Chapter 3 – The Weight of Truth and the Complicity of Cruelty
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elias took a deep breath, gathering his strength to reveal the truth, though he knew his words would be like sharpened knives, cutting through the layers of hope and love that Kael had built around Allison. With a calmness that contrasted the storm of emotions within, he began to speak.

"Kael, when I arrived at Allison's mansion, she led me to a room. I didn't know why I was there, but when I entered, I saw you. You were in bed, Kael, in such a critical state that I could barely recognize you. You were covered in wounds and pus, your breathing barely perceptible." He closed his eyes for a moment, as if trying to block the distressing memory that had haunted him since then.

The present slowly faded in the room as Elias spoke, his words forming a connection between the shadows of the past and the dim light of the present. Kael, motionless in bed, listened to his friend's words like a distant echo, feeling his mind drifting in the twilight of unconsciousness.

For a moment, reality became ethereal, and past events came to life in Elias's mind, as if he were watching an old black-and-white movie.

The memory unfolded like a slow-motion scene before Elias's eyes. Allison's mansion materialized in his mind, every corner and hallway resonating with an echo of solemnity. When he entered the room, the pungent smell of illness mixed with the fragrance of scented candles, creating a surreal atmosphere. There, in the bed, lay Kael, his figure barely recognizable under bandages and the pallor of fever.

"I didn't expect to see Kael in this condition," he said calmly but urgently, trying to maintain composure in the face of Allison's apparent indifference. "It seems he needs urgent medical attention."

Allison, however, showed no hint of empathy. Her eyes, cold as ice, scrutinized Elias as if she were assessing an insect under a magnifying glass. Her frigid expression starkly contrasted with the severity of the situation.

"I've been told you're his friend," she snapped, her voice sharp as a dagger. "Either you take Kael and take care of him, or you leave him here. I don't care what happens to him."

Allison's words filled the room with an echo of cruelty. Elias was stunned by the woman's lack of compassion, by her ability to treat Kael's life as inconsequential.

"How can you be so indifferent?" he asked with a barely contained voice, though it was steeped in a mix of disbelief and sadness. "Kael is your fiancé. Don't you feel anything for him? How can you look at someone you supposedly love and treat their life as if it were insignificant?"

Allison let out a scornful laugh, as if the idea of feeling anything for Kael was absurd to her. "Love is for the weak," she said disdainfully. "In this world, only the strong survive. Kael is simply a burden holding me back, a weight I have no intention of carrying. If you choose to take him and take care of him, do so. If not, I couldn't care less."

Elias felt a mix of anger and despair. He couldn't understand how someone could be so cruel, how they could look at someone they had once loved in such a ruthless way.

Allison shot him a glacial look before continuing her disdain. "Love is an illusion, a weakness that people like you use to justify their insignificant existence," she said with a voice as sharp as a knife's edge. "I have no interest whatsoever. Now, decide what you will do with Kael. My patience has a limit, and I have no time to waste on cheap sentimentality."

Elias felt a shiver run down his spine as he absorbed the hostility and contempt in Allison's words. It was as if she were disconnected from any form of empathy or compassion.

"I expected to find someone who cared for Kael," murmured Elias with a voice laden with sadness. "But it seems I was mistaken when it comes to you."

Allison maintained her cold and merciless gaze, as if compassion and remorse were foreign concepts to her. In that moment, Elias realized he couldn't expect anything from her, and that Kael's life was in his hands.

He took a deep breath, trying to contain the surge of emotions threatening to overwhelm him. He knew Kael's life was at stake, and he couldn't afford to lose his composure.

"I understand," he said cautiously, choosing his words carefully to avoid a direct confrontation. "But I'm not a healer. I'm his friend, and I'll do everything in my power to help him. But I need resources and a suitable place to treat his wounds."

In response to Elias's words, Allison maintained her impassive gaze, as if assessing the sincerity in his words. After a tense moment of silence, she nodded as if she had made a decision, although her gesture lacked any sign of warmth or empathy.

"Very well," she finally said, and there was a hint of acceptance in her cold-as-ice voice. "You will build a cabin atop the mountain, far from this mansion and my sight. The fresh air and serene environment may be beneficial for his recovery. I'll ensure you have the necessary supplies: food, medicine, whatever you need to take care of him. But make it clear, Elias, this arrangement is temporary and solely for Kael's life. Expect no gratitude from me, neither now nor in the future."

Elias nodded, understanding the coldness behind those words. There was no place for gratitude in Allison's heart; there existed only ruthless pragmatism. He knew he had to accept these conditions if he wanted to save Kael. His priority was his friend's health and well-being, even if it meant dealing with someone as heartless as Allison.

"Understood," replied Elias firmly, his jaw clenched in determination. "We'll make preparations to move to the mountaintop as soon as possible. I only hope Kael can recover and find some peace."

Allison's mocking smile curved on her lips, a gesture completely devoid of warmth or humanity. "Peace is for the weak, just like love," she said with palpable disdain. "Kael is just a burden to me, a nuisance I must endure for reasons that are none of your concern. But rest assured, Elias, if you fail to uphold your end of the deal, there won't be a place in this world where you can hide from my wrath."

Elias felt a chill. There was no doubt this woman was capable of following through with her threats. Her gaze and tone made it clear; she wouldn't hesitate to cause harm if she believed someone stood in her way.

"I understand the gravity of our situation and the importance of fulfilling our agreement," replied Elias calmly. "My commitment is to Kael, and I'll do everything within my power to ensure he's safe and receives the care he needs."

After reaching this fragile yet crucial agreement, Elias turned to Kael with a determined look. He approached the bed and gently placed a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"Kael," he murmured softly but firmly, "it's time to go."

Elias's words echoed in the room, a reminder that the present awaited outside the shadows of the past. Kael, who had been silently listening as Elias recounted the story, blinked slowly, processing every detail. He found himself torn between disbelief and gratitude for having someone like Elias by his side.

Kael looked at Elias with eyes that, despite his blindness, sparkled with a glimmer of gratitude. His lips curved into a smile, an expression that puzzled Elias, especially considering Allison's cruel and heartless nature.

"Elias, you don't understand," said Kael with a voice soft but laden with emotion. "Allison saved my life."

The words hung in the air, filling the room with a sense of disbelief. Elias couldn't help but furrow his brow, confused by the apparent contradiction between Allison's past actions and Kael's words.

"What are you saying, Kael?" asked Elias, his voice full of confusion and astonishment. "How can someone who treated you this way be the reason you're alive?"

Kael closed his eyes for a moment, as if gathering strength to explain something complex and hard to understand. When he opened them again, they held a spark of conviction that seemed to defy superficial appearances.

"When I arrived at that mansion, I was at death's door," began Kael, his voice trembling but firm. "My wounds were infected, my body weakened, and my spirit almost shattered. Allison could have let me die in that room, unconcerned about my fate. But instead, she provided me with the resources and care I needed to survive."

Kael paused, allowing his words to sink into Elias's mind. The room was filled with silence, broken only by the distant murmur of the wind outside the window.

"So why did she treat you with such cruelty?" asked Elias, his mind spinning as he tried to reconcile Allison's actions with Kael's words.

"It's complicated, Elias," said Kael finally, carrying a hint of sadness and resignation with him. "Sometimes, people are more complex than they seem at first glance. Although I still don't fully understand it, I think I have an idea."

0