(OsiriumWrites) Breachers -I- Path of Steel – Chapter 27 (The Old Alley)
34 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Breachers – Path of Steel

27

I

The Old Alley

- - -

 

Several hours later

 

As Marcus folded the final chair, sweat clung to his back, and a dull ache gnawed at his muscles. ‘Five Spheres in a row? What the hell kind of stamina does that freak have?’ he mused, stealing a look at his friend who, despite doing the lion’s share of the heavy lifting and work, seemed as energetic as ever. ‘He’s really good at this,’ Marcus acknowledged with a grin as he re-entered the food truck to stow the chairs. “All done, boss.”

“Good work. Go and grab a couple of beers and get on the roof. I’ve got something cool to show you,” Felix suggested as he wrapped up his tasks. Marcus picked up two cans of beer, stepped outside, and awkwardly ascended the ladder at the rear of the truck. From his perch, he had a view of the light blue Rift at the edge of the compound, surrounded by walls and the remnants of a destroyed highway. Even in the late evening, the site was brightly lit, thanks to the array of lights dispersed throughout the site.  

‘I’ve seen a Sphere in a forest, a construction zone, two at the same lake, and now one near a highway,’ he reflected as he settled down with the cans beside him. ‘Those things really are everywhere. It’s insane to think that just one random piece of Monster-Glass that is overlooked and left alone can create a Sphere over time.’ He had heard that this particular Sphere was going to be cleared as soon as possible, as it obstructed a vital artery in the country’s infrastructure. The other Spheres were less of a nuisance and had been acquired by larger guilds for training personnel or resource farming. “Soon,” he murmured, gazing at the Sphere, recalling the promise he’d made to his family.

“What’s happening soon?” Felix asked as he climbed up the ladder and joined his friend, afterward sitting down on the truck’s roof next to him, legs dangling over the edge. “I hope you were talking about the beers,” Felix said, opening both beer cans and handing his friend one of them with the grace of a caveman.

“My first one in thirteen years,” Marcus mumbled, his gaze fixed on the can as though it held some secret. “Good thing you’re driving, because I have a feeling this’ll hit me fast.”

“It will with that pathetic attitude. Besides, you didn’t have a driver’s license to begin with, remember?” Felix reminded, tapping his beer can against Marcus’s. Afterwards, both friends sipped their drinks and let out a synchronized ‘ah’ and just stared at the blue sphere in front of them for a moment. “Here, check this out,” Felix said before waving at the security personnel at the site. Within seconds, all the lights on the site went out, enveloping them all in darkness. Felix and Marcus gazed skyward, and without any lights around them, the night sky revealed more of its splendor. There was a brief silence before Felix ruined it as he let out a low whistle and settled flat on his back, staring upward with his feet still dangling over the edge. “How’s that for your first beer in thirteen years?”

“You’re a good friend,” Marcus said as he joined Felix. They both gazed up at the humbling display of the universe above them, feeling a bit awkward about sharing such a sincere moment instead of their usual banter.

“Are you sure you’ll be okay, leaving the hospital and all? It’s a pretty big move.”

“Yeah, I’ll manage,” Marcus said, taking a few more sips before continuing. “Joline wanted me to stay with her for a few weeks, just to make sure. Martin offered something similar, in his own way. I assured them you had found me a decent place, and I’d visit them often and join them for dinner when possible.” As he sipped his drink again, he sensed his friend’s sudden quietness. “You did find a decent place, right?”

“Yup... decent place,” Felix muttered with a lackluster tone, then took a hearty gulp of beer.

“Felix?” Marcus probed, almost able to feel his friend’s discomfort, despite not meeting his gaze. “You swore that—”

“Chill,” Felix said suddenly. He finished his beer and balanced the empty can on his finger for a moment. “I meant what I said. So, relax. When have I ever broken a promise?” He flashed a smile before hurling the empty beer can as far as he could, hearing it land and bounce on the gravel road.

“Hey! You can’t litter here!” One of the security guards suddenly hollered, causing Felix to shift to the right and peer over the edge.

“Dude, we were having a bonding moment here. You’re ruining it!”

“You could be making a marriage proposal to your boyfriend over there, and I still wouldn’t care! That ‘no littering’ sign next to that wreck of a truck of yours is as clear as day.” The guard said, pointing at a sign that was barely even noticeable in the dark.

