Prologue
81 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue  - Meltdown

 

 0.5

A glowing red orb sits at the expanse of darkness, it remained idle, deeply fixed in its place. 

It remained inactive until there was a thought

"Where am i?"

A soft glow extends outward from the sphere, a line of thoughts were active before the glow dissipated, the orb loses it’s color, dying out.

 

 

I came to be in an unfamiliar place, it felt like standing on an empty blank canvas. I couldn’t recall how i ended up being here, but that only honed my curiosity

My consciousness died out before i could even fathom anything.

I looked around me, my body feeling limp, yet i feel.. formless? Do i even have a body at this point? 

I stood up from my 'feet', looking into the space, devoid of light. A shimmer of light was evident as i looked up ahead, the darkness was obstructed by small, glowing points.

…Stars, countless white dots came into my view as i looked over in awe, reminding me of the night sky. The dots were grouped up, rather than filling the rest of the sky, they were gathered up in a weird way, as if they were trying to form a circle. It was a beautiful sight.

a strange feeling of unease me as i stare blankly at them. 

Murmurs emanate in my head, it reaves toward my thoughts as i could feel a connection.

 

I looked ahead the local group of stars, there was something peaking through it, a star was making it’s appearance in the middle, the largest of the group.

 

"!" The star begins swelling its size, too bright. I could feel a stare burrowing itself into me, It gave me chills.

The murmurs seemingly have disappeared, what is going on? The connection i felt earlier had intensified. I had no idea what was happening. 

 

My head feels so fuzzy… It feels like i’m dreaming right now. I guess i am dreaming. 

In a sudden, my thoughts are intercepted as i could feel my vision being clouded.

 

...

My thoughts begin to fade as my consciousness wakes up.

I could vaguely remember a bit, the moment before. I was being moved in some sort of facility accompanied by other slaves. My name is merla.

 

 

I woke up laying in a cage, surrounded by others. We were taken into a basement, each of us went to some sort of inspection, i went up to the masked person and each of us went into two different halls, where were we going? Why is this happening to me? I’m scared,  my body couldn’t move.

I was being dragged to some sort of gray room, green light came to view each step we took, going down the stairs there was a large room, the center of it, a vibrant dark green crystal, came with rays of light coming out of it, it was colossal.

There, i was dumped in some room, my legs felt no strength with them, my body felt the touch of the cold metal as i hugged it helplessly.

I could hear shouts, Thud. Something just hit the floor with such heavy weight. ..

 …

I could hear ambient noises, something was going on outside, liquid was dripping somewhere.

The room was bathed in a sickly red light coming from a single fixture. It remained empty with me in it.

I’ve been stuck here for hours, there was clearly nothing i could do, my gaze was fixed at the light, i was starting hate it.

clomp, clomp

 

The sounds of footsteps come to my ears, then the rattling of bones, abruptly fading away.

How long am i gonna be here? I could hear a door slide open, is there a room next to me? the door slid open and i could hear someone approach me

 

My thigh was injected with some sort of substance. it coated my muscles before seeping into my fibres, i felt a change "…?" I could move my body!, i felt the substance faintly enter my muscles as i stood up, only to be dragged away again. There was a masked guy standing next to me, the one who cuffed my hands. 

These people looked different to the soldiers who captured us. rather they had full body armor, the texture was akin to kevlar, i used to do leather working before i was brought here so i’m sure i wasn’t mistaken?

I was slowly, brought outside to a hallway filled with unknown equipment, syringes, placards, etc. I’m guessing i’m in some sort of laboratory? I heard distant footsteps, as i looked behind, there were slaves following me while i was in the lead. 

Just what is going on..? I didn’t seem to recognize any of them, I wasn’t met with a few of the slaves i was with rather these kids were unfamiliar, we were lined up for something, it seems.

