Chapter 14: Lights, Camera, Action (4)
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the impact subsided, Ned’s eyes drifted toward the divine barrier. He hadn’t expected Rurah to use an advanced Incantation at this stage, especially one as dangerous as Lightning Incantation 65. Maybe that Vargas he was fighting was the real deal after all.

“Pay attention!” Jonah yelled as he prodded his sword toward Ned’s chest. The rapier wielder quickly repositioned his blade and parried the attack upward. With his opponent now exposed, he swiftly lunged his sword toward his chest.

 In response, Jonah extended the palm of his spare hand, placing it strategically between himself and the oncoming rapier. “Wind Incantation 1!” he yelled.

A wind bubble bloomed and grew from his palm, steadily getting larger with each passing second. It connected with the rapier – letting out a gust explosion that throttled Ned backward. The rapier wielder struggled against the blast as he was forced toward the edge of the stage. He quickly wedged his blade into the arena, stopping him in his tracks as he waited for the gust to subside.

After what felt like forever, he was able to stand back on his feet as his expression soured. “Really? A Wind Incantation? So, you’re still copying me after all this time, huh.”

“I-I’m not copying,” Jonah stammered while placing a hand on his chest. “My affinity for wind is good. That’s why I use it.”

“Shut up,” Ned spoke as he pulled the blade from the ground. “Your affinity for fire is better. You just want to spite me.”

The swordsman stared blankly, slightly lowering his head as his lips refused to open. Upon seeing this, Ned clicked his tongue and slowly began to approach. Just as he had done many times before, Jonah was avoiding confrontation. Ned couldn’t fathom why he chose to allow misunderstandings to persist when he could easily explain himself. It was annoying.

“Then say it to my face,” he began again, now standing inches away from Jonah. “Do you use wind incantations because you have a good affinity for it or because you want to copy me?”

Jonah refused to meet his eyes, and it was the only answer Ned needed. He let out another sigh as he turned away in disgust with clenched fists. He still remembers vividly their time at the academy and, more importantly, the affinity test incident.

It was around two years ago, back when they were just sixteen and entering their second year at Magus Academy. At this point in time, he and Jonah were already top of their class and competing in every field. But there was a firm difference between them. Jonah hailed from a rich family and had access to private lessons, while he, despite being from a noble home, had to work for every opportunity. This reality meant Ned was always facing an uphill battle to be the very best. One that he was constantly losing.

By the time the affinity test had ended, he had somehow managed to turn the tides thanks to his rare ability. He had a natural affinity for all four of the base elements – water, fire, earth, and wind. This newfound asset meant he qualified for scholarships and could finally compete with Jonah on a level playing field.

But that was when everything changed. Upon hearing the news that their son slipped from first place, the Harp family bought a controlling stake in the school. They used their power to influence grading and rig all tournaments in Jonah’s favour. Eventually, Ned found out and confronted the swordsman. He demanded to know if his rival knew anything about this and, if so, why he’d allow it to continue.

And in response?

He got a half-assed answer.

“I don’t care,” Jonah had said. “It doesn’t matter.”

This, alongside his family's involvement in the South, shattered Ned’s image of the boy completely beyond repair. And even so, he continued to seek him out and pry for answers as to why he remained indifferent… All to no avail.

“You’re pathetic,” he spat while pointing his rapier toward him. “I’ll show you the difference between you and me!”

He sprinted toward Jonah with his rapier ready to strike his torso. Sensing this, the swordsman positioned his blade to parry – but was caught off. At the last second, Ned adjusted his grip, and the blade was now headed for his opponent’s thigh. The piercing strike plunged into his flesh, with blood splattering everywhere as he continued his run past.

Jonah wailed in response as anger filled his eyes. “Fire Incantation 1!” he yelled while raising his hand. A ball of flame appeared in his palm that he pressed against the wound. As it seared his flesh shut, he gnashed his teeth, refusing to let out any sounds.

