbolt. Turning, he quickly counted the kids. Mici, Maggie, Harold, Riona… He pointed at the last two, a boy and a girl with the same brown hair with similar faces. “What are your names?”

The boy waved. “I’m Sim!”

“I’m Sine. We’re twins,” the girl explained.

“Fraternal,” Sim clarified.

“Yep.” Sine nodded.

“Good to meet you. So, who’s ready to make some pills?” Oz asked, grinning at the group.

“Pills? You said we were making something to eat!” Maggie protested.

Mici frowned. “Yeah.”

“You eat pills,” Oz pointed out.

“It’s not the same,” Riona argued.

Harold crossed his arms. “Stop complaining. He’s actually going to teach us something, for once.”

Sim rolled his eyes. “Who cares? We got sent here for being bad.”

“It’s not like our parents expect us to become mages,” Sine said, spreading her hands.

“We have no talent. That’s why we got sent to Professor Keane,” Maggie announced to Oz.

Mici leaned in close. At a whisper, he confided, “He’s a bad teacher.”

“Oh? Then why did he pay for you guys to have access to the library?” Oz asked, sensing an in.

“Because he wants the library! He said we were his ticket in!” Maggie bounced in place, full of boundless energy.

Riona ducked her head, aware enough to be embarrassed. “Sorry about that.”

“No, no. It’s not your fault. But, uh, he wouldn’t have happened to mention that the library goes if I die, would he?” Oz queried.

The kids looked amongst one another. They shrugged.

“I don’t think he knew that,” Maggie said plainly.

Fucking… at least do your research if you’re going to call yourself a professor. This is the most garbage dollar-store assassination attempt I’ve ever seen, and I almost got taken out by bugs, dammit.

I’d better spread that rumor a little more aggressively myself. I obviously can’t count on my would-be usurpers to do their homework.

He turned toward the room, and the many tiny furnaces laid out along its tables. Oz rolled up his sleeves, his poisoned hand already going numb. Won’t be long before I lose all use of that hand. I have to move fast.

Putting his anxiety aside, he beamed at the kids. “Who knows some good pill books?”

2