“You did not just say that about Bianca! I swear, I’ll come down there and force-feed you a coffee,” Felix said with feigned anger. He started descending from the truck’s side, but then the thuds of footsteps on the roof made him pause as he watched Marcus jump off the roof of the truck. He watched his friend land on the gravel and slide to a halt before he picked up the empty beer can and threw it back towards Felix. “Thanks,” Felix said, awkwardly standing with the can in hand as he watched his friend, eyes narrowing for a moment while the lights got turned on again. A few seconds later, Felix regained his composure and began berating the guard while standing up for his truck. Mere minutes later, he provided both the guard and the man’s colleagues with a coffee and a few sandwiches that had been left over. “Alright, gentlemen. Good luck with your shift. I have no doubt we’ll see each other in the future,” he said with a smirk as he shook a few hands before getting back into the truck with Marcus and sliding the keys in the ignition. Felix fired up the car’s engine, easing his way towards the exit, where he patiently waited for the gate to swing open. With a rev of the engine, he drove out and began their journey back to the city. “Hold out your phone for a sec,” he said, tapping his own device against Marcus’s. A few seconds later, a successful credit transfer icon popped up on both screens.

Marcus’s eyes widened as he saw the amount. “This is way too much—”

“It’s half... well, minus the operating costs, supplies, etc. But it’s half,” he said, interrupting his friend with a calm tone. “It’s a job. I’m not a fancy lawyer, leader of a guild, or some African prince in disguise despite my dashing good looks, but I earn enough to live comfortably, and it’s enough to keep the lights on and then some.” He paused for a moment, switching his gaze back to the sky. “You’re welcome to tag along as long as you want. We’ll split everything down the middle."

“Does that mean I can also paint my own face on the truck?” Marcus asked with a grin.

“I’d rather burn Bianca to the ground before I’d ruin her like that,” Felix retorted defiantly. It didn’t take long until they both chuckled before it evolved into laughter. Afterwards, they exchanged two quick fist bumps. “I’ve missed you, buddy,” Felix said as they headed back to the City of New Haven.

 

- - -

 

Day 25

 

Marcus’s fingers drummed a rhythm of restless tones on his knees as the SUV, driven by his younger brother Martin, pulled up beside Felix’s food truck in a parking lot. In the distance, they could see an old pub. The car was filled with an uncomfortable silence that had lingered since they left the hospital. “You know,” Marcus spoke up, “this location is ideal. Right in the middle of the city. Public transportation should be a breeze, so I can easily pop in at your work to have lunch or something.”

“Hmhm,” came Martin’s reply as his eyes fixated on the pub’s sign, ‘The Old Alley,’ before he added, “That’s reassuring to hear about the location. I bet it’s nicer inside than it appears on the outside.” They left the car, with Martin clutching Marcus’s bag despite the older brother’s protests that he could manage. Martin just awkwardly balanced Marcus’s backpack for a moment before grabbing his crutches. Afterwards, the two of them made their way into the old pub, where a few patrons enjoyed lunch and beers. The interior of the pub, an old Dutch establishment brimming with ‘character’, revealed itself. The place held a unique feel, a blend of years gone by, with creaking floorboards and weathered barstools, each bearing the weight of countless exaggerated tales told at one point. One glance instantly told Marcus that the building had survived the Great Impact and the years that had followed.

Behind the bar, a grumpy-looking owner stood, his demeanor matching the worn atmosphere. On the other end of the bar, Felix sat, nursing a glass of milk. As soon as the door had swung open, the owner, an old Asian man, had shifted his attention toward Marcus and his brother,  narrowing his eyes further. Seeing the man’s reaction, Felix shifted his attention toward the entrance, and his face lit up as he spotted Marcus and Martin. “Hey!” he greeted with a small wave.

With Marcus and his brother in tow, the owner cast a disapproving look their way as he ran his hand through his thinning black hair. “Is this him?” he inquired, to which Felix just nodded.

“Yeah, this is him,” Felix said, giving Marcus a friendly pat on the shoulder. “Marcus, meet Mr. Sakane Koichi, though everyone just calls him Sam.”

The man’s gaze zeroed in on Marcus, focusing on the distinctive black marks that adorned his right hand and face. “Are you one of the Marked?” he inquired, his voice tinged with a hint of disapproval.

“I am. An Original,” Marcus replied, even giving a nod. “But I’m not a Breacher or anything.”

There was a brief pause as the man shifted his gaze back to Felix. “Alright. Same rules as with you. Rent is due the first of each month. No loud noises, pets or smoking. And I expect you both to help out in the pub whenever someone needs to be tossed out or something heavy needs carrying.”

“No worries. Marcus might not look like it, but he knows his way around a bar fight,” Felix admitted, afterwards seeing a flicker of irritation on Sam’s face. “I shouldn’t have said that, huh? Let’s just pretend I didn’t. Alright? He’ll be good, I promise.” With that, the old man gestured for them to follow, and Felix gave Marcus a reassuring wink and thumbs up when Sam had his back towards them.