 

We noticed a different group walking past us, some of them were even disfigured, their faces were past recognition and we even noticed they had some sort of attachment to them, one of them in particular had fangs instead of lips, reminding me of a spider’s.. Yuck, what is that smell?! I was met with a purely disgusting odor, smells like rotten eggs coming from one of the groups, i could tell that masked guy was not happy with it, as he was pushing the boy, ugh.. that smell!

It lingered on my nose, while we were walking i noticed one of us started puking, it couldn’t be helped for them.. Although that didn’t stop us from walking forward, we were brought to some sort of waiting line, there were several doors, there were many groups of people lined up infront, most of them were young, at several rows.

I could hear muttering from the room, finally smell was gone! it was nowhere in my nose, i don’t know where they’re bringing me to, but i wasn’t in a position where i could ask questions. I felt like trying to find out would just be my death, so was breaking the line.  

Shortly after i entered the room, i was put in some sort of large capsule, which i was placed in. My limbs were restrained by a tight knot, two needle were piercing behind me, i was injected with some sort of tube of liquid.

The searing liquid enters my veins, from two points on my back, not a second after that i was welcomed by an overwhelming torrent, it coursed through my chest, i could feel it reaching my neck, limbs. It was unpleasant.

Every nerve in my body was subjected to displeasure  "AAAAAAGHGH!!!!" I screamed out from the pain, i was left scrambling over the floor, pulling out my hair, it hurts.. I don’t wanna be here anymore! I couldn’t hear anything out, i was left sobbing as the needle finally retracted itself, it hurts.. That didn’t do anything to dissipate the pain itself.

I was left crutching to myself, i kept tugging on my hair, the pain was unbearable, i kept screaming, it wasn’t long before my voice died down from all the screaming, i accidentally ripped some of my hair and left my scalp open to where i was pulling it.


It didn’t take long before i saw the other kids, we were lined up again. Some of them had new visible proportions while the rest had minor distinct changes, i noticed one of them had black spots growing out their skin, it was visibly growing from his elbow, spread out like a crack towards their forearm. Another one of them had full black eyes, fur was growing from their chin, and i could see saliva dripping by their mouths. She looked entirely bestial, looking akin, similar to a beastkin. Each of them had some sort of alien characteristic. It seems each of us

I was gonna find out what would happen to me as i was inflicted, uugh.. it still hurts! We went back through the same path, we went past some of the masked people and new groups of children who looked normal unlike the group we’d met, just what does this place want from us.. ?

We were brought back to our rooms, the pain remained. It was subtle before i was overwhelmed by it again, i twitched my body as i felt my back was being crippled by a hundred needles.

Another.. thing i felt, something was growing behind my back

I felt a creeping sensation, they felt like limbs attached to me but at an unusual area, it felt like something was growing from my back. I scrunched my face, i couldn’t do anything about it.

it grew in rapid succession, it felt like i was regenerating. No, developing something new, are they wings or some sort..?

It was as if something was gnawing at my back and it was unbearably itchy, but i could barely even move, so itchy..

 

I was left staring blankly with staring at the wall, my cheeks were kissing the cold floor.

 

Time passed and i could move by an inch, i appear to have grown wings? I could feel the attachment, movement of feathers as i grasped the feeling.

 

As was worrying about my sustenance earlier, atleast i’m being 'fed' once in a while.

 

Well actually not really, they just inject the same stuff into me each time. I could feel my energy replenished atleast, i couldn’t say the same about my appetite, i was barely sated.

 

My newly limbs were starting to develop. Yeah, i’ve grown wings. Just trying to twitch them to move an inch was wearing me out. It felt sensitive to the point even a single graze would  send that feeling all over my back, it was not nice.

 

Yet it felt like a bit of progress, just maybe.. Could i grow out? I was motivated to the development of these wings, i’d wondered if i could fly with these one day.

 

I was determined to the progress, so as each day would come by, i would try to feel my wings, get used to it acting as a normal limb of my own.

 

Reminding myself not to rush as not to overdo myself, i was far from being able to fly, the time i’d try to do so.

