Chapter 6: Prepped for Sale
1.4k 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6: Prepped for Sale


As the wagon carrying Naomi approached the opulent auction hall, her eyes lit up. It wasn’t because of the grandeur of the structure, impressive though it might be. It was because for the first time since being captured she saw another non-human. Her black and orange fur and striped markings made it obvious she was a tiger beastkin. Naomi’s tail flicked back and forth as she realized that she wasn’t entirely alone in this strange city. 

However, her enthusiasm tapered almost immediately when she noticed that there was a metal collar around the woman’s neck. The tiger-woman had her head lowered respectfully towards a man who was lecturing her over something. She made a response that must have displeased the man, because he suddenly slapped her across the cheek. The impact made Naomi flinch, however the tiger-woman just kept her head bowed without saying anything. Even as the man raised his voice to her, she never let out another peep. 

When the man finished scolding her, he tugged on a leash connected to her collar. The suddenness jerked her forward and made her stumble. She hurriedly moved in closer behind him. Without another word, the man led her away and they disappeared into the crowd. 

There were plenty of other people around, but none paid any attention towards the incident. To them, it was just a common everyday occurrence to see a slave getting disciplined by their master. Naomi sulked as she realized that the treatment she received so far was the norm. There would be no one among them coming to her rescue. 

The wagon rattled to an abrupt stop outside the building. Naomi was brought through the auction hall’s main entrance. This time, her cage was carried forth by only a single hunter. She passed through a curtained archway that was large enough for a dozen people to stand abreast under it with room to spare. 

They entered into a grand open hall. All around slaves were on display ready to be sold. Some were in cages, while others simply kneeled on cushions with their wrists bound behind their back. At the end of the hall there was a stage that was currently empty. The place was bustling with customers who glanced curiously at the fox being brought through the hall.

Naomi noticed that the building was heavily guarded. The security forces here did not wear the same uniforms as the city guards she had seen at the docks. These men wore purple tabards with silver trim over their armor, and instead of halberds they had a mismatched assortment of weapons.

As she was brought deeper into the hall, she got a closer look at the slaves. There were more beastkin among them. Naomi saw one man with a tufted tail and a lion’s mane. He had a pride and arrogance about him even when he remained confined in a cage. The look in his eyes seemed to dare the passerby to try and tame him. 

At another stand there was one with the upper body of a woman, but her lower half was that of a snake. Her eyes were a piercing yellow and she had pupils like vertical slits. The rest of her face was covered by a sheer veil, but Naomi thought she gave one potential buyer a seductive smirk.

There were also other races that Naomi did not recognize. She saw one that was a muscular and savage looking male with gray-green skin. Tusks protruded from his lower jaw. And another that was a curvy woman with red skin. She had curled ram-like horns and cloven hooves instead of human legs. There were even a few humans that were slaves as well. Or at least they looked outwardly human as best as she could tell.

Beastkin, fey, fiend or human, no matter what race they were, they all wore a collar around their neck. Naomi would be a fool if she couldn’t tell by now that this was going to be her fate as well. She was surprised that many of them did not seem scared and vulnerable the same way she was. Some held their heads up high with pride to show off fancier jeweled collars, basking in the attention of the people ogling them.

The hunters carried her cage through the main hall and into a smaller area in the back. A placard above the doorway labeled this room 'Appraisals’. As she was set down on the floor, a man wearing a tunic with the same purple with silver trim as the guards looked up from behind his desk. He set down whatever document he was looking over and stood, moving to shake hands with the hunter who carried her in.

“Welcome, welcome. What can I do for you today? Looking to sell?” He flashed a cordial smile as he glanced towards Naomi. “We don’t deal in normal beasts, so I assume this one is..?”

“That’s right. Caught this one all the way out on the Isle of Amber. Foxkin shapeshifter.”

The slave broker’s smile reached his eyes on hearing those words. “Really now? Sir, you have my attention.”

Naomi got a nervous feeling from the way both men turned to look down at her in the cage. The hunter opened up the door and allowed her to get out. At the same time, he kept his crossbow at the ready to ensure she would not try anything funny.

She had been desperate to get out of her cage for the past two weeks, but now that the moment had really come, the foxgirl felt reluctant instead. Her movements were slow and hesitant. The hunter did not have the patience to wait for her. He kicked the side of the cage while threatening her with his weapon.

“Come on, hurry up! Out!”

Naomi timidly left the confines of the cage and soon stood between the two men. Both watched her expectantly. 

“Change back! Don’t try and pretend with me.” 

Even though she didn’t understand exactly what he was saying, she guessed what he wanted. But Naomi did not want to obey. If she reverted to her demi-human form, she would be naked and exposed. She shook her little head in her fox form as she ducked low. The hunter did not accept her refusal and continued to threaten her. She knew that if she didn’t do what she was told, she might really get hurt. 

Given no other choice, she reluctantly began to shapeshift. The same bluish glow engulfed her body until it fully covered her. When the light receded again, Naomi was kneeling on the floor with her normal appearance. Her face flushed red as she used her hands and tail to cover as much of her body as she could, but that didn’t stop both men’s eyes from roaming over her. 

