Chapter 2: Accusation
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Forty-eight hours have passed since Hitto’s arrest. His new home was a grungy cell filled with cobwebs in each of its dark corners. It was also quite cold. The slight breeze from a summer night seeped its way through the cracks of the iron bars lining the windows. It bothered him a bit, as he was without any proper bedding or clothes to keep him warm.

But it would only remain a slight bother, as his biggest concern was the amount of time he was wasting. Two days ago was supposed to be the day he bid farewell to Stenner’s Grove. Now, he finds himself in the town's cell. What a turn of events.

“Hey, you alive in there?” a voice called from beyond the lined window. “Why don’t you speak? It’ll help both of us if time moves faster.”

It was the prison guard stationed to keep watch of him from outside the cell. A member of the Mercenary Guild who wore that same black vest with a golden dog on it. He sat cross-legged against the outer prison walls.

“No, it won’t,” Hitto sighed. “Right now, I want time to move slowly or not at all.”

“Why?”

“Because the date of this year's Warrior Examination is coming up,” he answered. “And I don’t want to miss it.”

“Ah, that,” the guard chuckled. “I remember when I took that stupid test ten years ago. Trust me when I say it isn’t worth it for the cost. In today's day and age, you don’t need to join the Association to make a living.”

“I’m not doing it to make a living,” the boy corrected. “I want to fight strong people, and the Association is filled with strong people.”

“And who told you that?” the guard spat back. “You can fight strong people without joining the Association anyways; why would you want to cause infighting?”

Hitto didn’t bother to respond. Instead, he began to tap his foot rapidly. The sound echoed throughout the cell. When would he be allowed out? Was all he thought. 

“Whatever, don’t answer. I really don’t care. My name is Maximus, by the way. If we are gonna be stuck with each other for a bit, then we might as well know each other's name.”

“Hitto,” the boy replied curtly. His stomach then let out a foul growl. “Could you bring me some food? I’m hungry.”

“Can’t do that,” the guard smirked. “Against the rules. You get food when it's time to eat.”

“And I’m hungry, which means it’s time to eat.”

“What? No. That’s not how it works,” laughed Maximus. “It's not a matter of whether you’re hungry or not. We will bring you food when it's actually time to eat.”

“But it is time to eat,” Hitto protested. “When else would someone eat if not when they're hungry? You don’t make any sense.”

“No, you don’t make any sense,” the guard wailed. “This is what I get for arguing with a kid half my age – it's very simple. You get food when the prison distributes food. You’re not getting anything just because you’re hungry.”

The boy crossed his arms and furrowed his brows. “Well, that’s just inhumane. You do realize that I am a human, right? I’d like a bit more respect.”

“You’re in jail. You don’t get any respect right now. You should be happy that I even bothered to entertain you.”

“You were the one who was bored out of their mind when I wasn’t speaking earlier, so don’t go getting upset now.”

“Whatever!” Maximus cried. He raised his hands in defeat. “Let’s just end this here, shall we? I think the silence was much better than this.”

“No,” Hitto smiled. “I prefer this. If I’m stuck here, then I’ll keep annoying you.”

 The now red-faced guard scampered onto his feet. “So, you do know what you’re doing!”

“No? I don’t know what you mean by that.”

“What's with all this noise?” another voice called. It came from just outside the jail cell.

Instantly, Hitto's relaxed expression disappeared. Whose voice was that?

The cell door creaked open with some effort, revealing a rather tall man with a sharp goatee. He, too, bore the emblem of the mercenary guild on his black vest.

“Hitto, right?” he smiled. “I had the pleasure of learning all about you before I came here. Tomorrow morning, you will have your trial.”

Once he finished those last few words, he gave a courteous bow.

“Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Alfus Alfonso. I go by Sir Alfonso, so please call me as such. I am the leader of the hired hands placed on this compound.”

“Nice to meet you,” the boy responded quickly. “If possible, could I have my trial now?”

“Unfortunately, that is not possible,” Alfonso replied. “As you can clearly see, it is dark outside, so your trial will be in the morning. Please do understand.”

