Chapter 61
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Colet discussed the plan with Zulgar a couple of times until both of them memorized every step. While neither of them was fond of memorizing every detail, the discussion was at least a distraction from the boredom otherwise awaiting them in the chamber. The beastman leader had grown more accustomed to the underground surroundings following the reassurance from Colet. However, both of them had little to fend off the boredom that was already taking a toll on the other centaurs and beastmen. The action was taking place above them but no one was be foolish enough to take part knowing how outmatched they were. Hiding underground was their only chance of survival. In addition, they needed the demons to succeed in executing their role.

“Chieftain,” said Actolio as he approached Colet.

Colet feared the ax wielder leader might become reckless once the boredom became too much. The centaur was young and full of energy. He had Konstite as his mentor but, once that veteran centaur gave up his life, Colet never felt he could fill the role of mentor. Following the discovery of what happened in Orisa, the centaur chieftain even wondered if abandoning his title would be a wiser option. The title felt so empty when the majority of the centaurs were either under Ides’ control or dead.

“Sofice, Kallosa and all the healers suddenly grew ill.”

Colet rushed to his sister’s side where he watched the other centaurs helplessly tended to the healers. With the roles reversed, those centaurs were at a loss to what they could do to aid their ailing centaurs. While Colet knew the basics of healing from his sister’s influence, even he could tell easily that the affliction was something beyond his abilities. He stared down at the pale face of his sister whose eyes were closed. They opened slightly before a quiet voice came out of her mouth.

“I’ll be fine.”

The words only made Colet feel worse. At a time when he had to rise to the occasion, he could only hide underground hoping someone else could get the job done. At the sight of the healers growing ill, he looked up wondering what could be causing them the suffering. His hunch leaned towards what Ides sent at them. During their withdrawal from the undead, none of the healers showed any of the symptoms they were showing. Their pale complexion was only seen worse due to their collapse on the floor. All of them appeared asleep and even Sofice, who managed to utter her words earlier, went back to an unconscious state. Colet wasn't sure if they were at the brink of death or if they were fighting whatever invaded their bodies.

“Cover the healers with blankets and monitor them in the meantime,” ordered Colet. "If they need food or water, don't hesitate to supply them what they need."

The centaur chieftain disliked the situation more and more. Unlike humans, centaurs were much harder to move around. It wasn’t uncommon for wounded centaurs to be abandoned on the battlefield because it was nearly impossible to transport them to safety without risking the lives of other centaurs. If they had the right spells, they wouldn’t have this issue. He could only hope the demons had something that could aid them if they had to evacuate from their position. For the time being, he could only hope and pray the situation would improve. The thought of abandoning his sister made his heart ache.

“So this is where you are all hiding?”

A familiar voice made Colet turn his head. Before the being could say more, a handful of spears were thrown but they all went straight through it.

“I wouldn’t waste my time with this illusion,” said the Ides illusion in the middle of the chamber. “I’m only here with a generous proposal.”

“Shut your mouth!” shouted Zulgar. “We beastmen will never negotiate with the servants of the dark god!”

Ides’ laugh shook the entire chamber, forcing many beastmen and centaurs to back away from the illusion.

“My proposal isn’t for lowly beastmen. Your corpses can rot here for all I care.”

When Ides turned to Colet, the centaur chieftain studied the stranger before him. Clad in armor that resembled darkness itself, only Ides’ eyes and hooves were showing. The armor looked like a solidified version of the black ooze that the giant beastman used for healing and defensive purposes. The armor was such a perfect fit that one could mistake it for a second skin for Ides. When Colet focused on the eyes, he felt himself pulled into the dark orbs as something called out to him. When Ides moved his mouth, he felt the words communicated directly to his mind.

“Centaurs! I am the new chieftain and I bring good news to you all! I am willing to grant all of you pardon for not joining me outside of Orisa. I understand that you were all in shock and weren’t making the most sound decision. After all, you have traveled long distances so fatigue was unavoidable and judgement was questionable. I give you a second chance to join the centaurs and serve me. In return, I promise you great power and wealth. You shall rule over the plains and nothing will stand in your way. Even the humans will tremble when they hear of the centaurs. My servants are waiting for you aboveground right now. The decision should be a simple one!”

Serve the new chieftain! He will lead the centaurs to greatness!

Colet tried to push away the voices in his head but they kept coming back.

Don’t you want to see a golden age for the centaurs? Why create this division?

Are you so tempted by power that you would let the centaurs die out?

You are unworthy of your position. Let go of the past and embrace the future!

A true chieftain would abandon his title in return for the greater good of the centaurs.

Colet writhed in pain as the voices in his head grew louder with each passing second. Centaurs he had known in the past all urged him to join Ides.

1