 

Well.. i wouldn’t wanna break my nose again… i’d broken my nose when i tried to jump, forcibly making my wings to the air. i tried doing all sorts of stunts, maybe i wasn’t doing it right? I wonder if imitating a bird should work. I even went all fours, and did all sorts of poses, it didn’t work.

I tried diving, i maintained not even a second in the air as i fell facefront to the ground. Blood gushed out of my nostrils as i winced. G-guh.. a-atleast  the pain was bearable compared from that time… ! I covered my face as i’d embarassingly dislocated my nose, the floor was really hard.

I wasn’t gonna try it again! Definitely not something i wanna try again though, i’d like to keep it in mind. It was deliberately stupid to try it in the first place, i should just wait it out. Slow wins the race i guess… why was i even rushing in the first place?

 

As a result of the sustenance i’d been taking in, my wings were starting to grow bigger. It’s only been a day but i’m starting to feel something, compared to the usual size, unlike from when i’d first felt them, it was massively larger compared to the former. I’m glad to see some growth, i couldn’t bring myself to be called weak again.

 

It was only a matter of time before i was a big bird! I’ll make sure to beat up guys who think they can go mocking me, hmf. But i’m rather more worried on something else, was i ever gonna get out of here? 

My head was seeping with these questions, but i went over the fact. I shouldn’t focus on things i don’t have power over. It wouldn’t do me any good, for now i needed to get stronger! 

 

It was good to be determined, but in these kind of situations i had to be real, i can’t really do much when i’m trapped in here.

This place was far from being a safe place, and i wouldn’t be sure what they’re keeping me here for, likely just as a sort of Experiment Subject. I should be grateful for the fact i’m still living, i couldn’t tell if i was one of the lucky ones or not, but i’m still breathing, i was alive.

 

 

It’s been a few days since i was brought to this sort of Laboratory, i was able to gather up my strength until i was fully capable of running without issue, although all was useless when i couldn’t even open this seemingly unbreakable door.

 

Not to mention, my wings had some honorable amount of growth to it, i could even touch it now! It’s still uncomfortable when it’s rubbing against something, but i got used to having it felt by my hands, so fluffy…

 

And it took a while, but i was now capable of slightly gliding with them. I wasn’t sure if this was good progress but i was confident in it! As i was puffing my chest out.

 

I also briefly noticed, there was a faint reflection coming from below, a small red dot was sticking out of my chest, was this also some sort of mutation? I never noticed anything like this before, til i was puffing my chest out did i ever saw it once.

 I’m sure it’s an effect of the mutation, right? Seems so. The Masked guys, i guess i should call them guards, dragged me out again. We were lined out again, except we were brought to the centre this time. There were rows of children lining up to the same Colossal green crystal.

Children would be distributed to touch it directly.. !!

Squelch.. What the. Did that girl just melt?! Touching the crystal was an apparent deathwish, how was i gonna get out of this?!

I could notice some of the slaves had distraught faces as they closed in the line. Some of them survived without a limb or two. If they were lucky, they’d  had their hands disfigured. There’s no telling of survival. Eh? I could notice my skin was starting to get dry, flaky. Is this the result of that crystal..?

One of the slaves tried running, then came another. Each one of them were afraid, unwilling to the test and they immediately had their necks blown off, a head came flying and it landed to one of the slave’s feet. The group were shaken by what they just witnessed, they definitely wouldn’t try running off.

Was this some sort of trial..? I’m not sure. It didn’t take a while for the line to clear up before me, the person infront of me had their contacting entire arm disfigured, screaming out loud. I was pushed by one of the guards armed with a baton.

I.. i guess i’ll have to try, i brought my hand to the crystal, a foreign energy seeps into my hand, it was an overwhelming torrent, the same feeling from when i’d been brought to that large capsule, as if a liquid was entering my veins, i braced myself for any pain that was coming.