“Wow,” Hitto clapped. “Unlike your guard, you show a lot of respect to prisoners. He can probably learn a thing or two from you.”

“Well, of course,” Alfonso bowed again. “I try to present myself in the best manner at all times.”

His eyes drifted to the bar-lined window. “Maximus, correct?”

A little ‘eep’ could be heard from beyond the prison cell.

“I believe I told you to treat all prisoners with the utmost respect. We are members of the famed Mercenary Guild. Our courteous acts of chivalry are supposed to be well known to all people we face, whether they be friends or foes.”

“Yes! Of course!” Maximus beamed.

“With that said,” Hitto smiled, rubbing his stomach. “I’ve been quite hungry, so could I get some food?”

“Yes, you may,” Alfonso smiled back. “I believe all prisoners deserve to be treated with respect. Just one moment, I will return with a plate filled with food I believe you would find most delectable.”

He flashed another one of those majestic bows before leaving the cell.

“Why can’t you be more like your leader?” the boy snorted. “He’s even going as far as to bring me food personally.”

“Oh, shut it,” Maximus grunted. “You’re lucky he’s such an easy-going guy.”

Not long after, Sir Alfonso returned with three plates, each filled with a delightful amount of treats. Hitto was drooling all over the ground as he helped himself to the plethora of food. It didn’t even take him twenty minutes to finish everything.

“That was great,” he burped. “The chef deserves five stars.”

“Why thank you,” Alfonso beamed. “I’ve been working on my craft for quite some time now.”

“You made this?”

“Well of course!” he laughed. “I’m glad you enjoyed it, and I wish you the best during your trial. I’ll be back tomorrow morning. I bid you farewell for now.”

He left the cell once more, allowing the silence to envelop.

“Maximus, are you still there?” Hitto called out.

“Yes, but it's time for bed.”

“Alright,” the boy sighed.

He didn’t want tomorrow to come. Especially after the guards completely ignored him on the day of his arrest. Who’s to say that his trial will be fair? For all he knew, they were plotting against him.

He rested his head against the cold surface and looked up at the ceiling. “Hey.”

“I said it’s time for bed.”

“Just one more question.”

Maximus let out a heavy sigh. “What is it?”

“Do you think this place is fair? Or were they just using me? I collected all this wood for the boss of this place, and the moment I decided to leave, this happens. Am I overthinking it, or is it strange?”

“… I don’t know, kid. Just rest your eyes and let tomorrow come. Hopefully, you’ll have a fair trial.”

 


 

Like he had said, Sir Alfonso was back. This time, however, he was joined by two other members of the Mercenary Guild. One held a blindfold and the other a rope. It was a familiar sight to the on-edge Hitto.

“It’s protocol,” Alfonso claimed as the boy was chained. “Trust me, I don’t want to do this, but I must uphold the rules.

“It’s fine.”

But it wasn’t. Deep down, Hitto hated the fact that he was being restrained again.

They ushered him through the cell and out of the dark narrow halls of the jail. Light cast red rays through his blindfold as he took a moment to enjoy the morning breeze. Even just hearing the wildlife and animals was enough to calm him for the time being.

Everything is going to be okay, he thought. It’s all going to be okay.

They finally arrived at their destination – the town squares trial hall. A grand building sporting white marble pillars at each of its corners. Compared to the rest of the town, it was quite marvellous. Two other guards were stationed right outside of the building.

“Sir Alfonso!” one called out, saluting his leader. “Everything inside is ready for Hitto’s trial!”

“Great work,” Alfonso responded. “Remove his blindfold and let the trial begin.”  

The guards opened the grand doors to the trial hall. Inside were rows of seats filled with the town's inhabitants. They lead all the way to a grand throne at the very back of the hall, where the Lord of the town sat.

Hitto was ushered through the aisle as inaudible chatter filled the room. He couldn’t make out what they were saying, but he did have some educated guesses like, ‘The wild boy has finally been imprisoned.’ I was getting tired of seeing him on the compound,’ or ‘he always smelled, so this is for the better.’

