Chapter 9: The Labyrinthian Part 1
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Why did I start thinking I was some kind of main character? Why was I so convinced that I could make it out of this place? Why did it have to leave me like this? Why couldn’t it have just killed me?

I don’t want to do this anymore. No, I physically can’t do this anymore. What’s the point of living when I can’t even walk? I’d just be a burden on everyone else, and I don’t want that.

When I was younger, I thought I was invincible. There was no such thing as death, hardship, or weakness. I was immortal, prosperous, and strong. No matter what came my way, I was convinced I could deal with it. And for a time, that was the truth. School was never a problem. Sports were always easy. Friends were always plentiful, and love was always attainable. My life and everything around me… was perfect.

Then, I died. It was unexpected and unavoidable and brought me to a new reality. A cruel one. One where I became insignificant. One that has stripped me of everything. And one that I can never accept.

 


 

I opened my eyes and gazed upon a grey ceiling. I tried to lift myself off the ground, but it was impossible. So instead, I looked around. This place was similar to the area I was being treated in before I blacked out. I rested atop my knapsack in a stone brick square-like room. There was nothing but torches that lined the wall leading out to a single hallway that disappeared into darkness.

“Is anyone here?” I yelled. “Hello?”

“Bryan?”

“Sola?”

“Caesar!?”

No responses, of course. Maybe I was abandoned. I would have probably done the same thing. In this situation, a crippled would be nothing more than a burden. They made the right choice, but it still hurts.

I reached for my sides and began to pat my torso. Lo and behold, my dagger was still attached to my person. I quickly pulled it out and examined the silver blade. It glistened no matter which way I turned it and, more importantly, looked sharp.

Should I do it?

Can I do it?

An intense bulge formed in my throat as I struggled to swallow my saliva. I was breaking out into a cold sweat as the thoughts surged into my head. What’s the point? I continued to think. Let’s just end this. But the blade scares me just as much, if not more, than the minotaur did.

I’m weak. I failed to get out of here. I couldn’t help my companions, and I couldn't even end my own life. What am I capable of? I threw the dagger away to the side. It clanged and echoed throughout the room, and then silence returned.

It was then that I noticed the sound of footsteps approaching me. It was coming from down the hallway.

“Looks like you’re awake,” I heard Bryan shout.

Hearing his voice almost brought a tear to my eyes. He came into view with Sola by his side. Her face was still streaked with tears, and she had a constant snuffle.

“I-I’m sorry, Shi,” she cried. “If you weren’t holding me, this wouldn’t have happened.”

“It’s not your fault,” I grunted. She took a seat next to me while Bryan picked up the blade. “I just – never mind. It's not your fault.”

Tears silently flowed from her as she clutched my hand and wiped them vigorously. I’m not upset at her, and I don’t blame her whatsoever. I’m just not capable of saying anything to comfort her right now. Not when I can’t even comfort myself.

“You shouldn’t throw this away,” Bryan said, placing the dagger onto my chest. “This place isn’t safe, so you should keep it on you.”

“Where are we?” I asked. “Are we still in the cave?”

“Yeah,” he sighed. “Caesar and Castoff are calling this place the ‘labyrinthian.’ Though I kinda tuned out for the rest of the conversation.”

“That’s not a good habit, Bryan,” Caesar laughed.

He came into view from the fog, joined by Castoff, Augustus, and a shell-shocked-looking Dahlia.

“According to legends,” he continued. “The minotaur was the offspring of a woman called Pasiphae and a sacrificial bull. It was sent to a place known as the Labyrinthian, where it was later killed by the legendary Theseus.”
“How did that person kill it?”

“The legend varies,” Castoff added. “Some say he felled the beast with his bare hands. Others say a sword or a club.”

“While that may not seem helpful at first,” Augustus continued. “It at least confirms the creature can be slain.”

Caesar took a seat next to me.

“That is why we went scouting and confirmed the fact that this place mimics that of the labyrinthian of legends. This means that defeating the minotaur is some kind of ‘rite-of-passage’ to get onto the next floor.”

“And how will we do that?” I asked.

I don’t like being pessimistic, but I also don’t like this beating around the bush. This information doesn’t change the fact that we still have the impossible task of defeating that thing.

“We found a stalagmite pit not too far from here that’s in the cave,” Caesar began. “Unlike on earth, the rocks are sharp and look dangerous. If we can find a way to make the minotaur fall into it, we can kill it.”

“To assist with that,” Castoff continued. “We’ve been mapping out the labyrinthian to find the most effective routes. We’ve been doing this for a long time, probably days, and there have still been no signs of the minotaur.”

“That’s where you come in,” Augustus beamed. “We need you to use your ability to locate the minotaur. It is better if we can get the jump on it or at least know its location, especially with how it caught us off guard.”

“That makes sense,” I sighed.

I don’t even know if I can even deliver on that. [Red Realm] completely failed to detect any danger earlier. Would it be any different now?

Despite my negative thoughts, I tried anyway. I closed my eyes and focused as the red materialized into my vision. This time, I could not see Dark-Matter-kun. Instead, a ghastly black glob appeared to my left, seemingly getting smaller by the second. What was most strange was the fear I felt when looking at it. It was definitely representing the minotaur.

I ushered for Bryan to help me up.

“It’s to my left,” I pointed.

“Left?” Caesar responded, looking at the grey brick wall. “That means it is somewhere in this labyrinthian. Bryan, carry Shi on your back. We must act first and lay out a route.”

Despite my fears, the minotaur wasn’t getting any closer. It simply maintained its distance, allowing us to work fast and efficiently.

