Chapter 50: No Enemy Is Invincible
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sky's peripheral vision caught Lilith revealing a meaningful smile, "Sir, you must be from the Darkwater Empire."

As Lilith's voice fell, Yudel had already drawn his sword, pressing towards the middle-aged man aggressively.

The middle-aged man snorted coldly, standing up swiftly, "A mere first-rank Foundation Building cultivator dares to be so presumptuous!" As he spoke, his aura surged outwards, with dark shadowy magical fluctuations rolling out like waves from within him, exerting a formidable mental pressure that bore down directly on everyone's soul.

In this tiny space within the tent, an invisible magical force began resonating with the man's soul, instilling an odd sensation in everyone's hearts. It felt as if the very rules of heaven and earth within this confined space were beginning to merge with him, showing malice towards Yudel.

Lilith chuckled softly, stepping forward nonchalantly, her body emitting a radiant holy glow that diluted the intense malice in the space. "Sir's magical power has merged with his soul, resonating with the laws of the universe. This is the orthodox Darkwater Empire royal mage's shadow magic, isn't it? Already at the level of a sixth-tier Saint Domain Mage, no wonder you could evade my detection and appear here."

Yundel snorted and turned to General Bakker, "General, we are at war with the Darkwater Empire. Why is someone from the Darkwater Empire present in your central tent, sharing drinks and merriment with you?"

General Bakker's smile faded, his eyes narrowing as he slowly rose, "General Yundel, I have my reasons for my actions. You should be clear about your position and consider how you qualify to serve as a vice-general under me. If it weren't for your uncle Lyon, with your mere 24 years and first-rank Foundation Building cultivation, you wouldn't even qualify to be my guard."

Yundel, undisturbed by the belittlement, retorted with a cold laugh, "Bakker, as the General of Firefeather Nation, you converse secretly with an enemy nation's royal mage in the military camp. I have reason to suspect your betrayal and demand you surrender your military command token and surrender peacefully. Otherwise, do not blame me for executing you on the spot."

Bakker was momentarily stunned, then burst into laughter, "I've heard from your uncle Lyon about your arrogance and disrespect. It seems your arrogance has reached the stage of ignorance. I've heard you were born with divine strength, reaching the first-rank Foundation Building at three, disdainful of all cultivation methods encountered, lacking magical talent, relying solely on your innate abilities as you followed your uncle Lyon in military expeditions. Eventually, even Lyon could no longer tolerate you and sent you to manage the southern barbarian territories. A few months ago, your uncle died at the hands of Marshal Holham of the Darkwater Empire, and you hastily returned with 8,000 barbarian troops for the funeral. The Firefeather Kingdom, in recognition of your uncle's contributions in re-establishing the Firefeather army, granted you a nominal vice-general position. Do you really take yourself seriously?"

The Darkwater Empire's royal mage also sneered, "Your current actions resemble a newborn pup baring its teeth at a tiger, truly ignorant of death." He slightly bowed to Bakker, continuing, "I am here under Marshal Holham's orders to discuss the withdrawal of Firefeather troops, not because of your 50,000 defeated soldiers but because of General Bakker, the only seventh-rank Nascent Soul expert in Firefeather Nation. As long as Firefeather withdraws, Marshal Holham promises, as long as General Bakker remains in Firefeather, the Darkwater army will not enter your territory."

Saint Lilith maintained her serene smile, "How credible do you think such child's play promises are?"

Bakker responded indifferently, "Saint, think carefully before you speak. I was just discussing with Hyman about your Holy Light Church. In recent years, your church has rapidly developed in our nation, and your demon hunters are known for their devotion and bravery. At this critical moment, the Saint should not choose the wrong side, risking years of your church's hard work."

The mage known as Master Hyman suggested, "The Darkwater Empire does not prohibit preaching, as long as it complies with the laws and loyalties to the imperial family. I can petition Marshal Holham to formally recognize the legality of the Holy Light Church's preaching to the emperor. What do you say?"

Saint Lilith scoffed, "Can the will of the Holy Light be traded for worldly power? When the Holy Light shines upon the land, all filth hidden in the shadows will be exposed for all to see."

As she spoke, Lilith extended her right hand, as if reaching for the stars, and gently grasped in the ethereal space. Suddenly, a radiant golden light, like the first ray of dawn piercing through the clouds, shone brightly. In that moment, a 180cm long Holy Light Scepter appeared in her palm.

This scepter, pure and white, seemed made of the most pristine light. Its head cleverly incorporated symbols of the new moon and the cross. The long handle was intricately engraved with patterns of the Tree of Life, angel wings, and starry paths, each mark embodying the traces of time and the glow of wisdom, converging into an indescribable aura of sanctity.

Lilith raised the New Moon Cross Scepter, gently tapping it on the ground. Holy light spread out, softly yet firmly lifting the entire central tent's top and surrounding curtains, casting them far outside the military camp.

