Chapter 8: Lupus Lux
1.4k 4 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8: Lupus Lux


A carriage bumped along the stone streets and swayed to the rhythm of the wheels. It had been around an hour since leaving the Silver Tongue Auction Hall. Naomi was inside along with her new master, Cassius. There was plenty of space inside the cabin, but he had pulled her right up into his lap the moment they both got in.

So far the air between the two of them had been a little awkward. Such was to be expected given how shy Naomi was. From what he understood, the foxgirl had been taken from the wilderness and spent just a single night in the city before being sold. It was only natural for her to be frightened and confused. She couldn’t even speak the common tongue yet. That made things a little more difficult at first, but from another perspective it was also a blessing. It meant that she could be trained in whatever way he liked. 

Cassius had one arm wrapped around her waist to hold her in place. With his other, he idly caressed up and down one of her legs. His rough hands contrasted sharply with her smooth and soft skin. As he held the girl, he was paying close attention to her reactions and her mood. 

The first step to bonding with a new pet was to show them that they weren't in danger and they could let their guard down around you. Of course, he could easily just overpower Naomi and take whatever he wanted. There were plenty of spells and items that could prevent her from putting up any resistance at all. This method was how most handled their slaves, but he had no plans to do the same. It was far more satisfying to have her willingly submit. Only then would she truly belong to him, body, mind, and soul.

At first, Naomi was very uncomfortable with being touched. She was a little scared of this stranger. After all, even though he had been gentle so far, her prior experiences with humans had not been pleasant. However, he whispered soothingly in her ear as he reached into her gown and pet on her legs.

"Relax... I'll take good care of you. There's no need to worry."

His tone had a calming effect on the young kitsune. She gradually eased up and let the tension in her shoulders slip away. Naomi didn't know it, but her training had already begun. He was intentionally getting her used to having his hands on her body. She might be uneasy about being so close for now, but with time she would happily come to his lap all on her own.

If Naomi knew that she was being manipulated into accepting her new master, perhaps she would put up a greater resistance. But the girl was too innocent to realize it. Eventually, she stopped focusing on the way she was being touched. Her attention instead drifted out the window where the fantastic sights and sounds of the city flowed by. It was a far cry from her simple and serene forest life. When she was first brought off the ship, she had been too distressed to appreciate the splendor. But now, her curious nature came out.

Her eyes sparkled with a sense of wonder as she observed the strange people dressed in their exotic clothes. There were vendors and performers on the side of the road. Children were playing games and running through the streets. It was all so vibrant and colorful. She became so engrossed that she didn't even notice her tail was wagging. Cassius was silently amused at how the girl's attention was so easily drawn by simple things. Even though the Garnet Dominion had its dark side, the majority of people scarcely interacted with those things and instead lived normal lives. 

They had left the crowded bazaar behind as the carriage crossed a stone bridge into another district. Below them, a gondola lazily drifted through the narrow canal. With Emeropolis being built on a delta, such waterways were commonplace. Some areas had nearly as many canals as they did streets.

Next, they passed through an elegant area that was lined with boutiques, restaurants, and wineries. This was another commercial district, but one that catered more towards services and entertainment. Naomi got a glimpse of a beautiful garden full of exotic plants. A pair of women were strolling along a path with their parasols. Their fine dresses were decorated with embroidery and delicate lace. 

Not long later, Naomi saw a large and ornate building that had a pair of marble columns at the entrance. A statue of a lion sat on top of the steps leading to the main entrance. Above that was a sign that read 'Emeropolis Athenaeum'. The building was the largest public library in the city. It contained over a million books. Naomi didn't know that, but she was still awestruck at the grandness of it.

Cassius watched as she pressed her nose against the glass. He smiled and leaned in closer. While Naomi was distracted by the fantastic scenery, he took the chance to kiss on her neck. As he brushed her hair over her shoulder, his warm breath pooled over her skin raising goosebumps.

"I'll bring you out to explore sometime."

Naomi's fox ears twitched. She felt his teeth graze her and a shiver ran down her spine. She had become so fixated on the city that she had almost forgotten about the man. Before she even understood what he was doing, he gave her neck a gentle bite. That made the girl instantly freeze up.

She let out a shaky breath and grew nervous, but then something strange happened. He didn't hurt her, he just made her feel a little ticklish. As he gave a few nibbles on the side of her neck, her body seemed to react on its own. She instinctively tilted her head to the side, exposing her vulnerable throat to him. That was something she would never do to a predator in the wild, yet the motion came so naturally. It was an unconscious signal of surrender.

Cassius did not reject the invitation. He kissed on her more deeply and sucked on her soft skin. At the same time, his hand traveled up her inner leg and gave her thigh a squeeze. Naomi felt warm all over. Her thoughts were telling her that she needed to flee, but she just closed her eyes and just let him have free reign. When he finally pulled his lips away, he had left behind a faint red mark. A visible reminder that she belonged to him now.