Though extremely complicated, [Red Realm] allowed me to have a top-down map-like view of the labyrinthian. It was a snake-like interchange of winding narrow passageways with large cave enclaves throughout. The area we were in prior, the entrance, was the beginning of this maze-like place.

“I think everything is set up now,” Caesar huffed. “We should be ready to fight the minotaur.”

“Yes,” I smiled. “I’ll act as the GPS. The path we've found should be bulletproof.”

“GPS?” Bryan questioned.

“It's another way of saying navigator,” I answered.

“Such weird terminology…”

We began approaching the minotaur's location. That repugnant smell filled my nose again as we made our way through the narrow paths. My attention fell on Dahlia, who had been mute since I saw her again. With how awful I was feeling, I wondered how she was holding up and why she even chose to come.

The glob was getting bigger.

“We are close.”

“Alright,” Bryan grunted. “I wonder when this smell will go away…”

“I don’t think it will,” Caesar replied. He was leading the line and took another turn. “If its what I think it is…”

I heard it.

The eerie sound of teeth gnashing echoed throughout the enclosed space. Bones cracking, flesh tearing, blood splattering. I didn’t have to see anything to know what was happening. That smell, this sound, and the feeling in my chest were enough to alert me of the inhumane acts being committed.

Instantly, Dahlia turned to a corner and began to gag and hurl. I can't blame her; I am just barely holding back my own gag reflexes.

“Everyone, stand back!” Caesar hissed.

He was crouching now, shining his torch in front of us.

“Help!”

“Help us!”

“PLEASE.”

What?

Voices?

Distressed ones. What’s going on?

There was another turn up ahead, but this one was different. There was a light source coming from its direction. Caesar ushered for us all to put out our torches as I activated [Red Realm]. Show me what's happening there.

A terrible sight graced my vision that was straight out of Hell. People ran in all directions as the minotaur devoured them one by one. I knew it was feeding, but live humans? I instantly regretted looking, but my worries weren’t over. As if it were psychic, it began to run towards us.

“B-Bryan guys, turn around now!” I stammered. “We have to get out of here!”
But it was too late. I could see its outline turn the corner. Its grotesque beastly form was all too familiar as a deathly screech sent shudders down my spine. Its depth felt like it was piercing through my body, shattering my bones as I froze. Bryan's flight reaction must have kicked in as he took off down the hall.

I watched as everyone followed behind us, running at speeds that would rival the fastest people ever to live. It shrieked again, slamming into the wall as it turned another corner. Its mouth was filled with mangled hands and feet. Its eyes showed no signs of remorse as it belted forward towards us.

It’s too quick.

With one strong jump that shook the floor, it leapt in front of us.

“GET READY!” Castoff yelled, unsheathing his blade.

Instantly, the minotaur struck down at him as if sensing the danger. The clash vibrated throughout the dark halls as sparks began to fly. With every blow, Castoff was sent further and further back. Then, the creature pulled back its weight and rammed into him head-first. He was sent flying down the hall.

“CASTOFF,” Caesar yelled.

Thanks to his efforts, the path ahead of us was now cleared, and Bryan continued to take off.

“We have to hope he’s still alive!”

“He is,” Caesar insisted. “That alone will not be enough to kill him.”

“The fork is coming up,” I yelled.

“Alright,” Caesar huffed. “Just as planned, Dahlia and Sola will take the right path while we head for the stalagmite pit.”

“Right!” I responded.

Augustus dropped Sola gently, and the two took off.

“Now we have to wait for the minotaur…” he grumbled.

“Was it not chasing us?” Bryan huffed. “Did it stay back to finish Castoff?”

“IT DIDN’T,” I yelled.

The creature was above us.

Before I could say anything, however, it slammed into the ground, sending dust particles everywhere. I shut my eyes instantly and began relying on [Red Realm]. Show me the minotaur and my friends.

It was about to attack Augustus.

“AUGUSTUS, TO YOUR RIGHT! DODGE!”

He moved just in time as it slashed down on him.

The beast seemingly reacted to my voice as it charged toward Bryan and me. My large friend instantly pulled out his blade and dodged the initial attack. He used its vulnerable position to slash at its back as it continued its rampant drive. The beast let out a hysterical roar. Did that attack hurt it?

“It’s much different from before,” Caesar noticed. “Its movement was never intelligent, but it was able to speak earlier.”

“Maybe it doesn’t want to talk anymore?” Bryan smirked.

“No, I don’t think that’s the case,” he replied. “We should remain vigilant.”

“Sounds good to me,” Augustus added. “We have to go back for Castoff and the rest as soon as possible.”

“Right,” I confirmed.

However, the minotaur definitely had other ideas. Its eyes were filled with an uncontrollable anger. It raised its fur-dense hands and began to beat at its chest violently. Not a single sound escaped its mouth as its flesh was mashed into itself. I watched on in fear as it finally stood still, not moving.

Then, it suddenly charged toward me and Bryan again. We took the attack head-on this time, with Bryan standing his ground as it rammed its horns into his blade. I caught Caesar and Augustus out of my peripheral getting ready to flank the beast.

The moment they gave a thumbs up, Bryan pulled back from the engagement as the duo slashed both sides of the minotaur's hind legs. It fell to its knees in a fit of anger, once again releasing a defining roar.

I clutched my ears in response as we took a moment to regroup. Right now, we were winning the engagement, and I could sense that everyone wanted to keep it going. Maybe we didn’t need to head for that stalagmite mine. Maybe all we needed was a bit of confidence.

The moment was short-lived, however, as [Red Realm] picked up a worrying sight. The beast was beginning to heal all the injuries we inflicted on it, yet retained the same rage. The battle was not over.

0