They proceeded through a door behind the bar, crossing a storage area that held dozens of kegs of beer before ascending a creaky, narrow staircase up to the next floor. Marcus could hear his brother’s crutches creak on the aged wooden steps as they all went up. On the next floor, they could see several doors lining the corridor, one of which was Felix’s. “This one will be yours,” Sam informed them, unlocking it before swinging the door open and ushering them inside.

The apartment stood empty; its floorboards covered in a thin layer of dust. They wandered around, inspecting the rooms as Sam explained a bit about the place before he handed Marcus the keys and made his way downstairs again. Marcus’s brother just roamed around for a few minutes before joining up with the others. “So, what do you think?” he inquired, setting his brother’s bag on the floor.

“It’s perfect,” Marcus said, grabbing the edge of a nearby countertop and perching himself on it with a light hop. “I mean, it could use a good once-over with a broom and a bit of tidying, but it’s more than enough for what I need at this point in my life.”

“Alright,” Martin responded, his finger tracing a line through the dust on the counter. “You’re absolutely sure you don’t want me or Joline to pitch in with furniture or other stuff?”

“That’s really kind of you guys, but I’ve got it under control,” Marcus replied, a warm smile gracing his face as he patted the countertop. “There’s a thrift store nearby, and I want to buy my stuff on my own. You know, prove that I can stand on my own two feet,” he added, glancing at his younger sibling and noticing the man’s neutral expression. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it like that. I just want to show you and sis that I can do this. And Felix is right across from me, so he’ll notice the smell in case I kick the bucket.” He flashed a reassuring smile, then hopped off the countertop and began searching the keychain for a spare key. “Do you want one?”

“Save that for Joline and Felix. It’s more efficient that way,” Martin advised, giving the apartment one last glance before nodding at his brother. “Okay, I’ll let you settle in. We’ve got your deposit and the first month’s rent covered,” he said before he held up his hand when Marcus’s mouth opened. “It’s a decision made by your uncle, sister, and me, so it’s not open for debate. Alright?” It took a few seconds, but eventually Marcus responded with a hesitant nod. “Perfect. Felix, make sure Marcus is alright, okay?”

“Got it!” Felix replied with a broad grin as they observed Martin’s departure followed by the rhythmic sound of his crutches gradually fading down the stairs. “So... he’s still not warming up to you, huh?”

“What gave it away?”

“His chakras were clearly out of sync... or maybe it’s because he barely spoke with you, always addressing you by your name instead of ‘brother,” Felix commented, rubbing his chin. “Man, I remember how he used to act around you in the past, the way his eyes would light up when you picked him up from school. I miss that little kid.”

“Yeah,” Marcus replied, his eyes stuck on the door. “Joline thinks he’ll defrost arround me eventually, but I can’t help but think my absence the last few years has permanently broken our relationship. That, or maybe I’m just a shitty brother?”

“Well, you weren’t the best friend either, so why not aim for the complete package?” Felix retorted. He strolled around the room, wiping his sleeve across the dirty window to peer outside. “Martin probably needs some more time to get used to you. And leaving the hospital against medical advice, not to mention the massive debt your sister’s dealing with, is no doubt worsening your chances.”

“Thanks for the pep talk.”

“That’s what friends are for,” Felix replied, still focused on the view outside. “Now, as for this place... I won’t pretend it’s fancy; in fact, it’s the opposite. But the rent won’t drain your credits, and the landlord, well, he’s quite selective about new tenants,” Felix said before he explained how the last few years had been for him in the city, emphasizing how Sam had given him a chance and even supported his food truck business. “He might be a bit of a grouch, but he’s reliable where it matters and will treat you like family in the long run. Now, I’ve got a spare sleeping bag and an inflatable mattress in storage, as long as you don’t mind the smell, and you can borrow one of my chairs for now. We’ll sort out proper furniture and stuff later this week. Is there anything else you need in the meantime?” he asked as he made his way over to his friend.

“A mop and a broom, and if possible, a spare plate, mug, knife, and fork would be handy.”

“A knife and a fork? What are you, royalty? Feeling posh, are we?” Felix teased, nudging his friend’s ribs. “Sure, no problem. I might have a few spare plastic cups, forks, and plates left over from a recent BBQ. You can keep those. Anything else?”

Marcus took a moment, his thoughts drifting back to a particular rooftop air vent at the hospital that held something important to him. “Yeah, one more thing,” he began, with Felix giving a reassuring nod. “Could I borrow your 3D printer for a few hours?”

“That’s a random thing to ask for,” Felix remarked, his gaze fixed on Marcus for a beat. “But alright. What do you need it for, anyway?”

“Just some minor repairs.”

 

- - -

Copyright: OsiriumWrites

3