Mngh.. ah… i felt a sizzling burn spread towards my arm, it encased my entire body shortly.. Uuhg… i almost let out a tear just from the pain..

I’m used to this. There’s no way i’m gonna break from it again! The energy dissipates and i could feel my nerves were worn out, aside from that i noticed my hand was just a bit, slightly swollen.

That.. I-it’s fine..? I’m confused, was my hand fine from touching it? Does this mean i pass the test? Panting heavily, i could feel a burden off my shoulders as i let go of the crystal, the guards that were distancing themselves were telling me to come over. 

My shackles were pulled roughly and i was brought to a different area, where.. what? The room consisted of three capsules encasing a red translucent-like liquid, one was empty and i’m guessing i have to enter one of these again. These things are scary…

I was firmed to the capsule, the glass was cased in and liquid started rising from my feet.. i feel sl… eepy.

1.0

I woke up to the constant loud thuds, i was submerged in the red liquid, this strangely feels more like water.

I stared blankly. The room was empty, there were pipes, some sort of mechanical wiring arranged all over, even over the desks, and there were strange typewriters placed infront of a box with lens, it was all interconnected, tubes overlap connected to the capsule themselves, i felt quite energetic, but more importantly collar was gone. I wasn’t sure why i couldn’t move, i was still in the container, i also felt like i was taller, was i aging here?

I was barely able to control much of my body, my wings were coating me, and yes they were h u g e, i could only imagine how big my wingspan would be when i get out of here!

A group of people in white coats enter the room, they seem to be looking at me shocked, Just waking up shook them to this degree.

I could barely hear anything, i felt slight vibrations coming from each footstep they made. They seem to be working on something.

Ooh i felt something just now.. my… Mana? This was mana just now! I could sense a tremendous amount of mana coming from me, i could feel as it’s surroundingg the entire room.

Ugh.. something was breaching my body! They felt like tiny organisms. I don’t like it

「Ignite」

Krrk..

Huh?! Did i just do that? Sparks ruptured around the air as a loud boom sounds itself, the people in white coats were dead. Eh.. i. Did i just do that?

This time i concentrated a large portion of mana, and just like that. The whole room erupted to flames.

「Megiddo Flame」

Sizzle.. 

A large ball of heat encompasses the room, it melted the walls off and everything around it except for ofcourse, me! Somehow immune, i wanted to see more of what i could do, but escaping comes first!

I flapped my newly growed wings proudly, i was free! not to mention i could detect a spark of connection, similar to the dream i had. I glanced over to find a weird looking rod.

It had a hollow interior, was plastered with weird symbols from its’ exterior. I was able to firmly tug it in hand, what’s weirder was i was suddenly able to detail it in my head!

Name: Nuclear Strike Blade, Meltdown.

Wielder: Merla

ATK: 5000

MP: 13000/13000

Durability: 2978/3000

Mana Conductivity: SS-

Skills: Flame Magic lv. Max, Appraisal lv. Max, Greater Flame Magic lv. Max, Metamorphosis (Control Rod),  Self-Recovery SP, Nuclear Magic lv. Max, Wielder Stat Boost (Large), Wielder Recovery (Large), Energy Absorption SP, Tempering SP, Heat Nullification, Decay lv. 4, Lava Magic lv. Max, Divine Flames lv. 3, Skill-Sharing, Divine Sword Release

Control Rod

Seems pretty nice. Fits well, i definitely need some clothes… 

1A.N: she’s been wearing nothing since now aside from the red gem bulging out of her chest, she has absolutely nothing on her right now. (All rights, credit go to the owner of the image!)

Nn… my body was pulsing with energy, an aura of heat emanates from me, my entire surroundings melt off, completely desecrating it to molten lava. An arrow came to my direction but melted before it could even reach near a meter near me, splat.

Hehe.. ! I guess it’s my turn.