Ned watched on for an indefinite period, completely bewildered by the out-of-character actions he was witnessing. By the time Jonah was done, his brown eyes bulged with red, and his chest expanded and contracted wildly. Steam emitted from the closed wound as he pointed his blade at the rapier wielder.

“You didn’t have to do that,” Ned frowned. “The Healer’s Guild would’ve patched you up after the match. You’re doing too much.”

“No,” he huffed. “I’m not doing too much. I’m simply showing you the difference between us.”

Ned’s brows furrowed as he clenched his teeth. “You think you’re funny!?” he raged while charging toward him.

Their blades met once more as they engaged in a frenzy of blows. Metal clashed and vibrated as their swords intertwined to the gasps and cheers of the crowd. It was a spectacle for the ages—intense and relentless swordsmanship with neither side looking to back down.

“Fire incantation 15,” Jonah uttered calmly after their latest bout.

His blade became engulfed in red flames that shone brightly and wildly. Sensing the danger, Ned took multiple steps back as Jonah ruthlessly pushed forward. The swordsman dragged the blade into the ground with a single arm before scraping it up toward Ned. Smoke and embers emitted from the blade, blasting the rapier wielder’s face, who was blinded for a mere second.

Jonah used the opportunity to lunge forward as Ned wiped his eyes clear, still trailing back. Now completely outstretched, he positioned his palm toward his opponent’s stomach. “Wind Incantation 1!” he yelled. The wind bubble began to grow rapidly, and just as it was about to hit Ned’s torso -

“WIND INCANTATION 10!”

The diagram appeared above alarmingly quick. It hummed for only a second as strong gusts of wind hurled out, slamming directly into both fighters. The blast was stronger than any incantation cast that night. It cut into their flesh and levelled the arena around them, with the stage beginning to crumble.

Despite his best efforts, Jonah found himself powerless against the relentless force. Gritting his teeth and falling to his stomach, he felt his incantation subside, and his grip on the sword loosen. In a matter of moments, his vision wavered as he gave up his resistance completely.

Ned, on the other hand, stood his ground throughout the whole ordeal. His clothes were tattered and his armour ruined, but he refused to yield. By the time the incantation blast was finished, he stood, supported by his rapier, swaying side to side. Upon seeing this, the crowd erupted into cheers and praise.

 But the battle wasn’t over. Rurah and that Vargas are still unaccounted for within the divine barrier. That means, Ned thought to himself as he hoisted himself up with the help of the rapier. I have to break that barrier.

He began a slow jog toward it, which quickly became a sprint. “Wind incantation 15!” he yelled. A brisk stream of wind enveloped his blade, extending its tip. With the elongated rapier held out, he pressed on with determination. Then, out of nowhere, his speed rapidly increased. In under two seconds, he smashed through the barrier and lifted most of the smoke in a blitz. Skidding to a stop, his eyes darted across the area quickly, finally locating Rurah… and the Vargas.  

It was an unimaginable scene. Thick vine-like wood was constricting the titan from head to toe, who looked unresponsive. And that Vargas faired no better. His body was completely scorched, and his uniform was tattered. He clung to the giant’s back like a leech as the vines tightened.

“Stay right there,” he wheezed. “Or I’ll kill him.”

“I don’t think so,” Ned declared. “You’ll be eliminated if that happens.”

Lancer’s coal-covered face struggled into a grin. “I don’t care. We’ve probably already failed our mission with you guys making it this far.”
“Then what’s the point!?” Ned questioned. “Just forfeit and leave us be.”

“It’s revenge now,” he answered. “For how you hurt my sister.”

“Fuck off,” Ned scowled as he charged in.  

Instantly, Lancer’s grip on Rurah tightened as more wood-like vines sprouted from his back and toward the sky. They charged toward Ned, who nimbly ducked and dodged out of their path. This continued for around seven minutes, with Ned beginning to slow as he felt his legs tremble. He hadn’t closed down the distance at all.

