chapter 16 – Stupid Meeting
65 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My morning was ruined. The reason for this was my roommate. "Wake up idiots, we're late!" She has a rather menacing voice, but when she screams she's like a predator. I slept terrible today. I'm not used to sleeping with strangers in the same room. Their snoring and other noise gave no rest. And that's why I couldn't sleep. And now I don't understand a thing. "Please Lisa, don't make noise."

Luckily I was forcibly awakened. Someone's hand squeezed my nose, not allowing me to breathe. This made me wake up easily. "What the hell!" It was Shio. She, like Liana, were already dressed in the academy uniform. Shio however managed to stand out with her pants and sleeves having wide cutouts. To be honest, I’m not used to it, it’s too unusual for me.

"Get up, sleepyhead, we’re late for the meeting, all the students should be there." I only now realized what Liana was shouting about. Crap. "Lane, get up, damn it." Liana tried to wake up Lane. It seems like they two are morning birds, unlike us. "Move away." Shio weakly pushed Liana aside and woke Lane up in the same way as me. "What the hell?!" Lane, you, like me, will have to get used to it.

After the two of us woke up, we spent a short time preparing ourselves in the bathroom. I'm not worried about my appearance. No amount of makeup will fix my face, but Lane stayed there longer than necessary. "Why can't you wake up as early as Lane." Liana made this comment and now we are all munching on cookies. “I’ll also buy us a kettle, is everyone happy with that?” Shio and I didn’t object. Honestly. I'm still not used to them. It's a matter of time, but still. I may never adapt to this.

As a result, we ran after a couple of people, as it turned out we were more late than we expected. What also made the path more difficult were the crappy markings. We couldn't decide where to go based on them. To our benefit, someone turned out to be smarter or has already encountered this problem. And he showed us the way. “We’ll have to thank him later.” Liana said. Knowing where to go, I concentrated. On our academic uniform.

It's looked quite beautiful. White shirt and pants. having gold metal accessories. Honestly, by selling this uniform, anyone can survive for a month. They are probably expensive. Which is strange to me. Why trust students so much? I wouldn't spend so much money, but I'm not the director of this academy. It’s not for me to decide. The design of the uniform is not the only thing I paid attention to. The interior of the academy really looks magical. I noticed this yesterday, but in full consciousness it still looks great. But we didn’t have to enjoy the views for long; we got there.

A large crowd of people gathered indoors. And they all evoked a feeling of superiority. And for a reason. The crowd is divided into two. On the other side there are only rich people and children of influential people. And on the other there were ordinary people. This division is strange to me. Doesn't the academy position itself as a fair educational institution? Of course, some pay more, but still. Such division can only cause internal conflictsConflicts with each other. But, it is what it is. 

I look at the stage and there is no one on it yet. Apparently they won’t start until they get people like us. "We shouldn't have been in such a hurry." It was Lane who said it. And it’s true, we shouldn’t have been so tense. "It’s better than just sleeping for an extra couple of minutes." Liana said. During that short period of time, I already formed an opinion about everyone. Lane is lazy and a bit of a liar, she clearly tries harder than anyone else to be nice, and I don't like that much. Shio is a mystery to me. I read that a race of half-beasts exists, I never delved into it. But this is not the main thing. The way she behaves evokes a feeling of seriousness. Or what is the correct way to say this? Of all of us, she seems to be the oldest. I wonder what the reason for this is. Liana is also special. She's pretty reliable. I hope so. And also has special roots. Haneke Rossi is a fairly powerful magician capable of summoning a crowd of fiery animals. And apparently she also inherited his element. All three of them are pretty special.

And I. The one who stands out the most among everyone. I feel their gaze. They are directed at me and clearly do not disrupt this. Crowd. They look at me like I'm a special puppy. How I looked at Shio. They're trying to get under my skin. And I understand them. My appearance as a corpse scares them. And the situation happening around the latest events in my house arouses their interest. Before I came here, Sera warned me. All here, my potential future enemies. I have to be careful with who I'm friends with. And try not to create conflicts with others. But Sera didn’t take into account the fact that I might not be able to trust anyone here. Even my roommates. They will probably pierce my back at someone else's request, if it is beneficial for them. Therefore, I must be ready. And I can't trust anyone here. "Don't look at them, don't worry about them. They're not worth your stress." Shio suddenly interrupted my thoughts. She stood next to me. The others didn't seem to notice it. I turned to her looking puzzled. But she just looked at the stage and said nothing more. Maybe I'm not right. Maybe there is someone I can trust. Shio, I'm interested to know who you are. I can't trust you. But my interest in you was increased. I would be glad to become your friend. So don't let me down. And I won't let you either.

