Chapter 12 – The Red Dragon
176 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you want to read up to 20 chapters ahead, go to:

https://www.patreon.com/proxymus

----------------------------------------------------

The buildings of Hadano City, once tall and imposing, now lay like broken skeletons against the night skyline. 

The city, once full of life and light, had become a chaotic battlefield. The aura of the Red Dragon filled the air, an overwhelming presence and, at the epicenter of the battle against these monsters, a few heroes came together to face the monstrosity that threatened to devour the city.

Amidst the thunderous roar of the Red Dragon, explosions suddenly echoed, and they weren't the explosions of the fireworks from the festival a kilometer away. They were the explosions of the Quirk of the hero Dynamight, who rose rapidly to hundreds of meters from the ground, a height that few could reach so easily.

"I've never seen a creature as big as this... WHO WAS THE EVIL SCIENTIST WHO LET THIS LAGARTIX LEAVE?" He shouted as he climbed up.

Dynamight was the number three hero in the national hero rankings and in the top ten in the world. Although he had, shall we say, an explosive personality, his physical talent mixed with the perfect use of his Quirk made him frighteningly strong. He had spiky blond hair and wore a mercenary-like outfit, including an explosion storage gauntlet on each arm. However, he wasn't acting alone this time. 

At the same time as the Red Dragon roared, releasing bursts of fire into the sky, Hawks, with his red-feathered wings, kept pace with Dynamight's ascent. 

When Dynamight saw that Hawks was right next to him, he gritted his teeth and increased the level of his consecutive blasts. "I'M NOT GOING TO LET A PENSIONER CATCH UP WITH ME LIKE THAT!" 

Then hero number three climbed even faster. However, that wasn't enough to put too much distance between him and Hawks, who managed to catch up with Dynamight in a flap of his wings.

"Make no mistake, Bakugou, I'm not retired yet!" Hawks said, wearing a smile at the corner of his mouth. 

In the past, Hawks had been the number two hero, just behind Endeavor, but when the new generation began to gain notoriety, things got quieter and he managed to achieve his dream of working only when fundamentally necessary, so he dropped down the rankings.

"And what are you doing here? Isn't your agency in Tokyo?" Hawks continued, questioning Dynamight. "Um... Don't tell me you left there so you wouldn't have to compete with Fumikage."

"WHAT? TALK ABOUT TSUKUYOMI? OF COURSE NOT! YOU KNOW I CAN DEFEAT YOU AT ANY TIME!"

"Eh? Really?" Hawks continued to tease.

Fumikage, or also Tsukuyomi, was Hawks' first and only apprentice, and he reached a level that no one imagined, the rank of number hero, thanks to the control of his powerful Quirk called DarkShadow. It wasn't uncommon to hear that while Deku was the light of the world, Tsukuyomi was the shadows. Their work complemented each other, so that one eased the burden on the other's back even without wanting to.

"Hey, Hawks! Let's focus!"

"That means you have a plan, right?" Hawks flapped his wings once more and walked over to Dynamight.

"Yeah, but I'm not sure it'll work on a creature as big as this, but we need to try something to slow it down until reinforcements arrive."

When they finally arrived high enough to land near the base of the Red Dragon's neck, Dynamight, his hair fluttering in the wind, adjusted his blaster gauntlets, the devices glowing with an effervescent light. Hawks looked down, mentally measuring the distance they were from the ground, and then looked up, seeing the dragon's head still fifty meters away.

"So, Dynamight, what's your big plan?" Hawks asked, looking at his fellow hero with curiosity. 

Dynamight frowned, his eyes narrowing as he looked up. "The plan is simple, too bad the execution isn't always." He pointed at the colossal head of the Red Dragon, which seemed focused solely on destroying the city. "Let's beat this shit's head in until he passes out. It's the only method I can think of to stop something this big."

Hawks took a deep breath. "Hit him on the head, huh? Sounds too simple. We're going to need a smarter approach."

Dynamight knelt down and put a gauntlet to the back of the dragon's head. "I'm more of a 'hit first, ask questions later' kind of guy, you know? If that doesn't work, there are few alternatives left, because even the Best Jeanist couldn't arrest a monster like this."

"Yeah, I know." Hawks smiled with the corner of his mouth once again, only now nervously. "After all, we're talking about a monster that makes anything look small."

"Come on, little red feather, just take this and come with me!" Dynamight said, tossing one of his gauntlets to Hawks. "When you find the opportune moment, pull the trigger on the side, it'll launch an explosion as big as you've ever seen!"

Dynamight didn't give Hawks time to agree or disagree, he unleashed a huge blast and launched himself towards the dragon's head. He didn't need his blast gauntlets to fire successively, he just used them to be able to 'store' blasts and also take some of the pressure off his shoulders created by the huge explosions.

Hawks followed, diving between the clouds and deftly dodging the flames that the Red Dragon threw down. 

They quickly approached the monster's head and Dynamight, driven by his unshakeable confidence, immediately prepared to attack. His body trembled and his blast gauntlets flickered with intensity between the gaps, ready to unleash the torrent of power that he believed would be enough to bring down a threat of this level. 

So when Dynamight finally released the deafening blast, a wave of energy erupted from the gauntlet, creating a glowing sphere that engulfed the Red Dragon's head. The bang echoed through the sky, accompanied by the blinding flash of the explosion.

As the smoke began to dissipate, a feeling of disbelief overtook Dynamight and his mouth instinctively dropped open in shock. Not only was the Red Dragon still standing, but its scales were shining, practically intact and the monster didn't even seem to have felt the explosion, because it continued to ignore them. 

The expression of frustration on Dynamight's face was evident. "That... can't be right." muttered Dynamight to himself, looking at the creature's untouched scales. "How is that possible?"

Of course, it wouldn't be that easy to take down a creature with the potential to wipe out an entire country, it would take a much stronger attack.

12