“It doesn’t seem like you can continue,” Lancer jeered with a grin. “Why don’t you forfeit? I don’t want to fight you for an excessive period again.”

“Again?” Ned questioned. “So, it was you during the first exam. You were the one who knocked out Hitto and got away with Crystal. Is she your sister?”

“Look at you pointing out the obvious!” he laughed before turning immediately serious with a piercing gaze. “Now forfeit.”

Ned simply charged in again with a slow and heavy stride. He hadn’t enough mana to chant an incantation or use his divine art. All he had left was his hope and determination to move on to the next round. Surprisingly, Lancers ‘vine-wood’ stayed still as he entered his opponent's range, locking eye contact with him.

Then everything turned black, with the crowd's cheers replaced by deafening silence. Ned immediately scraped to a halt as he looked around throughout the nothingness. Both Rurah and that Vargas were gone – everything was gone.

“… Ned,” he heard an eerily familiar yet distant voice call. “Where is it?”

His face went pale, and sweat began to trickle down his forehead as he slumped to his knees. Then, his eyes widened as he struggled to open his trembling lips.

“Where is it?”

“Where is it, Ned?”

“Don’t hide it from me now,” it commanded. “You know I need it.”

He fell to his side with his eyes still bulging from their sockets as the voice continued to barrage him with words. At this point, all he heard was an inaudible noise that sounded too similar to that person. And he couldn’t bear it.

“Shit,” Lancer frowned with a shocked expression as Ned slammed into the ground. “I wanted him to say that they’ll forfeit, but he fainted before then. Just great.”

His eyes then fell on Dr. Scale, who stood by the podium. The test administrator watched on with an amused expression, much to his annoyance.

So, he won’t end the match? He glared. Even though this Rurah guy looks unconscious? Isn’t this blatant corruption right before my eyes!? In that case…

He bit down on his lips as pulsating veins appeared on his neck. With effort, he tightened his hold on the titan even more than he had done before. The crowd watched on as the struggle ensued, with Lancer practically yelling and bursting his neck to constrict even further. Eventually, he stopped with a huff, letting out a maniacal cough.

Fuck this, he gritted. I cant exert enough strength thanks to that advanced Incantation he used. What should I do?

He felt an intense grip squeeze his right arm, prompting a cry of pain. The agony was quickly becoming unbearable – forcing him to release his hold on Rurah as he attempted to yank his arm out. He struggled. Pulling and Pulling, but the grip would not subside. At this point, his arm suffered from both the continuous sandpaper-like friction and the earlier onslaught of the incantation blast.  

“What? You don’t like it?” he heard the giant bellow, eyes filled with discontent. “But I’ve been putting up with it for how long!?”

Lancer then tried to use his opponent’s broad back to force himself off, but it wasn’t working. “How?” he asked. “How are you fine even after facing my fear manipulation and wood incantation? I had you completely wrapped up!”

“No,” the giant responded as he clenched his fist even more. “You didn’t. I broke out of your ‘fear manipulation’ easily with my mental strength, and your wood incantation, while powerful, loosened completely when Ned arrived.”

“What?”

“That’s right,” he continued. “You thought you were tightening your grip, but in reality, it was staying the same. You were too consumed by your new opponent. You need to work on that.”

“B-But still,” he stammered. “Before that! What enhancement or divine art did you use to resist my grip?”

“None,” the titan sighed. “After you were struck by my incantation, it was already game over for you. I just wanted Ned to come and deliver the final blow, but it looks like that won’t be happening.”

“N-No way… I can’t believe this.”

“I’ll admit,” the titan smiled. “You are strong. Far stronger than Ned, but nowhere near my level. Keep working on yourself, and never jump to conclusions during a fight. It’s a recipe for disaster.”

“With all that said now,” he continued. “Please forfeit.”

“What?”

“You heard me.”

“I-I forfeit.”

0