The hunter grabbed her by the wrists and lifted her arms above her head. She was pulled up to her feet and held that way. With her body now fully exposed, the Silver Tongue appraiser stepped forward and started to inspect her closely. His eyes slid over the curve of her hips and waist, moving all the way down to her toes.

When his gaze came back up, he grabbed her chin, turning her head left and right. Next he wedged his thumb in the corner of her mouth, forcing her to open so he could look at her teeth. He made a twirling motion with his finger, indicating for the hunter holding her to turn her around and let him see her backside too. 

Naomi’s knees touched together and her legs quivered. The man’s hand slid down the small of her back. Then she felt him petting along her legs. He used his thumb to press on her inner thigh and spread her pussy. She fought and pulled at her wrists wanting to cover herself from embarrassment. The hunter just tightened his hold to keep her helpless.

The whole process was humiliating. Ultimately, the man checked over every inch of her body, but didn’t do anything else besides look. Satisfied with what he had seen, the appraiser gave the hunter a grin.

“She certainly is quite the specimen. We would be happy to handle the sale and include her in our VIP auction tomorrow. Our normal fee is a 20 gold deposit plus ten percent of the final sale price.”

After a moment of consideration, the hunter agreed. He was given a contract with the terms of the agreement. As he read through it, the appraiser retrieved a box from his desk. When he opened it, Naomi saw a brand new collar just like the ones on the other slaves.

The collar appeared like ordinary iron, but when the man came closer and started to fit it around her neck, she saw that the interior was inscribed with glowing runic symbols. The symbols shimmered with a mystical power that was obviously some kind of enchantment. These enchanted artifacts are what made the Silver Tongue such a powerhouse in the slave trade. They called them ‘spellcollars’. Once placed on a person, it would prevent them from controlling mana, effectively nullifying any magical abilities they possess. Even if a spellcollar were to be used on an archmage, so long as it remained on their neck, they were no different from an ordinary commoner.

The man gave Naomi a playful smirk as he fastened the collar around her neck. She felt a strange tingling sensation that faded after just a few moments. Other than having something metal around her neck being a little uncomfortable, she didn’t feel any different. 

“Leave her here with us tonight. We’ll dress her up and get her ready, then the auction will be tomorrow at midday.”

The two men shook hands afterwards and the hunter went on his way. The appraiser rang a small brass bell that had been sitting on his desk. A moment later two servant girls with maid dresses and aprons entered the room. They came forward and stood at attention.

“Clean her up. I want her presentable as soon as possible.”

Naomi was taken away by the maids. Luckily, they did not pull her out into the crowded main hall or she might have died of embarrassment. The two sensed the apprehension and fear in the young girl. They spoke to her gently and gave her smiles. She couldn't understand the words, but knew they were trying to soothe her.

She was brought to an elegant stone bath where the two maids washed away the filth and grime that accumulated on her body after being locked in the hold of a ship for weeks. It was such a relief to finally feel clean again. She gradually calmed down and did not resist as they bathed her.

Once her body was washed, they dried her and started combing through her long red hair. They used some kind of fragrant oils to make it shine and feel soft. Next, they moved on to her nails and toenails. They filed and polished them, making sure the ends were not jagged. After she was groomed and primped to their satisfaction, Naomi was dressed. She was given a white silk gown that clung to her body and had slits cut on the sides to leave her thighs exposed. The fabric was impossibly soft compared to the fur and hide clothes she made herself. Underneath she was made to wear a lacy pair of underwear. That too was something new for her.

When they were done dressing her, the maids brushed out the fur on her fox ears and tail. They were gentle enough with her, but she still felt uneasy. Naomi had never let another brush her tail and fur besides Lillian. She was still anxious from all the unfamiliar and intimidating experiences of the day. Her tail curled up around her protectively. The two maids had to take turns holding onto it so the other could work.

Finally, the maids were finished. They stood her up and turned her so she faced a tall full-body mirror. She looked... pretty. Her white gown made her seem pure and refined, like a noble young miss. The only thing that marred the illusion was the collar around her neck. The two maids curtsied towards her with a smile before disappearing from the chamber. She was left alone to admire her reflection apart from the guard at the door that prevented her from leaving. 

Naomi didn't know what to make of this place. On one hand, the people were so cruel and vicious. She was captured, locked in a cage, and forced to perform tricks. They humiliated her by forcing her to strip naked. Even the collar they put on her was a symbol of the power they had over her. 

On the other hand, the maids were nice to her. They washed and brushed her. Groomed her and dressed her with soft clothes. And many of the slaves she saw in the main hall seemed to be happy or even proud. It made her feel so confused. Did that mean that her situation wasn't so bad? Maybe they would give her to someone who would treat her kindly and let her live in a comfy place. But if that was true, there would be no need for the collar or the cage... 

She didn't know what the future would bring. All she could do was hold out hope and try to endure.

21