"See? I'm not so scary."

For a second, Naomi still remained frozen in place. It was almost like she was hoping he would continue. When she realized that, her face flushed red. Only now did she notice how heavy her breathing had become. 

"Looks like you enjoyed that. My little fox is naturally so obedient." Cassius laughed as he saw that she was flustered.

Naomi blinked up at him with a pout. Maybe she didn't understand his words, but she could tell that he was teasing her. 

Before she could get too embarrassed, their ride came to an end. The carriage had stopped in front of a large three-story building with a painted sign hanging over the door. It read 'Lupus Lux' and had an emblem of a wolf's head carved into the wood. The ground floor was a large tavern with the upper floors filled with rooms available for rent.

Cassius stepped out first and took Naomi's hand, keeping her steady while she hopped down from the carriage. She gazed up at the sign curiously, already forgetting her embarrassment a moment ago. If she knew more about human society, she would probably find this choice of inn strange. Although he had spent a huge sum of gold to buy her, he was staying at a rather ordinary place. It wasn't cheap, but it also wasn't the kind of luxurious establishment where you would expect to find the ultra-rich either.

He paid the driver and then the two walked in together. Cassius didn't let go of her hand. He threaded their fingers together and tugged the girl in close beside him. Naomi needed to hurry slightly to keep up with his longer strides. 

The tavern was busy, bustling with plenty of rowdy customers. In one corner there was a table of men playing cards. They were loud and rambunctious as they argued about their bets and threw their hands down. Other patrons were just eating and drinking, while the barmaids scurried around refilling mugs and bringing plates.

The Lupus Lux was frequented mostly by monster hunters, mercenaries, and guards. Many were dressed in their work clothes or armor and had weapons strapped to their sides. Some of them were boasting about their exploits and telling tall tales, while others were drinking their sorrows away.

A few people noticed the pair walking through the room. Naomi's slave collar and her fox features were enough to draw their attention. She was wearing a white silk gown that hugged her slender waist and her tail swished back and forth enticingly following the swinging of her hips. As they weaved through tables, she drew a few whistles and some of the men turned to watch her go.

One of the barmaids who was wiping down a table recognized Cassius. She gave him a flirty smile. 

"Welcome back. Is there anything I can get for you?"

The waitress twirled a few strands of her hair around one finger. At the same time, she leaned over the table and gave him an eyeful of her impressive chest that threatened to burst open the buttons of her top.

"Some dinner and wine would be lovely. We'll take it in my room."

"Right away, sir!" She hurried off to put in his order, but before she left she gave both him and Naomi a playful wink.

Cassius led them past the bar and the kitchen until they reached the stairs. Naomi was taken up to the top floor and brought down a corridor until they reached a particular door. He unlocked it and guided her inside. Once the door was shut, the noisy atmosphere of the tavern downstairs became just a distant murmur.

It was a spacious and well furnished suite with its own kitchen and a separate lounge area. There was a writing desk, a small dining table, and a loveseat sitting near a cozy hearth. The centerpiece of the room was a large four-post bed covered with blankets and a down comforter. There was also a balcony which looked out over a canal below.

"This will be your new home. At least for a little while until I get something more permanent."

The whole place was decorated with a rustic, but sophisticated style. It gave off a sense of comfort and warmth that was unlike the cold and uninviting auction house. Naomi was still nervous being alone in a room with her new master, but she was glad that at least this place wasn't so scary.

While they waited, Cassius went over to the desk and began scribbling something in a leather-bound notebook. He left Naomi to her own devices. At first, she stood in the middle of the room, unsure of what to do. But her curiosity eventually got the best of her and she started to poke around the place.

This was the first time that she really took the time to appreciate all the strange things that humans used. The furniture was carved from solid wood and polished to a shine. There were intricate patterns etched into the legs and trim. She ran her fingers along the surface of the table and found it to be smooth. 

Naomi noticed that there was some leather armor along with a small round shield and a blade propped up against one of the walls. The sword was sheathed in a fine scabbard with a handle wrapped in leather strips. The gear had a worn and well-used appearance. Rather than the steel or iron weapons that she had seen so far, these were forged from some kind of black metal.

Next, she took a closer look at the bed. She had never seen anything so soft and comfortable before. The blankets were as soft as rabbit's fur and the pillows were plush and fluffy. Even her den back home in the forest would not be as cozy. As she was running her fingers over the pillows, she heard a jingling sound beside them. There was a chain fastened to the headboard and a metal ring attached to the end.

The young kitsune tilted her head to one side curiously. What was the purpose of the chain? It was a strange thing to find on a bed, but maybe it was a part of some human ritual she did not understand. She didn't get the opportunity to think on the matter for long because at that moment, a knock came from the door.

22