Chapter 39: Travels
8 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next step on the capital journey is to cross the Forest of Kuzenar.  It's wide, extending as far as Raucous can see, from a thousand feet up.  The near edge isn't too wild, there being cottages and woodcutters and paths, all along the little streams heading out from the Forest Hills, green and clearly visible in the distance.  Far beyond that, are the blue mountains which will be the next stop.

Also unfortunate people near the forest have protections against flying creatures.  Their windows have shutters, their chimneys are covered, and most things are held under covers and rooftops.  Raucous has to actually pay for food here, buying a chunk of lovely bread and dripping gravy.  The locals sound curious, but they're much more cautious than expected, only interacting from afar and keeping the children hidden.  Clearly there's something wrong with having wings here.

The mystery doesn't remain one for long.  Shortly after entering the forest, a squadron of eagle-sized dragonflies starts beelining towards Raucous.  He's forced to spend a full hour gaining altitude, going up above the clouds to lose them, as they eventually stop and head back down towards the forest.

Above the clouds, all is calm, with the sun in a brilliant blue sky, the world below being all fluffy and soft-looking, the tops of clouds.. these clouds, resemble spun sugar and soft cotton.  Without improved flight, Raucous could never make it up here, not properly.

There's a long period of a few hours as the bird soars above the clouds, followed by diving into and through them, playing in the sunlight and fog.

Although, eventually, the bird has to fly eastwards.  It does so, occasionally dipping below the cloud cover to look at the forest.  In most places, there are ordinary trees.  In other places, things are dark, with ominous clouds boiling from the ground, or the trees themselves.  In other places, the insects are so dense the swarms of giant creatures are easily visible, clouding out the treetops and making a loud hum, audible from thousands of feet up.

There are also the forest roads, visible as glimpses through occasional breaks in the tree cover.  They also look tiny and insignificant next to the great expanse of green, as they wind onwards through the mighty forest, and around the forest hills.

Eventually, as the sun sets and the tired bird pushes itself onward, looking for a safe spot to rest, the forest becomes more tame.  There are areas under silviculture, with trees planted in even rows.  There are more cottages, and eventually, there is a great forest city on the east side, where Raucous is to deliver a message.

Later.  Tonight is to find a nice safe treetop or rooftop for a sleep.  And hopefully the giant insects won't come by and murder him in the night.

...

Raucous spends the night in a hollow in the middle of a woodpile, after spending a good few minutes pulling his exhausted body into a small gap in the wood.  Fortunately the insects are much larger than him.  Hopefully they won't be strong enough to dismantle the huge pile of wood enough to work their way in here.

2