27. Roommates/Purpose
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the announcements from the supervisors, all the students received a notification with their room number. 

“Room number B22. Seems like everyone will be sharing a room with two other students. Wondering who my roommates are going to be.” 

Walking down the hall with a bunch of other students looking for their room, Ken stood in front of the door to his new living space. 

“Wonder if I will be staying with anyone from my dorm.” 

Entering the room, Ken is met with a student lounging on the couch watching TV with his leg resting on the table. “Wow! Now this is pure comedy!” He guffawed.

“Yo, I'm Ken Gran—” 

“—Woah! You’re Ken Granfold!” The student stood up from the coach walking up to him.

“Yup, that's me.” 

He was at least 3 inches taller than Ken. His midnight black hair was long and spikey, contrasting with his golden skin complexion.

He stood in front of Ken, invading his personal space, leaning down to meet him at eye level with his carmine red-colored eyes. He carried a smug smirk, his face only a few inches away from Ken’s. 

“I'm a big fan of yours, Ken Granfold.”

“Really?” 

“Yeah, you're a man of action just like me. During the Welcoming Assembly, when you released your mana, it got me excited. Ever since then, I've been looking forward to meeting you.” 

“I'm glad to hear that. I hope we can get along.” Ken kept his cool, despite his roommate being so close to him. 

“My name is Eldrin Valleth.” Finally, Eldrin took a step back, giving back Ken’s personal space. He held out his hand for Ken to shake it. “Here is to a new friendship.” 

“It's nice to meet you, Eldrin.” 

Ken reached out to shake his hand reciprocating the gesture. Instead of a friendly handshake, Eldrin tightened his grip around Ken’s hand, making sure he couldn't back out. Before Ken could say a word, a heavy pressure fell upon him. It was as if gravity was trying to crush him. 

This was Eldrin’s mana release. His attempt to intimidate his new roommate. Keeping eye contact with Eldrin, a toothy grin appeared on Ken’s face as he once again reciprocated the gesture with his own mana release. 

The two boys were silent, no words needed to be said, and their glare sparked an unspoken rivalry. 

While those two greeted each other with their mana release, a light blue Oni carrying two katanas on his left waist side walked out from his bedroom, confronting the two boys–his roommates. “Can you two second-rate mages give it a rest? If you want to hold hands that's fine, but do it in silence!”

Letting go of Ken's hand, Eldrin faced the blue Oni. “Who the fuck are you calling second-rate!?” 

“Who else do you think, golden boy?” 

“That Oni must be my other roommate.” 

“Call me ‘second rate’ again and I'll kill you.” 

“Don’t be ridiculous. A second rate–” Cutting off the Oni, Eldrin launched a ball of fire at him, but his spell was quickly dispatched before it could reach its target. 

“That quick draw was so fast… I barely saw him draw and re-sheath his katana.” Ken observed.

“You’d be wise not to attack me again if you value your life.” 

“I don't like talking, so let's settle this with our magic!”

Eldrin changed his stance, getting ready to pounce at his opponent at the slightest opening. The Oni kept his hand on the handle of his blade, also waiting for an opening to strike. The killing intent that came from their silence was deafening. Eldrin carried a wild smug while the Oni kept a stern look–they were opposites but also the same. 

“Okay Ken, quickly do something. It would be a pain to spend five days with two people who can't get along.” 

Quickly standing between the two, Ken raised both his hands trying to stop them from continuing any further. Looking towards the Oni, Ken introduced himself, “Hey, I'm Ken Granfold, I'll be your new roommate for this camp. It's nice to meet you.” 

“Ken, don't think I won't strike you down to reach that blue freak!” Eldrin threatened. 

“Keep running your mouth shit stain, and I'll cut your tongue out!” the Oni rebuked. 

Standing his ground, Ken continued to try and cut the tension between his two roommates. “It's against the rules to fight in here, let's not break that rule on the first day.” Turning his attention to the Oni once more, he asked, “Hey, since I introduced myself, what's your name?”

The Oni stayed silent, eyeing Ken out, but after a few seconds, he finally decided to speak. “Tatsuo Sōryū…” Taking his hands off the hilt of his Katana, Tatsuo walked out of the room. 

Letting his guard down, Eldrin jumped onto Ken, putting his arm around his shoulders. “Wow Ken, great mediator skills!” 

“Ah, thank you…” 

Eldrin’s playful smile quickly changed to a serious look. “You know Ken, he didn't just call me a ‘Second Rate Mage’, he was also talking to you, and you did nothing about it.” 

“Yeah, well, I saw no reason to escalate the situation.” 

“I really hope you're not this much of a pushover in a real fight, mediator.” Eldrin switched back to his playful expression and backed off from Ken. “Don't disappoint me Ken Granfold.” 

With those words, Eldrin left the room, leaving Ken alone. Letting out a deep sigh, Ken let himself fall backward onto the couch. 

“That didn't go how I expected it to…”

*Bing* 

[Next task will commence in 1 hour] 

“I should probably get something to eat before then.” 

The cafeteria was an all-you-can-eat buffet, buzzing with students. Making himself a plate, Ken looked around for any familiar faces. He couldn't find anyone he knew, but he did spot Nero Jaq’war, a cat Beastman from Dorm 44 sitting alone.

“Hey, mind if I join you?” Ken asked. 

“Ken Granfold, of course, take a seat.”

With the thumbs up, Ken took a seat. "We've been living in the same dorm for about a month now, and you’re still a mystery to me.”

“That's because you never bothered to ask.” 

“That's fair. So, tell me what kind of Magic do you use?"

“We might be Roommates, but this is the Ranking Exams. If I gave out such information, especially to someone as powerful as you, I’d lose my element of surprise if we were to ever cross paths.” 

“Hmmm… that's right, and I’d hate to take part in a boring battle.” 

“Ken, you made it clear to the whole academy that you’d be taking the number 1 spot, but why do you want the number 1 spot?” 

This sudden question strangely made Ken draw a blank. “Why do I want to become number 1? Hmmmm… I guess I don't really have any real reason. Graduating as No.1 just sounded fun.” 

“Let me ask you another question. What are your plans for after you graduate?” 

“I haven't really thought that far to be honest… probably explore the world.” 

“Here is an easier question. What's your purpose for coming to this Academy?” 

“I came here to gain knowledge and make friends.” 

“Those are noble reasons, but you don't need to become number 1 to achieve knowledge and friends. Someone with your personality can easily make friends, and the Academy library is full of knowledge from all around the world.” 

“That's true, but I'm still not seeing the point you’re trying to make.” 

“My point is, you don't fight with any real purpose.” 

“So?” 

“There is no doubt that you’re a powerful mage, but if you ever come across someone who is as powerful and has purpose behind his magic, you will lose.” 

“...” 

“You won't be able to reach No.1 until you find a reason for why you want to become number 1. Until you cast your spells with purpose.” 

“A reason to be number 1? Casting spells with a purpose?” I never thought of such a question…” 

“Most don't. That's why most never even see the No.1 pedestal.” 

“Thank You, Nero. I'll keep your words in mind.”

1