A person familiar to me stood on the stage. Midas, and that makes sense. He is an archmage and the founder of the academy. A plump old man stood next to him. Judging by his harmless appearance, you can’t tell that he is a director and a former strong magician. If I don’t know what to say about the director, the same cannot be said about Midas. After I saw him once. I decided to read a little about who he is. And I learned a lot of things. The second most powerful magician in the empire. Masters all elements including the dark. Participated in all important wars. And he was with the emperor from the moment the country was born. Important person. 

"Good morning everyone. We apologize for speaking so early, but after this you will have the whole day to rest. Now I welcome each of you here, all of you are magicians. Citizens of our great empire. In the near future you will become influential persons, but for now you students. Students of the great..." He continued to talk about who we are and what we should do. To be honest, I expected that Midas would also say something. But during the director's speech, Midas simply teleported. I would listen to what he had to say. But we have what we have. I decided to pay attention to someone else, more interesting. And I didn’t have to search for long. Shio. She looked angry. I couldn't find a reason for this. But I could swear she was looking at someone in the crowd. Her gaze was deadly, devoid of attractiveness. Her left hand clenched and squeezed. She clearly wants to kill someone. And I'm not the only one who noticed this.

"Are you okay?" Liana said it. She looked at Shio as if she was really worried. And I should too. If she kills someone, I might get hit by society. I already attract too much attention. And I don’t even need that kind of attention. "It's okay." Everything is not okay. But I hope she can calm down. On the other side of Shio stood Lane. And someone is already flirting with her. Six people surrounded her, including two girls. Lane herself was softly winking at someone and whispering something to them. I was shocked, it seemed to me that Lane was absolutely ordinary. Liana and Shio look more attractive compared to her. But if you think about it, it might be logical. Lane is a sweet and modest girl, in their opinion. Many people like this type. And with such people it is much easier to have children. Although Shio is beautiful, her skin color and animal body parts can be intimidating. Idiots. But if you think about it, it might be logical. Lane is a sweet and modest girl, in their opinion. Many people like this type. And with such people it is much easier to have children. Although Shio is beautiful, her skin color and animal parts of her bodies can be intimidating. Idiots. And Liana simply evokes a menacing aura.

"I don’t understand what’s so special about them that they see in her." I asked this question to Liana. She looked at me as if I had said something stupid and chuckled at me. What did I say that was so funny? "You don’t know?" "No." She just smiled and said in a whisper in my ear. "You should always look for information about potential partners, this girl received a gift from the deity of light a month ago. And now she is the third in the entire empire who owns the light and the gift of god." This explained everything. That she doesn't seem rich, but is in good middle class. The way others try to get her attention. It all made sense. Now my impression of her has slightly changed. This does not change the fact that she seems quite deceitful. Suddenly the director coughed loudly, drawing attention to himself. "Students, many of you, even though you have not turned eighteen years old, you must study as if your life depends on it. You are our future generation. And the better you are, the better our empire will be. For the Empire!" "For the Empire!" After that We were finally released.

“So sad, why did I even wake up? It’s all your fault for wasting your time.” Lane complained about the useless meeting. “At least you had someone to chat with.” I made this comment, Liana was silent all day, only occasionally giving comments. And Shio, well. She's not in the mood at all. "You're talking about these parasites. They don't care about me. They only care about my ability." For the first time, I agreed with her. I'm glad that she understands that they don't care about her. Maybe all is not lost with her. we ended up splitting up. Shio went somewhere without saying anything. Lane went to look for some friend. Liana went to get the kettle. And I don’t know what to do. I realized too late that they were all leaving to join someone else. And now I'm left alone. I look at the rest of the students, they make friends, hang out, do something. And I’m afraid to approach anyone. And why should I? Many of them either view me as a candidate for a wife, or as a freak. Therefore, it’s better to go into the room and read books and relax. There are no better ideas. Lessons start only tomorrow. For now, the bed is waiting for me.

However, I stopped when I saw an unpleasant scene. Shio stood in the center of the room. Other students surrounded her but I had a good view of the scene. Someone stood in front of Shio pouring something from a bottle on her. It was a green-haired girl. Lane stood next to her, looking confused. "Forgive me animal, I didn't want it." Her voice. Her face. Shit she's racist. She purposely pisses her off. I didn’t see Shio’s face from behind. But she was already in a bad mood. I have to intervene. I was about to intervene, but suddenly a crowd of students began to laugh and insult her. "Beast." "Dog or whoever you are, accept her forgiveness." "Why are you standing or you can't speak kitty." This whole scene looks like a big joke. Incredibly stupid. It's like I'm in some stupid novel about racism. I need stop, it. It's time to be a hero and be the first to use your gift for good, Tenma. You can do it. "Hey bitch!"

0