21. Spring Kata
46 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"So this is Hanako's summoning?" Despite the chaos that was unfolding, Ken was still amazed at the giant wolf that stood before him.

"H-Hey, Tempest," Hanako called out trying her best not to make direct eye contact with her summon. She was nervous. 

"Oh, it's crybaby Hanako, what do you want!" Tempest growled.

"I want you to settle down… a-and… listen to me…" her voice shaky from fear.

"Are you telling me what to do, cry baby!?" Tempest's voice filled with intensity.

The beast let out a loud howl, which brought forth another wild tornado. Stronger than the first tornado, destroying what was left of the clubhouse.

With things getting out of hand, Ken quickly grabbed both Hanako and Finn, before dashing away from the clubhouse, putting a few meters between them and Tempest.

The tornado vanished, and the club was left in an unrecognizable state. Nearby students backed away to safety. Tempest walked out from what used to be the Companions Clubhouse, standing in front of Hanako and the others.

"...Tempest looks vicious, but I sense no killing intent from him, strange. Maybe he's just tryna scare everyone? But why?..." Ken thought to himself.

"You two stay here. Finn, give me the banishing tag." Ken said. 

"This is a level 2 banishing tag, it won't do anything to that beast!" said Finn.

"Doesn't matter, I'll figure something out," Ken replied before taking the tag off of Finn.

Before Ken could make a move, a group of 6 students wearing all-black uniforms appeared in the surrounding area. Five of the black uniform students then performed a combined spell.

“Binding Chains!” 

From the ground underneath Tempest, several giant mana chains, wrapped around the beast restricting him on the spot. Tempest tried his best to break out, but it was futile. The sixth student–a dark elf– placed both her hands together into a fist, generating a yellow prism to cage Tempest.

"Reverse Summoning: Banish!” 

The prism shone brightly before shattering into glass pieces, and with it, Tempest vanished. With the immediate danger gone, everyone lowered their guard, happy to see the Disciplinary Squad on the scene. 

"Who are they?” Ken asked. 

“Oh no, that's Reina. She is the third in command of the Disciplinary Squad.” Finn answered. 

Walking up to Ken, Reina asked, "You! Are you the cause of all this!?" 

"umm sort of, I guess?" Ken replied.

"N-No actually, I s-summoned the wolf but lost control of i-it," Hanako chipped in taking responsibility.

"You summoned that beast?" Reina asked.

"I'm sorry, h-he doesn't listen to me... it's my fault. I'll t-take responsibility…"

"Reina, no one was injured at all, not even a scratch, and the only building that was damaged was the Companion’s Clubhouse." one of the Disciplinary Squad members reported.

"That makes sense, there was no killing intent coming from the beast. It's great no one was injured, but you did destroy a whole club," Reina said looking at the ruins of Companions.

Finally snapping out of the horror of his Clubhouse being in ruins, Finn said, "No need to worry, it was my club."

"You’re Finn Crust. Your club is already at risk of being shut down, am I correct?" Reina asked.

"Yes it is, I was planning to shut down early anyway, so I won't be pressing any charges on them," Finn replied.

"We won't let you give up that easily," Ken said, putting his hand on Finn's right shoulder.

"Yes. I agree, we will h-help you rebuild." Hanako added.

“Since no collateral damage was caused outside your clubhouse, the three of you will only be left with a warning. I hope you have enough points—” 

Cutting off Reina, a cat the size of an elephant pounced out from the ruins of the clubhouse. It had black spots splattered all over its light green fur, its canines protruding down from its jaw. Letting out a ferocious roar, the giant feline ran off into the surrounding woods of the academy.

“Shit, one of the beast scrolls must have had its seal broken by all the chaos!” Finn rushed off into the ruins of his clubhouse, using a basic lifting spell to clear out rubble until he found a collapsed bookshelf that held many scrolls. “Oh, good. Only one Beast Scroll had its seal broken.”

"That's also your mess to clean up.” Within a blink, Reina and her group vanished the same way they appeared.

“Their all-black uniforms looked so cool!” Ken muttered to himself. Walking up to Finn, Ken asked, “That's so many scrolls.” 

"Yes it is, and one of them opened because of that damn wolf." 

"I'm r-really sorry… Finn." 

"Don't worry Finn, Hanako and I will capture the one that escaped. It'll be our first step in rebuilding your clubhouse!" Ken said with a reassuring grin.

Letting out a deep sigh, Finn dug through the rubble once more. Grabbing a scroll without a seal. "This right here is an empty beast scroll. Find the Lukoon, and seal it in this scroll.”

Grabbing the scroll from Finn, Ken said, "That sounds easy enough.”

"W-what will you do now…?" Hanako asked.

"Well somebody is going to have to pay for this mess. I'm going to the Academy Office to fill out the necessary files."

“Well, see you in a bit.” 

With that, Finn headed to the Academy Office, while Hanako and Ken wandered around parts of the Academy woods looking for the beast that escaped.

"I feel really terrible… this is all my f-fault.” 

"Don't blame yourself. You did warn us, so Finn and I are also to blame." Ken said, trying to make his friend feel better. "If you don't mind me asking, what's the story between you and Tempest?"

"....Tempest might seem to be rough and harsh…. B-But, the only reason he acts that way is to try and toughen me up… because as a child I couldn't stand up for m-myself… he would never deliberately h-hurt me or any of my friends on purpose.

“I see. So that's why I didn't sense any killing intent from him.”

“W-When I feel lost or lonely he’s always there to keep me company. That's why I'm never a-angry with him because I know he's only looking out for m-me." Hanako explained with a soft smile.

"Hmmm I see, he sounds really cool. He's like… a guardian," said Ken.

Ken's view of Tempest brought a smile to Hanako’s face. Nodding her head, she said, “Yeah, I a-agree…” 

Before Ken could say anything, the Lukoon they had come looking for crawled out from the trees. The feline stood in front of them. Growling, and baring its fangs, with its claws protracted out of its paws. There was nothing but killing intent pouring out of it.

“Woah… it looks so cool up close! I've always wanted a Lukoon as a pet!” Ken marveled, looking at the man-eating beast standing before him. "Get ready Hanako."

Ken turned to Hanako, but she had vanished. “What the?”

He quickly turned back to the beast in front of him, who was ready to jump at him. But before it could follow through with its strike, Hanako appeared a few feet in the air, above the Lukoon. Her hand was firmly placed on the handle of her Bokken—Wooden Katana. 

“Spring Kata: Gentle Wind Pillar!” 

Before the beastly feline realized the situation, Hanako drew her wooden blade, bringing it down with great force. The tip of her bokken did not reach its target, instead, it released a heavy and ferocious pillar of wind slamming the beast into the ground with a heavy impact. The excess gust from Hanako’s spell caused the nearby leaves to dance around the defeated creature.

This was the first time Ken had witnessed Hanako in action, and he was left awestruck. “Awesome.” 

1