19. The Assembly
44 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“My last class for the day is Forgers Enchantment, but this is in 30 minutes. I should go get something to eat in the meantime.” Ken said, looking at the Classroom app on his phone.

While walking through an empty corridor, Ken's attention was quickly redirected, once he sensed a strong sauce of magic nearby. 

Being the curious person he is, Ken decided to check it out. He entered the room where the magic source was coming from. Inside was Claire Ullastrea Vaylinmoor. The strange girl who claimed to know Ken. The strange girl who claimed to have made a childhood promise to him. 

Claire was trapped inside a magic barrier that took the shape of a pentagon. Surrounding the barrier was an orange magic circle that had strange markings written on it.

"I know you. You're the weird lady who said she knew me. I met you at Cardino Port." Ken said, walking up to the barrier. 

Seeing Ken’s face again brought a cold gaze to Claire's face. “Oh, it's you…”

“You’re still not angry that I don't know who you are, are you?”

“After all these years, I finally see you again… and not only did you forget our promise, but… you forgot Me…” Her voice filled with disappointment.

“Okay then, since you claim to know me, tell me what you know?” 

Letting out a sigh of annoyance, she reluctantly answered. “Your favorite food is whatever Grandma Edna cooks. You have a scar on the left side of your rib cage. You were raised by Grandpa August on Zen Island. Your biggest fear is—” 

Before Claire could go on, Ken quickly interrupted her. “Alright, alright! That's enough!”

“Did that jog your stupid memories?”

“So you really do know me?… but, unfortunately, it didn't.” 

“You’re useless.” 

“I'm trying here.” 

“You were always an idiot, but now you're a dumbass as well!” 

“So harsh.”

“Anyways, I saw your little duel yesterday, that was quite the performance you put on,” Claire said, changing the subject.

“You were there?” 

“No, but every fight that takes place in the Arena is always broadcasted around the Academy where students can watch from their dorms.” 

“Oh, okay. Well, I wouldn't call it a performance. I barely did much.” 

“Tell me, are you still adamant on becoming number 1?” 

“Yes, and I won't settle for any less.” 

“I see. Well, to do that, you first need to gain a seat in The Assembly.” 

The Assembly?” 

“The Assembly is a group of 10 students. They rank the highest in the entire academy. Headmaster Zelfora is the face of this Academy, but the Assembly are the ones who truly run it. When they come together, not even professors can stop them. To be in the Assembly is to be standing in front of the gate that leads you to graduating as number 1.” Claire explained.

“So, I just have to find an Assembly member and beat them in a ranked match?”

“As you are now, you have no chance of reaching them. You're nobody, and The Assembly doesn't waste their time with nobodies.” 

“Hmmm….” 

“But, I do know a way for you to gain their attention.” 

“I'm listening.” 

Claire pulled out her Student Cell and opened the Rank app before clicking on the Academy Ranking tab. Showing her phone screen to Ken, she continued to say, “Rankings from 1 to 10 are members of The Assembly.”

“But, Rank 10 is empty,” said Ken.

“That's because Rank 10 is reserved for a certain first year. The reason their name isn't there yet is because first years don't receive their rankings until after the Ranking Exams.” 

“So if I can beat this person during the Ranking Exams, I'll gain a seat at the Assembly. Which’ll give me a chance to take the number one seat in The Assembly.” 

“That’s correct. But be warned, this first year is a powerful individual, their magic dwarfs every other first year. They are also said to be an awesome mage.” 

“I'm sure all that is just exaggeration, I'll find this person and take them out during the Survival Exam,” Ken replied.

With a smug look, Claire replied, “I wouldn't take them so lightly.” 

Shrugging his shoulders, Ken said “Meh, I'm not worried. But, after calling me Stupid, useless, a loser, an idiot, and a dumbass, I didn't think you would be so kind as to help me out like this… you're secretly a kind person aren't you?” 

“I am a kind person, I just don't like you. The only reason I said anything, is because I have a promise to keep, apart from that, I still believe you’re stupid, useless, a loser, an idiot, and a dumbass.” Claire reinstated as she crossed her arm. 

“So harsh. This promise you keep bringing up, what is it?” 

“I can't tell you.” 

“Huh? Why not? You said it was a promise made between the two of us, so I think I have the right to know.” 

“You forgot about me and our promise, so you can figure it out on your own.” Claire was not letting up. 

“Hmmm…” Ken could see, he was never going to get an answer out of her, so he focused on the elephant in the room. “Anyways, what are you doing in that barrier?” 

“....Since it's taking Emilia long to get back. I need you to go get me a dragon codex from the library!" Claire demanded.

“Maybe try asking nicely.” 

“An idiot like you doesn't deserve my kindness.” 

"Hey, I'm not the one trapped in a barrier." Ken scoffed.

"Sh-shut up!... I put myself in here idiot.”

"That's even worse. You trapped yourself and can't get out? That's pretty embarrassing." Ken mischievously chuckled. 

"N-No it's not as it sounds… wait, I don't have to explain myself to the likes of you." Claire rebuked.

Just then a girl with short dark blue hair and round glasses, rushed into the room, "I'm sorry Claire, but somehow all the dragon codex have been borrowed!"

"Ryka, you bastard!" Claire mumbled to herself in frustration. "And this damn barrier takes 48 hours to disappear on its own. Emilia, please go get Ryka for me." Claire politely asked.

"I'm sorry, but Ryka is not at the Academy. He hasn't returned from Dragonhiem yet." Emilia replied.

"Dragonhiem?1Dragonhiem is the realm of Dragons, it's where all Dragons come from. That's where Volterra is from. This Ryka person must be a Dragonian. 2Dragonians are the native humanoid race of Dragonhiem.

“I can decipher it.” Ken chipped in, offering his help.

“You can read Drak’ov?3 Drak'ov is the Language of Dragons. Emilia questioned.

“I learned it while training with a friend,” Ken replied, referring to Volterra.

Ken, kneeled in front of the barrier, and the tip of his right index finger began to glow blue. With it, he started rewriting the bindings on the barrier. It wasn't hard for him to decipher, but it was tricky since it was all written backward and upside down, within 20 seconds he stood back up.

"There, done deciphering it, well, almost. There are still 7 characters left," said Ken.

"Huh? What are you waiting for? finish it off." Claire demanded once again.

"Just say please and I'll finish it off."

"What!? No, never!" Claire replied.

“Don’t get cocky!” Emilia hissed. 

"Well suit yourself, but, a word of warning. If you try to step out, you will seriously injure yourself." Ken said with a shrug of his shoulders.

Claire greeted her teeth together and mustered up all her power, abandoning her pride just for a second. "Fine… p-please." Claire softly said.

With a big grin, Ken replied, "What was that? I didn't quite hear you?"

"I said Please!!" Claire shouted.

"Heard you the first time, just wanted to milk it." Ken chuckled with a feeling of victory.

At this point, Claire's intent to kill Ken was almost visible.

"Okay, now finish it," Said, Emilia.

Standing by the door, Ken said, “If you had been kind from the start, then you would have been out of there long ago.” With a wave of his hand, the barrier caging, Claire disappeared. “See you two around.” With that, Ken took his leave.

“First he doesn't remember me or our promise, and now he tricks me like this! I'll show him who he's messing with!”   

1