Since his arrival, everyone had been on edge around him, so he was always on edge around them. They weren’t to be trusted, and these thoughts were backed up by the amount of eyes that avoided his gaze. He didn’t want to look at any of them as well.

The chatter finally ceased the moment he reached the Lord's seat. A rather old man sat on it. His face had a frown plastered onto its wrinkly canvas, and his head was covered in weak grey strands. He wore a black suit adorned with a purple cape that stood out like a sore thumb. 

He opened his frail lips, “Bring the defendant closer.”

“Yes, Lord Zachary Stenner,” Sir Alfonso began. “Here, who stands before you is Hitto of no surname. He is accused of battery and attempted murder.” 

Gasps escaped from the crowd as Lord Stenner waved a single hand – ushering them all to quiet down.

“I see,” he sighed. “Bring in the plaintiff, and let us hear both arguments.”

The doors to the hall opened once more, and Hitto could not contain his frown. Sunja was escorted in by the guards who had put him behind bars a few days ago. And unlike his reception earlier, there were many in the crowd who cheered and pleaded for his case.

But he hasn’t even said a thing! Hitto thought while scowling. They really only have each other’s backs. An outsider like me shouldn’t have stayed here long.

Finally, his nemesis reached the back of the hall with a large grin that stretched from ear to ear. He was unchained, unblindfolded, and had a nice round stomach. The sight cemented Hitto’s rage.

 “Sunja, correct?” Lord Stenner began.

“Yes, my Lord,” the frail man replied with a curt bow.

“I’ve heard a lot about you,” the old man stated with a slight grin. “You and your men have been reaching above the quota in the logger camps for years now. The excess produce has helped us afford many expansions elsewhere.”

“It is a pleasure to be of such help!”

“And an honour that I find you in my employment. Now, please state your argument.”

Sunja stated everything, yet nothing at the same time, leaving Hitto completely bewildered. There was no mention of the lack of loggers, no mention of his surprise attack, and no mention of his attempt to extort him. Instead, the boy was made out to be some ‘crazy wild animal’ who finally became unhinged and attacked a hard, dutiful worker.  Astonishing.

“My Lord,” the guard from that day began. “We can back up each and every one of this man's claims; we were there to witness the whole ordeal unfold.”

“Liar!” Hitto spat.

His crimson eyes practically bulged out of their sockets as he pulled against the ropes that bound him. His anger now shifted to the guards, who were blatantly lying about something they had not seen at all. How could they do this to him?

“Calm at once, boy,” Lord Stenner sighed. “How unsightly. You do realize that this behaviour can be used against you in court?”

“And what?” Hitto shot back. “I don’t care! And I have nothing to say! You’re all fucked in the head!”

Gasps escaped from the crowd, which quickly fell deathly silent.

“Then we do not need to hear from you,” the Lord snapped. “Send him back to the jail cell. We will transport him to Lawt Prison in a week.”

“Fuck you,” the boy muttered.

“Pardon?” Lord Stenner questioned.  

“I believe it is time for me to send the boy back,” Sir Alfonso intervened.

“No,” Lord Stenner hissed. “What did that fiend say?”

Hitto pulled on the ropes once more and spat on the ground. He then followed up by driving his foot into the sullied area, stamping the spit into the ground.

“You heard me,” he snarled. “Fuck you.”

“Then you wish for death!?” the old man shouted. “Boy, trust me when I say I’ve been lenient with you!”

“Father!” a girl's voice called from the aisles. “Please don’t stress yourself!”

Hitto turned to face the mass of spectators. Guarded by six guards on each side was a fair maiden with golden blonde locks and ocean-blue eyes. She wore a simple all-white dress that complimented her beauty and took everyone’s breath away. Eventually, she made her way over to Lord Stenner, giving all the guards a courteous smile before facing the judge.

“Don’t stress,” she reiterated before turning to face the imprisoned Hitto. “And also, the trial is just beginning.”

1