Chapter 7
148 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Apologies. I meant to have this published 12 hours ago.

We remained on high alert as the figures approached. Yasashi had tongues of flame leaking out of his mouth and Ali had a ball of water prepared above his head in preparation for a hostile encounter. As the previously dark and blurred figures came into view, Ben first made out a general shape like that of a fighter plane.

Once colors were noticeable, he saw that the first and larger of the two was nearly thrice the size of the other and colored a striking red and white. The second one, half as big, was white with purple patterns. Opaque crystals spot its body and silvery crown-like protrusions formed a circlet on its head.

“Be calm, foreigner. We come in peace with a proposal that might bring you safety and prominence in this life. Your current companions might appreciate it.” The latias spoke to me, though I did not know how. It spoke of things no being of this world should know. I took a fighting stance and opened my mouth to order an attack on them when it spoke once more.

“Don’t take any hasty actions, human. Those you knew as legendaries in your old world were but children learning the ways of the world with a trusted trainer. Those of us fully grown are considered by your benefactors as world gods. The powers we can bring to bear cannot be matched by any of the many similar worlds we govern.”

“Wait, you legendaries are the world gods that approve of me?” I spoke as I made a calming gesture to my pokemon, tension slowly leaving my body.

“We are, and, as I said, I have come to give you a chance. Should you prove yourself up to the young one’s test, I request that you take them as your ward. To protect and train. Should you do so, the people will know you have the support of the legendaries and will think twice of stealing your exotic pokemon, lest they incur our wrath.”

I stood in a daze for a minute, mouth agape. It seemed the emotional suppression regarding everything before this life applied to legendaries, or world gods as they were otherwise referred. Whenever any fear of their reactions to me would pop up, it would be swiftly quashed. All that remained was shock and surprise.

“And what would your test be?” After snapping back to reality, I turned to the smaller legendary and queried. Yasashi, Ali, and Mamoru had picked up on my mood and calmed before I could come to my senses. Hearing my question, they turned to the smaller legendary with questioning expressions.

“Battle. Prove strength. Prove worth.”

“The young ones can speak, but they must learn proficiency. She wants to test your mettle. A one on one duel between her and your strongest. To test your worth as a trainer and prove that you have the skill to raise her properly.”

I pondered for a moment, and, in that time, Yasashi jumped before me and let out a crow of excitement and determination. He was ready and raring to accept this battle. His first real challenge since the start of our adventure.

“Very well. We accept your challenge. Ali, Mamoru. Back up and give us some room. If you could ensure no outside intervention?” I looked at the grown legendary when I asked my question.

“That, I shall do. Prepare to battle, young one. This may be more difficult than you expect.” The large latias gave out a cry and ascended into the air to oversee the trial.

Face to face, a bagon and latias stood, though a few yards separated them. “Begin!” The word resounded through the surrounding after the legendary above spoke them. Immediately, the latias charged forward, a lightly glowing smog emitting from its mouth.

“Dodge and use Ember.” I commanded Yasashi, leaning into the bonus gained from using a move of the same type as as its user. The unusual coloring of our opponent lead me to believe that they were not the traditional dragon and psychic as my knowledge would suggest.

Not knowing to dodge, with this likely being its first fight, the latias let out a cry of pain and outrage when the Ember connected with its flank. The burn it left behind seemed exaggerated, especially given how bulky I knew legendaries to be.

“Continue with Ember on my command Yasashi, let’s show her how we do this.” With a crow of excitement, Yasashi’s jaws glowed with fire once more. He dropped into a low stance, preparing to stay mobile and evade his opponent’s moves.

A cloud of smog, wide but thin, came at my bagon next, so I gave my commands. “Stay still and use your charged Ember to punch through that fog. Send a follow up right after to ensure you hit her.” Yasashi did as I told and both uses of Ember hit our opponent, though the first was reduced below the power of a normal use of the move after breaking the latias’ move.

Startled at the consecutive hits, our competitor released the Smog they had been charging without taking proper time to aim. As the move went wide, I commanded Yasashi to use Ember once more and once more the latias suffered a hit. This time she attempted to dodge and got away with a slightly reduced blow. With anger visible on her face, the young legendary released a powerful Smog in Yasashi’s direction.

“Dodge hard and counter buddy.” With that command, Yasashi released an Ember at the ground near his right foot, just as he pushed off with it to dodge. The blast visibly harmed him, though I knew the damage was reduced both due to it not directly connecting and my pokemon’s natural resistance to fire. Rolling away the momentum, Yasashi came to a stop and released an Ember.

It hit the face of the latias, who stood there in shock at what my companion had done. A cry of rage escaped her mouth at both the damage received and where it was dealt. Her gaze bore through us as a purple cloud began to form around her. It seemed we finally had her interest.

If you catch any mistakes I make, please leave a comment and I will fix them asap. I will credit you down here.

10