「 Surtr 」

A pint of black fire emerged from my palm, it rises to the air before engorging the surroundings with a liquid dark flame, i could hear screams..

Maybe i shouldn’t use this one, i can’t guarantee what would happen to the slaves.

No meggido flame either.. that takes up everything hh…

I’ve never heard of nuclear magic, i wonder what it does? I begin charging up a spell, Nuclear magic level 6 spell..

「 High Tension Blade! 」

An aura-like blade of compressed fixed photons, emerges from my arm, coating the control rod in piercing energy particles that was reaching the ceiling itself. I sliced horizontally through the guards with ease, leaving them cut in half. I closed in on the masked guards, i’m guessing there were atleast 200 of them. Luckily i don’t see any slaves in the path. 

Heh.. I could feel my lips curling up. My spell dissipates as i begin charging up for the next. 

「 Giga Flare! 」

A burst of energy unleashes out of my cannon, a devastating blast accelerates, coating the entire area in intense violent flame. The hall was left burnt, coated in magma, everything in its proximity was burnt and there was no trace of the army of guards left. Only a sizzling heat that ruptured the environment around me. 

Pure destruction.

I feel like i was forgetting something just now.. Oh! I left the burning hallway to fly somewhere else. Found it!

「 Solar Rings  」

Rings of sharp solar energy cleave through the walls containing the slaves, the rooms were left open from its wall, exposing what was inside. There were a majority of slaves coming out of the rooms, they were disfigured, entirely new races that were kept captive all this time.

All of them were confused, some of them seemingly scared of me, should i tell them i’m on their side?

I charge up a ball of mana from my palm, aiming it at the contending wall, fragmente, pieces of debri were sent flying  by the explosion,there a hole was exposed up to the surface.

"I don’t have time, Leave." I spoke in a deep underlying tone, it seems they understood what i said. They looked as if they were running for their lives, maybe i should’ve said more? They seemed quite intimidated, still i’m inexperienced at this okay, totes not shy at all!

I went around the facility, looking for the remaining people captures, killing some guards standing in my way. I kind of feel bad? Weren’t they the one who gave me all this stuff? 

Not that i cared.

「  Hell’s Sun 」

Extending, my fingertips to a open palm, i lifted a brilliant ball of flames, or gases? I kept charging it until it grew to the size of the facility. Then i dropped it.

The facility had been wiped off the land without a trace, oh.. ? I could see massive army approaching from the east. Were they related to this, i’m guessing but i’ll check if they’re enemies or not.

Boom.. A loud explosion sounds as i approach the army, it took only a matter of seconds before i reached the place.

"Halt!, state who you are!”

"Merla." I could give them my name atleast, now what exactly do they want?

I began descending to the armored guy’s face, i’m guessing he was the captain. "I gave you my name, who are you guys?" 

W-woah.. ! I briefly backed away, why are you slashing me all of sudden?! "How rude!" Subconsciously, i let out a killing intent that knocked out the majority of them. The rest were left standing on a knee, while their captain was seemingly fine, no he looks a bit shaken to me doesn’t he?

I should’ve known otherwise, these people are from that accursed raydoss kingdom! I’ll show you no mercy.

「  Surtr 」

A wave of black unending flames flood the vicinity and the soldiers left on the ground were erased by the sea of flames, there.

The soldier’s faces were disgruntled as they struggled, all of them were caught in the flames before the captain did aswell. I was unstoppable right now, but this wasn’t the goal i had in mind.

First i need some clothes. W-wait!, what about that kevlar armor those guards had!

I looked back to the facility i’d been in, only to see it gone

".. NooOoo!!". I’m so fucking .. AHH!! How could i forget…!!!!!


helo author here, this is my first time making a novel so i don’t mind any criticisms you’d like to point out xd

Should there be powerleveling
  • add powerleveling yes Votes: 2 40.0%
  • no Votes: 3 60.0%
Total voters: 5 · This poll was closed on Dec 15, 2023 09:59 AM.
4