Chapter 59: Engage in battle
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hearing the scout's report, Marvin expressed his surprise, "The Firefeather Army? How could the Firefeather Army appear here?"

He composed himself, regaining his calm, "Explain clearly. How many from the Firefeather Army, from which direction did they come, and what kind of troops?"

The scout, gasping for breath, reported, "They came from the east, across the Deerfield River. Our squad of five initially encountered a scouting cavalry unit of theirs, also five strong. After a skirmish, we lost two brothers but killed four of them, with one escaping. However, we sensed something was amiss. Why would the Firefeather Army's scouts appear here? So, we followed the escaping scout cavalry further east, only to discover a large force of the Firefeather Army marching towards the Demonic Corridor. The exact number is unclear, but at least ten thousand by estimation. Primarily infantry, though we also spotted a small number of cavalry units on either side of their formation. We intended to observe closer, but were discovered. In the end, only I managed to return, the rest of my brothers sacrificed."

"A force of ten thousand?" Marvin's pupils contracted slightly, pondering for a moment before instructing a sergeant behind him, "Take everyone back immediately, activate the Demonic Corridor's defense mode, then split up to inform the nearby allied forces of this intelligence. Prepare for battle. I must rush to the nearest communication magic array to report this situation."

With that, Marvin leaped onto his demonic steed and galloped towards the nearest communication magic array. The sergeant took command of the remaining forces, turning the group around to speed away.

Soon, the entire Blackfeather Army's supply route buzzed with activity like a disturbed hornet's nest.

Every five kilometers along the Demonic Corridor, a small guard post was stationed, and every twenty-five kilometers, a small garrison. The mages stationed at these posts began to unseal the storage boxes of magical energy crystals, distributing special magical energy crystals to the stationed soldiers.

The soldiers, having received the crystals, dashed out of the posts, heading to the main root systems of the demonic vines facing east. They placed the magical energy crystals close to the main roots, then activated these special crystals following standard procedure.

Instantly, the surfaces of these demonic vines began to wriggle, spikes protruding rapidly, growing longer, and hardening. The preset enchantments within the magic energy crystals were activated, coating the vines and spikes with durability, fire resistance, sharpness, and other enchantments.

In the various small garrison stations, soldiers began donning armor, distributing weapons, and each received a small crystal bottle from the quartermaster to carry.

Then, squads of five, led by their sergeants, rushed to designated locations, rapidly assembling the troops. Soon, twenty squads formed a company of a hundred, then ten companies formed a thousand-strong battalion, with the centurions, followed by an additional company of direct guards, merging into the battalion's ranks. After brief motivational speeches, they set out.

From the north, three thousand-strong battalions advanced towards the anticipated attack position of the Firefeather Army; from the south, two more arrived. In a short time, a defense force of five thousand was assembled, showcasing the efficiency of the Blackwater Army's war machinery.

Additionally, numerous five-man scouting squads mounted on demonic steeds set out to reconnoiter the Firefeather Army's raiding forces.

The value placed on intelligence, the presence of contingency plans and operational standards for different scenarios, the industrialized military production system, and a comprehensive military officer training system underscore the fearsome capabilities of the Blackwater Army.

Meanwhile, through relayed communications via the magic array, the Blackwater Army's commander, Holham, received news of the impending attack on the Demonic Corridor. Though not overly concerned, confident in the defense system of the Demonic Corridor he personally oversaw the construction of, he was curious. Just a few days ago, Master Hyman, sent to negotiate with the Firefeather Army, reported promising progress, with Firefeather's Bakker nearly agreeing to the proposed peace terms. Yet now, a force of ten thousand Firefeather troops appeared, preparing to ambush the Blackwater Army's Demonic Corridor.

With intelligence indicating the Firefeather Army retained a force of approximately fifty thousand, although previously defeated by him, their combat effectiveness remained considerable in his view.

Approaching the sand table, Holham thought briefly before summoning a messenger, instructing, "Use the long-distance communication magic array to notify General Allen. Command him to deploy his main forces to rescue the Demonic Corridor, cautioning against ambushes en route. The Firefeather Army's total strength is around fifty thousand, likely setting ambushes along the way."

After the messenger departed, Holham, standing before the sand table, mused, "This tactical arrangement doesn't seem like Bakker's style. What exactly is happening within the Firefeather Army? I wonder how Hyman is faring; I hope he can make it back alive." Concern for his friend Hyman's safety weighed on him.

Holham led a formidable force of three hundred thousand, divided into three one hundred thousand-strong legions. Besides the elite central legion under his direct command, there were General Allen's right-wing legion and General Sam's left-wing legion, both experienced and capable commanders. Especially General Allen, a warrior renowned for his valor and battle prowess, having risen from the ranks through sheer combat achievements. Lacking strong magical talent, he relied on bio-technological enhancements and the Blackwater Army's cultivation system to reach the peak of a sixth-level warrior. Recognized as the third most powerful in the Blackwater Army, only behind Holham and General Bern stationed in the north, he was acclaimed as the strongest below the seventh level across the Pan continent.

