Strength
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Every year, as the warmth of summer began to embrace the western lands, a palpable excitement permeated the air, signalling the arrival of a much-anticipated event called Camireth Festival.

For the religious, it held a profound significance as a pious occasion dedicated to the worship of Amiren, the goddess of harvest.

However, beyond religious rituals, the festival had evolved into a cultural extravaganza, especially beloved among the youth, who had subtly transformed its essence into a celebration of romance.

As a nod to tradition, many embraced the opportunity to dress in a combination of white and red, adhering to cultural customs.

An aspect of the festival involved the floating of lanterns in nearby water bodies. Despite modern pollution concerns leading to some restrictions, many enthusiasts continued with this cherished tradition.

As Arden was booting up his computer, he saw Avien storming in, tossing his shoes aside. He seemed to be in a bad mood.

“I almost got in a fight”

Ard, only half attentive, inquired, "What happened?"

“Some f*cking douchebag cut in front of me in line…..” Avien scoffed, his face showing a comical amount of anger. “The look on his face….I thought assh*les like those existed only in movies”

“What’d you do”                                        

“Nothing…..The guy was fu*king huge”  he swung open the fridge door  “He mumbled something about being in a hurry and just turned around”

‘How was that almost getting into a fight?’

Days like these left them particularly vulnerable. They tried their best to retreat to their rooms swiftly, steering clear of the impending horde of couples swarming the streets like unleashed cattle.

The only exception was Trev.

“How’s it looking?” Trev was all smiles as he walked in. His girlfriend, whom he hadn't seen for a couple of months, was in town, and he was gearing up to go to the festival with her.

“Shut up”

“Get out, rat”

Trev's spirits didn't waver in the slightest; if anything, his smile widened. In truth, he was no different from them, cracking jokes and assuming an air of superiority whenever he stumbled upon an affectionate couple in public. There was even a time when he went on a solid 30-minute rant after witnessing a couple making out near their room. As such, his current demeanour was particularly irksome.

The room fell into calm as Trev left. Avien kept sighing as his nerves hadn’t settled yet from his encounter.

"I think I'll head to bed.....Sorry, Ard."

"Sure," Ard replied, leaning back in his chair. After a few minutes, he got up and made his way to the balcony. Though the outside ambiance was calming, a slight tension lingered, given that this was his first return since the events of the previous time.

As expected, nearly every building stood empty, only a few rooms shining with light here and there. Amidst the quiet, he heard laughter, and looking down, saw a small group walking on the pathway below.

A sudden skip of his heartbeat caught him off guard at the glimpse of a blonde-haired figure in the distance. Familiar emotions started to stir, but Ard quickly regained composure upon realizing it was an entirely different person.

‘I wonder if she’s at the event.....Ave...’

Melancholy slowly settled over him.

Aveline ­– nicknamed Ave –  was someone who attended a school that was close to Ard's, and was also his first foray into romance. Their story was a cliché, the sort that Ard would typically scoff at.

He was cautious initially, considering her immense popularity and the large number of people pursuing her.

While Ard was no stranger to popularity due to his good looks, he was someone who tried his best to avoid social interactions whenever possible. Ave, though not the most sociable, was much better at it than him, and this contrast alone put her in a different dimension altogether.

Their whirlwind romance lasted a few fleeting months, with their infatuation intensifying day by day.

Nearing the time that Ard entered college, a massive fight erupted between them, putting an abrupt end to what they shared.

Typically, relationships fuelled by emotions as intense as theirs often found avenues to reconnect. Unfortunately, for them, this was not the case—largely because of his actions.

And when she entered college...

As Ard felt his emotions boiling, he suddenly stopped, hearing the sound of metal creaking.

He observed the railing he was clenching, molded into the shape of his fingers.

‘F*ck’

This….. was something that he was striving to divert his attention from.

It dawned on him a day after awakening from his bizarre experience. After spending the initial day entirely in a daze, from the second day onward, he started noticing gradual changes.

His senses appeared heightened. Colours became more vivid, scents more pronounced, and there was a general increase in vitality.

Additionally, his body underwent a significant transformation—his shoulders broadened, and his physique became chiselled with muscle. He was also reasonably certain that he had gained at least an inch in height.

Given his already tall stature, the increase didn't seem to be at a noticeable threshold yet. However, a sense of unease began to settle in as the growth seemed to continue steadily. The thought of suddenly standing out became increasingly unnerving for him.

However, the most concerning part was the emergence of extraordinary strength. It manifested in surprising ways from time to time.

Just the day before, he had effortlessly moved a car he was leaning on, astonishing a group of passing students. He had to swiftly improvise his way out of the situation.

With only one more day to endure until he returned home for the semester break, Ard grappled with the situation he found himself in.

As he contemplated ways to repair the railing, a sudden onslaught of information and images assailed his mind, causing him to clutch his head in pain.

When he regained consciousness, he found himself lying on the floor.

Surveying his surroundings, he gazed up, lost in thought.

 ‘......The qi forging realm.....Huh’

1