Outside the central tent, Firefeather soldiers watched with complex emotions.

Above them, a giant magical array formed from holy light spells operated, displaying everything that had occurred inside the tent to all soldiers. Meanwhile, sound-transmitting arrays had been placed throughout the camp, broadcasting the conversation inside the tent.

Unlike most soldiers, shocked and somewhat at a loss, three divisions within the camp were already neatly assembled in order.

The first division, about 6,000 strong, wore silver-white full-body armor, even covering their faces with full helmets. They carried six broad-bladed short spears on their backs, their blades gleaming coldly, occasionally crackling with golden electrical energy. They stood tall and silent, like 6,000 statues, their silent presence imposing a heavy pressure. They were the elite demon hunters of the Holy Light Church.

The second division, protected by the demon hunters, was small, numbering just under 500. Unlike the imposing demon hunters, they wore simple white robes, each holding a 150cm milky white staff. They radiated a calm, holy light, embodying the most powerful healing force on the Pan continent—the Holy Light Priests, directly under the Saint.

The third division differed entirely in style. About 8,000 strong, they wore blood-red leather armor made from beast hides, robust in build. Each was accompanied by a massive magic wolf, darker than usual, with lengths exceeding 2 meters, their formidable stature distinct from ordinary wolves. These wolves wore saddles made from magical beast hides, each equipped with a broad-bladed greatsword. This was Yudel's magic wolf cavalry, brought from the southern mountains of Firefeather Nation.

Bakker's frown deepened, his voice growing cold, "Saint Lilith, what is the meaning of this? Or rather, what does the Holy Light Church intend?"

Lilith's smile remained, "This is the guidance of the Holy Light."

Yudel took a deep breath, loudly proclaiming, "Soldiers of Firefeather, as you have seen and heard, Bakker has conspired with the enemy and betrayed our nation. I now, by the authority of a vice-general according to Firefeather military law, take command and hereby arrest Bakker. Should there be resistance, he will be executed on the spot."

Bakker laughed bitterly, "What I have done was for the strategic benefit of the nation. Now, with the Darkwater army's continuous victories and high morale, outnumbering our forces by more than six times, and with General Lyon's recent defeat and death, our 100,000-strong army shattered, and I, the only seventh-rank expert left, facing them head-on is tantamount to throwing eggs against rocks, utterly without chance of victory. The only path to survival is through negotiation with the Darkwater Empire, to preserve the last seeds of Firefeather. To think my painstaking plans are seen as treason by a rash youth like you, truly disheartens me."

Master Hyman of the Darkwater Empire confidently stated, "The Darkwater army is invincible." His voice, though not loud, was clearly carried to every Firefeather soldier through magical means, instilling a sense of defeat within them.

Yudel turned to Hyman with a cold retort, "Do not be hasty; in a moment, I will slay you to rally our troops."

Hyman chuckled, "A first-rank cultivator thinking to kill me, a sixth-tier Saint Domain Mage, is the most laughable thing I've heard."

Yudel ignored him, turning back to Bakker, "Enough talk. Surrender now, or I will execute you according to Firefeather military law."

"Foolish arrogance!" Bakker's anger erupted. Without any visible movement, he began to float, rising until he was over 10 meters off the ground.

Floating without external aid or using spiritual or magical power, merging with the world's rules, is a sign of reaching the seventh-rank Nascent Soul or legendary mage. This simple act of levitation displayed Bakker's Nascent Soul prowess.

Bakker spread his arms, shouting angrily, as a fiery phoenix shadow, ablaze with flames, appeared behind him. This is a Nascent Soul practitioner's ability to nurture a second self within, known as the "True Self," which grows under the nourishment of the universe's laws. In battle, Nascent Soul practitioners can manifest their "True Self" into a shadow to aid in combat, known as the "Dharma Body." The maturity of the "True Self" reflects in the solidity and power of the Dharma Body, which wields the power of universal laws for offense and defense.

Now, Bakker floated like a deity, thundering, "Ignorant child, I will show you what it means to throw eggs against rocks, what it means to be invincible. Facing me, a seventh-rank Nascent Soul, is like facing the Darkwater Empire's 300,000-strong army, utterly powerless. Your actions, though brave, will lead Firefeather into the abyss of destruction."

For a seventh-rank Nascent Soul to kill a first-rank Foundation Builder is as easy as squashing an ant. Bakker's grand display of his Dharma Body was a declaration of authority.

Yudel glanced at Saint Lilith, who encouraged him with a smile. He looked up at Bakker and his fiery phoenix, the sky painted red with flames.

Then, Yudel smiled, his expression bright as a child with a beloved toy, excited and thrilled. After a hearty laugh, he bellowed, "No Enemy Is Invincible."

0