General Allen, too, received detailed news of the Firefeather Army's ambush on the Demonic Corridor. His right-wing legion's scouts had spotted unusual smoke signals from the direction of Deerfield River and discovered a Firefeather Army camp and departing troops upon investigation.

Not daring to linger for fear of discovery, the scouts hastily returned to report to the Blackwater Army's right-wing legion.

General Allen immediately convened an emergency meeting of senior officers. Suddenly, a communication soldier rushed in, announcing, "General Allen, a message from Marshal Holham." He delivered the note containing Holham's orders to Allen.

After reading the message, Allen pondered briefly, then stood and gestured over the sand table, laughing heartily, "Seems the Firefeather brats are playing a game of encirclement and rescue. Excellent, watch me devour these last fifty thousand Firefeather troops in one swoop."

Looking around with a cold smile, he declared, "Leave thirty thousand to hold our current lines. The remaining seventy thousand will be split into two groups: twenty thousand as the vanguard to rescue the Demonic Corridor, and fifty thousand led by me, departing half an hour later. This is the mantis stalking the cicada, unaware of the oriole behind."

At noon, under the high sun and gusty winds stirring clouds of sand, the eastern face of the Blackwater Army's Demonic Corridor bristled with hardened, sharp spikes. The intertwined vine wall now had gaps every meter, serving as loopholes for the defending archers and crossbowmen. Given the Demonic Corridor's elevation about a meter above the ground, it effectively became a defensive fortification with a height advantage.

All preparations for basic defense on the Demonic Corridor were in place. Meanwhile, on the horizon to the east, the Firefeather Army finally made its appearance.

Leading the charge were about two groups of 500 cavalry each, not the main force but tasked with preventing the infantry from being disrupted by any cavalry charges from the Blackwater Army before they could form up. They halted just outside the effective range of the Blackwater Army's long-range attacks, such as arrows and magic, then gradually, ranks of infantry wielding round shields and short swords slowly came into view, followed by crossbowmen and pikemen. Each troop type was strategically placed to form square formations.

In the center of each square formation, protected by many soldiers, was a horse-mounted, robe-clad Holy Light Priest holding a staff, beginning to chant holy prayers, bestowing blessings, strength, agility, and other buffs on the warriors within each formation. Some formations also had elemental mages casting spells to enhance their own magical defenses, casting speed, magic penetration, and range among other buffs.

Marvin, leading his hundred-strong cavalry unit, had joined the three thousand-strong battalions from the north. His men, all mounted on towering demonic steeds, formed up on a piece of high ground not far from the Demonic Corridor.

From the moment the scout sounded the alarm to the Firefeather Army's arrival, a defensive force of more than five thousand had rapidly assembled on the Blackwater Army's side of the Demonic Corridor, including the three battalions from the north and two from the south. With a higher proportion of cavalry in this region, about 1500 of the five thousand defenders were mounted on demonic steeds, outnumbering the Firefeather Army's cavalry.

These 1500 Blackwater cavalry were split into two groups, 900 to the north and 600 to the south, eyeing the Firefeather Army's formation with predatory intent. They awaited the Firefeather Army's assault on the Demonic Corridor. With 3500 infantry positioned for defense within, as long as these foot soldiers could hold the line, the cavalry would strike from both directions, leveraging the demonic steeds' mobility and charge power to break the Firefeather formation.

First, however, the Blackwater cavalry needed to rout the Firefeather cavalry protecting the flanks. Past experiences on the battlefield had bolstered their confidence; a head-on clash would scatter the Firefeather cavalry. The Blackwater cavalry, riding demonic steeds, were renowned as the finest in the land, a reputation unchallenged for centuries.

Marvin narrowed his eyes, his bio-engineered vision scrutinizing the distant Firefeather formation as they began to move. Under the cover of the front-line shield-bearers, the entire Firefeather formation advanced.

A volley of magically enhanced arrows, designed for longer range, reduced air resistance, and armor penetration, was launched from the Blackwater side. The arrow barrage was not dense but precisely calculated to arc into the Firefeather ranks.

Marvin knew this was just probing, assessing the Firefeather Army's defense against ranged attacks. Typically, the attackers would raise their shields for protection, which would slow their advance. However, the Firefeather shield-bearers neither slowed nor raised their shields but instead quickened their pace into a jog.

Marvin frowned, puzzled by this response from the experienced warrior. The strong east-to-west wind today would affect the Blackwater arrows' power. Yet, the wind's impact shouldn't be so significant that the Firefeather forces could ignore the need for shields.

Suddenly, within the Firefeather ranks, centered around the mounted Holy Light Priests, milky white domes of light appeared.

The Blackwater arrows passed through these domes without hindrance, but the next moment, all magical enhancements on the arrows were nullified. The strong wind immediately sapped most of the arrows' kinetic energy and deviated them from their intended paths.

Some Firefeather soldiers fell, but the casualties were far less than the Blackwater Army had anticipated.

A cavalryman beside Marvin couldn't help but ask, "Centurion, what's this? I've never seen such a defense before. It doesn't seem like a protective shield but more like a countermeasure that nullifies our arrows' magical effects."

Marvin shook his head, "I've never seen it either."

At that moment, another rider whispered in alarm, "Look, they're changing formation."

 

0