Chapter 1 – Morning
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Tears?" I thought as I woke up; I hadn't dreamt that night. In fact, I don't think I've dreamt since childhood. Lying in the single bed, in the winter cold, I gaze out the window only to find the first rays of sun emerging on the horizon—a relatively familiar sight. It was rare for me to wake up after sunrise.

- Another day waking up in pain, great - I grumbled as I slowly sat up in bed. Waking up with muscle pain had become frequent, but it wasn't concerning enough to consult a doctor.

In that room illuminated by the early sunlight, there wasn't much—just a bed large enough for one person, accompanied by a headboard and a desk. On the wall, a calendar marked the date of February 10, 1997, and, like any good student, there was a large stack of books on the table.

"Today is... the first day at this new school."

I glanced quickly at the clock next to my bed; it was 5:30 in the morning, relatively early considering the classes start at 7 a.m.

"I can't believe I had to move to this school. If it weren't for this new 'guardian,' I would be with all my friends. I hate having to make new friends."

Finally, I get out of bed, heading to the bathroom to get ready for the new beginning. In the past year, crime rates had exponentially increased in my hometown, Tokyo, prompting my parents to move to a quieter area with less crime and more peace in daily life—Kyoto.

Looking closely in the mirror of the new bathroom, I notice a slight scratch on my face, a thin face with light brown eyes like amber.

-Again? Do I scratch myself in my sleep too? If this continues, I better check with the hospital if I'm okay - I said aloud while combing my messy hair.

"Huh, where is the school again?"

***

"Darn it, knew I should have asked Mom yesterday where the school was. All she left before going to work was a note telling me to do the laundry," I said aloud while running towards the school after asking three different people for directions.

In passing, I saw a woman staring at me from a distance—an tall woman with long silver hair, lips as red as cherries, and a sharp gaze of light blue eyes. Impossible not to stand out on a street.

"It's not even 7 a.m., and she's all made up? That's strange..."

***

"So this is it."

The school was large, with two sports courts and an Olympic-sized swimming pool—a famous school in the region for its high university acceptance rate. Walking through the corridors, I noticed several eyes observing me—some curious, others with ill intentions, and some indecipherable.

-Good morning, class. Today, we have a new student. Come on in, dear! - Said the voice from the other side of the door.

"Whew, here goes nothing." I opened the door slowly, feeling my heartbeat in my chest. A fear of judgment made my hands tremble slightly, one of the few daily symptoms of the social phobia I had. With the first step I took, the beautiful and slender woman with silver hair awaited me inside the room, with a gentle and mysterious smile.

-Introduce yourself, dear. Don't be shy - Said the beauty as she looked directly into my eyes.

-Oh, sorry. Nice to meet you all. I'm Touka Natanael. - I introduced myself with a forced smile. - I hope to get along with everyone here.

0