kindling
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jenna had always been a scaredy cat. afraid of the dark, clowns, spiders, and the nightmares that ensued after every horror movie she watched. she was a pussy, through and through. she was usually quite proud of her survival instinct, except right now it wasn't doing her any favors. heat filled the room, doubling the sweat she was already making. her hand was over her mouth, attempting to stifle her panting. she hoped the crackling of the flames was doing a better job at that she felt footsteps. heavy, uneven. dragging once in a while. a moan, one of agony and confusion. pain, a child unable to cry as it is tortured. she dares not look. focus, breath lightly. do not gasp, do not breathe heavy.

today was supposed to be somewhat normal. her friends had suggested going through the abandoned lab on campus. nothing much, they were just going to bring beer and chill. the whole way there, Jessica had told her about why the lab shut down, rumors about the gene research kids fucking up. oh poor Jessica, with a cruel grin that made you angry if you didn't know her. what had she though as her body had seized, muscles spasming as foam poured from her mouth? and her eyes-

the footsteps stop. did it notice? another moan, this time closer to a howl. a thud. it's on it's knees. pain?

Jenna began to slowly peak around the side-ways table. she sees the burnt skin, a tight and leathery gray tapestry that adorns long, spindly bones. its kneeling, head against the floor as the moans increase. the wings on it's back tremble and quiver. should she run now? but she'd seen the thing move, could she outrun it?

movement. not from the creature but beyond it. from behind another table pokes the head of Alice, a girl who'd she had met in bio-chem. her appearance now was quite different from what she looked like in class. her usual straight, now clung to her face, eyebrows creased with grease. they lock eyes. same decision to make. Jenna hesitates, Alice does not. the small girl shoots from her hiding spot, her track legs propelling her down the hall. a shift in the creatures head, and Jessica crawls back behind the table. 

a burst of wind sends the papers in the room flying. a moment later, a boom rings out, sound finally catching up to the creatures speed. the blood drains from her face. since when did it...

there is no scream from Alice, only a gasp. Jenna is heaving, panicking. bad, too much noise. 1 2 3, 1 2 3, inhale, 1 2 3, 1 2 3, exhale- 

and then it's back. she knows, can hear it's small, pathetic groans. the sound catches back up, a  second boom hitting the room that causes papers to excite even more. those damn wings. shit, was that exhale too loud? no, no, don't think that. think of mom, her cooking. dad's smile. yes, she'll be silent till it leaves, and than

and then it's there. yellow eyes, ablaze with that sickening madness. no, no no, no no no no no no no no n-

it grabs her and yanks her head against his. she feels the flame shoot into her eyes. no scream. all she can see is yellow. voices, moaning as they are melted. souls gone, returned to one. there are no screams. It releases it's grip. she falls to the floor, feeling froth in her mouth as she clutches her head. she moans. agony. the voices grow louder. end it. end it now, no more. mom, mom, please.

i don't want this. mom, where are you? for a moment, she thinks she can see it go away, still groaning in self-pity. why her, why them?

she feels the pull towards the mass, the pulsing sickness in the heart of the inferno. 

no, don't do this. i was born sentient, i deserve to live as my own being. i am my own person! 

she reaches it, feels the pain flowing into her

i have a right, i have a-!


the news reporter explains that the fire at the abandoned wing of the local college has been contained, her smile relaxed and at ease. an older woman sits on her couch, eyes boring into the tv as the phone shakes in her hand. 

"Jenna, why wont you answer babe?"

she begins to sob. her hands clasp together as she utters a quit prayer in hushed tone.

sadly, the individual human known as Jenna is no longer a real thing. Soon, her mother wont be either.

0