Prologue
184 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The year is 625 since the founding of our glorious Kaedwin Empire, and it has been 6 years since Emperor Nero usurp the throne. It was the bloodiest coup d’état ever done. More than 250 thousands lives lost during that time, more than half of the senates and their families were executed. All that remained are those who are loyal to Emperor Nero. Although it was bloody in the beginning, but i think it is a good change for the Empire. Under Emperor Nero’s leadership, our glorious empire became even more prosper than ever, our military reach is unrivaled, and four years after Emperor Nero reigned, he declared war against the Holy Kingdom of Etheron, and today is exactly two years since the war began.

War was never a pleasant thing, it is, in fact a worst nightmare you can ever imagine. I’ve seen the horror of war during the coup d’état. Street filled with blood and corpses, soldiers were screaming and dying everywhere. But one thing that makes people doesn’t hate Emperor Nero, in fact many people adore him and say that he is a good and fair emperor is that he never killed civilian during his revolution. In fact his strict order was to never harm any civilian during this and previous war. There was a Vice General who used his position to take a village girl and when Emperor Nero heard about this, he executed the Vice General in front of all everyone and since then, nobody misuses their position anymore. On the other hand, Emperor Nero is someone who values skills over status, be it noble or commoner, if they have skills and merits, they will be rewarded accordingly. And that is why I joined military 5 years ago. War, although it is hell on earth, but it is an opportunity for someone who has skill, *ahem* like me, to find fortune and glory. Through my skills and bravery to leads my brothers in arms during the siege of Fort Kronox, I was appointed as Captain. And today, as one of the Captain under the command of General Domitian, we are besieging the city of Karta of the I Army, the last Fortress city before the Holy Etheron Kingdom’s capital, Ethera.

Etheron Kingdom and our Empire are always at each other’s’ throat. Nevertheless we never went to a total war, not since few generations ago. Aside from territorial dispute, the biggest issue that makes us like oil and water is the belief that we hold. The main religion in Etheron is the Temple of Kaleidon, with its main teaching is about human supremacy, whereas the Empire has firm believe in power. Yes, human supremacy, because there are various non-human races such as beastmen, dwarves, orcs, and elves. Human occupies the majority of this continent, perhaps which is the basic of their teaching. But for the Empire that seeks strength, unless becoming a royal blood or emperor, the highest position that non-human can get is as a chancellor. Nonetheless, this kind of teaching is somehow quite popular among other human kingdoms, and because Etheron is the center of the teaching, their allies rushed to help them. But even though they banded together, they were no match before the Empire’s might.

The reason why the Emperor Nero waged a total war against Etheron was closely related to the reason of the coup. The previous Emperor, Emperor Nero’s father, was trying to bring the Kaleidon’s teaching into the Empire and make it state religion. Many non-human nobles were stripped off from their title, their land seized and lots of non-human were enslaved. This brought dissatisfaction among the populace who had lived peacefully with their non-human neighbors since the beginning of the founding of the Empire. This was made possible because the previous Emperor was, of course, supported by the Temple of Kaleidon whom was happy to see their belief was spread throughout the continent. Fortunately, before the Empire was wholly consumed by the Kaleidon’s teaching, the young Emperor Nero launched a coup against his own father to save the Empire. Of course, after the successful coup against the previous Emperor, the Etheron Kingdom and Temple of Kaleidon didn’t stand idle. They and their allies were harassing the Empire and trying to instigate the people by saying that the Emperor Nero was evil and the usurper. Alas, most of the people of the Empire didn’t like, even despised the Kaleidon’s teaching, those who supported the previous Emperor were greedy nobles and incompetent military officers whom was executed right after the coup. And after reforming and strengthening the Empire, Emperor Nero declared war against Etheron.

Standing before us is the last fortress city of the Etheron Kingdom. This is going to be the toughest battle yet. As the name suggest, the fortress city of Karta is known for its defense. The city was divided into three layers. The outer layers are where the commoners live. It is surrounded with circle shaped walls with 10 meters high. It is divided into seven districts and each districts is divided with yet another 5 meters walls. The second layers is for nobles and wealthy merchants. It is also divided into 3 districts. It is also the place where the second largest temple of Kaleidon resides, so we expect the holy knight of Kaleidon will heavily defend it fiercely. They are known for being ruthless and fearless. They are chosen not based on their birth, but by their ability. It is different from being royal knight. Although they don't get noble title from the kingdom, but just by being a holy knight they are well respected, even nobles of the kingdom cannot push them around because they don't answer to the king, but to The Archpriest. They are kind to the fellow human but show no mercy to those non-human. Finally the last layer of the city where the castle of the city lord is in. The castle is built on the centermost point of the city and surrounded by 15 meters walls. This battle is going to take toll on us. Fortunately, the Empire sent two army to capture the city. Not only that, the Empire even sending us prototype weapon called cannon.

Yes, there is already magical cannon exist, but this new cannon is different. I don't know the details but instead of using magical energy from the core of the magic beast, it uses something called black powder. Rumor said that the idea behind the creation of this weapon came from the Young Emperor Nero himself. Some says this is useless, but for us, soldiers it is great innovation. Magical cannon which powered by the core from magical beast needs certain core to reach its potential. For example, if you use horned rabbit’s magic core, the power it unleashed is the same as the novice mage’s fireball, if you want more firepower, you need bigger magic core like those from class A magical beast such as gryphon or at least class B magical beast like Firewolf. But this new cannon uses black powder to launch iron ball towards the target, and the black powder itself, according to the alchemists, is easy to make. Yeah, well, just leave that to the experts.

Since the day we begun the siege, we have bombarded the wall using the cannon, and some parts of the wall were crumbled. The first unit had begun advancing into the city and in no time they have made a foothold inside the trading district, and we have begun the bombardment on the second walls. The other units too are progressing well. They have secure the East part of the city where the industrial district is located and now the bombardment towards the second wall has begun. My unit will be the vanguard this time. This is going to be tough, because i will face the zealots holy knights of Kaleidon.

The sun has set in the west by the time we have completely secured the area. Although i said secured, it is not that the will be no danger, we are still inside the enemy city after all, nonetheless, we are just ordinary human being, we need food and rest, so we make ourselves a forward camp. Because my unit will be the vanguard for tomorrow, we are excluded from guard duty, but still we are maintaining our vigilance. I was alone inside my tend, thinking about tomorrow’s battle when suddenly a bright light shines in the middle of the night. I go outside the tend and look up to the sky. There is a ball of light as bright as the sun that turn the night into bright day. The light ball of light is getting larger and larger and it envelops the whole city. I too is warped inside the light. It is warm, calming and pleasant. I can feel something divine from the warmth, it is as if my soul is called to the heaven. Everything arounds me is bright. I don't hear any sound nor i feel presence from the people around me as if everything around me is… gone….

1