Chapter 35: Lizards
17 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hmm.  I'd better remain out of sight for this one.  If I do end up cause rampaging dragons to raze this town, it would be a very good idea to not be observed.

Maybe I should call it off.

..But dragons.  If I have a good excuse for making dragons rampage over a town, it would be too good to pass up.

This thought leads the bird to a very high overflight of the area, and then an approach to the dragon pen from just above the surface of the water, the lake's proving to be clear, quite shallow, and with a rocky bottom instead of a muddy one.  Indeed the dragon pens, or pens, as it becomes apparent, are formed from a huge pile of rocks, stacked up until the top is well clear of the bottom.  There are then several improvements added, such as some dirt for soft places, and some big slabs of rock to heat up in the sun.  Despite the fire, the dragons appear to like it well enough.  All is surrounded and separated into a number of pens by strange, metallic wire.

There are several support structures.  A large barn is built on top of the rocks, along with three more buildings.  Those are moored to the side, built as sort of rafts or houseboats.  One is more permanent, attached to the ground with long wooden piles.

Sneaking about, the bird examines all these buildings.  One room is human living quarters, with several beds and several small boats attached to the larger one, including a bigger raft-thing obviously made to accommodate a dragon.  It's also occupied, so time to stay away.

The permanent building has the smoke machine in it, humming away.  It's attached to the fences by what must be electric wire.  So it's some kind of generator, albeit with crystals burning instead of some more mundane fuel.. there's a big hopper full of small, oddly-shaped crystals, several tons of them, and they get fed into the machine by gravity.  Hmm.  The third outbuilding is some kind of office, with lots of records and a very small paddock with just enough space for one dragon, and a ramp to lead it in.

..As for the barn, there are two more people in it, along with five dragons.  Three of them have large horns, and are much more brilliantly coloured than the dragons are outside, one being a vivid red, one being a bright orange, and one being a rather sour-looking yellow-green.  The remaining two are all curled up on the ground, sitting on clutches of eggs.  The two people are, at this moment, at work.  One is cleaning out some other stalls, and the other is providing water for the three dragon stallions.

Well, gotta decide if I'm doing this or not.  I agreed to do it, but Sala knows that if I'm doing a bad thing to someone who is good, I'll make it a karmic good thing.  But that's a little harder when I can't show myself to anyone.

Also, dragons.  I really do want to do it, because people panicking about dragons rampaging about is too good a prank to waste.

Checking the records, which requires threading twine through a filing cabinet so additional weights could be used to pull the drawer open, this isn't a Kuzenko business.  It's some other company known as Anders Standard.  It also looks like they sell about twenty or so dragons a year to various people.. and they're used mostly as war animals.  Some to the country, some to private buyers, some to adventurers.

Hmm.  Pretty mundane.  Time to check out the town side of things.

Unfortunately, nobody in town is marching about, twirling his mustache, giving evil speeches about the dragons he gives to criminals, but it isn't too hard to find the owner of the dragon paddock, who is quite wealthy and has a couple personal bodyguards in a small town.  That's absolutely a bad sign, right there.  However, a bit more checking shows that they're not the paddock owner's bodyguards, they belong to some frou-frou noble who is visiting who wants a fancy dragon for his personal guard, coming with a very fancy looking carriage, a couple of carriage horses, and a larger carriage for the dragon.  Several servants, too, so quite the trip.. they've filled the local inn and several seem to be staying in the house itself.  Hmm.  They're discussing the purchase in an upstairs room, which a quick peek reveals to be a fine dining room full of porcelain and crystal.  There are also a few more people here, including two more guards, making for a total of four.

Hmm.  You know, I don't have to break the generator personally..

2