Chapter 59
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Dark powers?” muttered Colet under his breath.

The centaur chieftain recalled back to the time between his discussion about dark powers with Eupoos and the day they marched towards the Torpin Stronghold. At the time, he didn’t suspect anything because he thought he knew his friend well. Ides mostly kept to himself so he assumed the centaur was just focused on preparing the bow wielders for combat. Looking back, he realized what was happening. While all the centaurs were preparing for battle, his friend was looking into dark powers and likely got tempted by what he learned. The dark powers corrupted the centaur turning him into the monster that took over Orisa. With dark powers, not only could Ides get back to Orisa faster than his group but the centaur could also survive the purificator as seen by the abomination’s survival. This whole time, he refused to accept the possibility his friend was lost to powers beyond his understanding. Now, his friend stole his position and might even turn the other centaurs against him.

“Colet!” shouted Sofice.

Colet apologized knowing his mind was distracted. When asked, he shared his recollection and the signs of his friend embracing dark powers. He expressed that Ogmoth was likely right and asked what they could do about him and the centaurs currently under the pretender’s command. A part of him held out to hope that they could reclaim Orisa from Ides.

“It’s too late,” said Kagarath.

“What?” said Colet and Sofice in unison.

“Let me put it this way.” The demon leader pointed in the direction of Orisa. “While you all were heading this way, Ogmoth sensed an incredible power coming from the city. For such a big magic signature, it can only mean two things. Either the centaurs were sacrificed to open a portal or the centaurs are corrupted by the same dark powers that corrupted Ides. In both cases, the centaurs are lost to you forever.”

The thought of failing his people brought out all the negative emotions building within him. In a brief moment of lost self control, the centaur chieftain stomped a foot down. When he noticed cracks on the ground, he looked up at the surprised expressions of the demons and Sofice. Only Zulgar looked amused by his little act of rage.

“I apologize.”

While the others tried to reassure Colet that it wasn’t his fault, a flurry of activity outside the tent got everyone’s attention. A minute later, Ilumin was inside the tent. The Cloud Hawk relayed the sighting of various unknown creatures exiting Orisa. Those creatures looked to be heading towards the encampment and, due to distance, she couldn’t identify any of their features. Ilumin also reported the undead army a few hours of march from the encampment.

“How did they travel so fast?”

Colet knew they were a few days of travel based on their estimates from Igas’ ability. Undead soldiers couldn’t simply teleport and, even with the ability to never tire, they could physically cover so much ground.

“That explains everything!” When Ogmoth noticed the inquisitive stares of the others, he offered to explain. “During Colet’s little venting session, I sensed a portal closing in the direction the undead soldiers were coming from. I initially thought I mistook Colet’s powers with what I sensed but it would appear the undead’s master is capable of portal magic.”

“Soul of Xemir…”

“What did you say?” Ogmoth’s amused look from the portal magic turned serious. “Did you say Soul of Xemir?”

Colet wasn’t prepared for Ogmoth’s reaction. He had always assumed the being wasn’t well known since he couldn’t see most surviving an encounter with someone like him. He and his centaurs only escaped because the Soul of Xemir decided to turn their chase into a game. Otherwise, they would have been hunted down and killed due to not having the headstart they had.

“Yes,” replied Colet. “He claimed to be the Soul of Xemir and chose to make a game out of pursuing us. He has the intention of wiping all non-humans out.”

“And he specializes in undead magic?” After he saw Colet’s nod, Ogmoth stood up before everyone. “I fear the situation is worse than I expected. I must alert our blacksmith and armorer. Our standard weapons won’t suffice against the Soul of Xemir. We need more specialized weapons to face the undead horde.”

Ogmoth excused himself and exited the tent. Everyone turned their attention to Kagarath, expecting him to share his thoughts on the matter. The demon leader stated that he had no prior encounter with the Soul of Xemir. However, he did reveal that Ogmoth had a personal debt he wanted to settle with the being. If any of them was curious, Kagarath suggested they ask him themselves. Certain matters were best not delved deeper unless one got permission.

“What now?” asked Zulgar. “Undead to the south and dark power monsters to the north. Surely we aren’t going to foolishly make our last stand here against these odds.”

“We make them fight each other,” said Colet.

Upon seeing the puzzled looks from others, Colet began explaining his past experiences with those of similar personality as the Soul of Xemir. He claimed that these personalities had a sadistic nature and loved dragging out the suffering of their victims. Therefore, nothing would please the Soul of Xemir more than allowing the centaurs to stew while the undead army took their time reaching Orisa. He then asked everyone why the portal magic was used.

“He sensed the big magic signature and feared his prey would be taken from him."

Colet nodded in agreement with the same conclusion as Kagarath. He then explained how, with both sides wanting everyone within the encampment dead by their hands, the situation could be turned in their favor.

“If we move ourselves to a location where the two sides are forced to engage each other,” said Kagarath, “then we can weaken them as he evaluate our next move.”

“It’s a risky endeavor,” said Zulgar, “but I like it. We the prey will set the trap for the hunters. The more they slaughter each other, the better the odds of our survival.”

0