Still Alive – Part 8
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Monica sat on her bed, her phone in her hands, with the contact of Sam on its screen. She stared into the phone blankly wondering if she should call him or not. A lot had happened in the last few days and just when she thought she was doing fine, luck pulled her leg once again.

Her chest felt heavy, and her mind was chaotic. A mix of emotions flooded her heart, and it slowly overwhelmed her. It was close to midnight and in another ten hours she would be out of here and hopefully the events of this place would be left behind. But it was more than just that. She couldn’t say for sure what hurt more, but the cold eyes of the woman at the brothel left a deep scar in her heart.

She desperately needed to talk to someone and the only person she could turn to was Sam. She thought of several reasons not to call him but at the moment, it is all she wanted.

She tapped on the call button and waited patiently for Sam to pick up. With each subsequent ring, her heart beat faster, until Sam finally picked up.

‘Hello? Mon?’ Sam asked.

‘Hey, were you sleeping?’

‘Kind of. What happened?’

‘I… need to talk to you about something.’

‘Yes. Tell me. Something happened?’

Monica covered her mouth with her palm as she tried to hold back her tears, but they simply burst through. Sam heard the sound of whimper and immediately said, ‘Mon? Are you crying? What happened?’

Monica sniffled and said, ‘I messed up Sam. I messed up big time.’ She told him everything, to the minute detail while Sam listened to it all patiently. As soon as she finished her story, her chest felt incredibly light. It felt as though somebody had taken the heavy burden off her shoulders.

‘Oh Mon…’ Sam began, ‘you are always a lightning rod for troubles aren’t you.’

She snorted and said, ‘I don’t want to be a lightning rod. I wish to just live in peace.’

‘Well… you tried that for a year.’

‘It really didn’t work out, did it?’ Monica said.

‘We all carve a little more in life.’

Monica nodded before saying, ‘you are right Sam.’

The tone of her voice shifted, and Sam caught on quickly, ‘what are you planning to do Mon?’

‘I am done Sam. I am done watching people die around me. All because I cannot choose who I want to be.’

‘Mon, don’t do anything stupid,’ he said.

‘You know I won’t,’ she replied.

Sam fell quiet for a second and asked, ‘so, going to tell me what you are planning?’

‘What I should have done long ago. Just like you said.’

‘So, it is time, huh?’ he said. There seemed to be a light tone of joy in his voice.

‘Not now. Not yet. This time I am going to make sure, I do it right,’ said Monica.

***

Monica’s bus was scheduled to pick her up at ten in a bus depo outside city limits. However, before she left, she found herself making one last stop. The roadside café was fairly busy for Saturday morning. People were walking in and out of the place at regular intervals. She had arrived there a fair bit early for she heard the breakfast was pretty good. She got herself a plate of Dosa (An Indian pancake made from rice flour and ground pulses) stuffed with cooked potato which she cleaned up in under five minutes. Just as took the last bit, someone walked up to her.

‘Hello madam,’ Isha said with a broad smile.

‘Hello there. Aren’t you early?’ Monica replied.

‘Well, you said you would be here for breakfast, so I thought I would join you.’

‘Sit down, please,’ Monica replied.

She quickly hopped over to the chair across the table and took a seat.

‘You want something?’ Monica asked.

‘It’s alright. Looks like you are done.’

‘Not at all. I was going for seconds. You guys are right, this place is great!’ Monica exclaimed.

 

The girls had ordered themselves a full course meal, complete with a cup of chai and coffee. They sat back quietly sipping on their beverage when Isha put down her cup and bent down to get something from her bag. She pulled out a package which she immediately held it out for Monica.

Monica, meanwhile, looked at it with total surprise. ‘What is this?’ she exclaimed.

‘A small gift from us.’

‘I can’t take this. Not after ghosting you guys for a week!’

‘No please. Take it,’ Isha insisted.

‘I can’t. It isn’t right!’ Monica resisted.

‘Please hold it… my hands are hurting,’ Isha said squeezing her face.

Monica held it without a second thought and almost immediately Isha let go. ‘Ha! I knew that would work!’

‘You are sneaky!’ Monica said in sarcastic tone. ‘Is this why you were there yesterday?’

Isha nodded. ‘We had bought it yesterday and we thought of giving it to you as you left. But you disappeared without a trace. I had my scooter, so I thought I would just drive over to your place and give it to you.’

‘Yeah. Sorry about that,’ Monica said. ‘But seriously. How can you expect me to accept this?’

‘We know you have been through a rough week,’ Isha began, ‘you can pay us back by telling me what happened.’

Monica fell silent. She thought for a good few second before asking, ‘do the others know what happened yesterday?’

‘I haven’t told them yet,’ Isha replied.

Monica began to narrate the story she told the police, making sure to leave out the outrageous bits.

‘Oh man…’ Isha responded. ‘You know, even if this is a big city, I still feel scared living here on the outskirts.’

‘Yeah. I get that feeling. No matter where you are, the sense of dread follows.’

‘You know, you are really brave Mon. Even a full-grown man would be disturbed after what happened yesterday. But you don’t appear to be affected at all.’

Monica smiled and said, ‘it is not true. I was just as terrified as you. I only pretend to look unaffected. Behind this mask, is a terrified little girl.’

‘It’s funny, you know. My dad used to say something similar. Stand tall in front of your problems and half of them would run away. I feel like I saw a real-life example in you,’ Isha said.

Monica’s smile faded a little while her eyes looked down. Isha felt a hint of sadness emanating from her. ‘I so wish that were true,’ Monica said.

***

Dusk was approaching soon as the daylight slowly faded. Pandian was exhausted but happy to be returning to the brothel. Everything at Kasipuram was quiet and peaceful.

The main door led to a small hall which housed a three-piece sofa set. One of the seats was occupied by the Madame of the brothel, Madame Roja. She was beyond her working years. Her cheeks were full of wrinkles and sagged while having gained considerable amount of weight in the last few years. Yet she never hesitated to dress up every night like she was ready to welcome a customer to a room.

Pandian walked in to see Madame tinkering with a necklace from one of the girls. She glanced at her guest without lifting her head before returning to the necklace. Pandian, meanwhile, flopped on to the seat across the glass tea table from her.

‘What Pandian? Working a lot nowadays?’ she asked him.

‘Had to deal with a psycho. Cutup one of our girls and left her to die.’

‘Nirmala?’ she inquired.

‘No. You don’t know her.’

‘Good. I would hate to lose out on one of my girls… speaking of which, you promised to bring me back that girl. I hope you haven’t forgotten.’ Her eyes gazed at him coldly.

‘If you have any problems, deal with Mallesh. He was responsible for your loss.’

‘I don’t care Pandian. I paid a nice fee for her and I ain’t getting that money back.’

‘She is good as gone. In the past month she has travelled far beyond to just put her in the back of a car and come. We told you to cut your losses from our pay anyways,’ Pandian said.

‘Sounds like you are afraid of this girl.’

‘I am and you should be too,’ he said. ‘Don’t be deceived by her small size. Steel windows aren’t the only thing she has broken.’

‘What are you trying to say?’ she asked. there was a quiver in her voice.

‘Let’s just say, the more I learnt about her, the more reason I found to not mess with her. I don’t know where she is, but I hope she stays far away from me.’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

New chapter everyday!

If you like what you read and want to see more, do support me on Patreon! You can also access chapters early on Patreon.

https://www.patreon.com/StoryTopia07

0