Scandalous
462 0 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking down the road, Gabriella attempted to engage in some casual conversation. 

"So," Gabriella began, her voice carrying a genuine curiosity. "What happened back there? How did you end up with a very angry man yelling at you on the side of the road?" 

Lillith's eyes flickered with a mixture of so many different emotions. Resignation, reluctance, and a subtle hint of vulnerability, all fell upon her at once.

She hesitated as if carefully measuring the words she was willing to share.

"Um... It's a long story and not one I want to tell, really," Lillith replied, her gaze momentarily diverted. "Let's just say life has a way of leading you down unexpected paths. My name's Lilith by the way. You can just call me Lily, if you want." 

Gabriella sensed the guarded nature of Lillith's response, an unspoken reluctance to unravel the intricacies of her past.

[Well, it's probably wise not to spill your tea to every single lady with a charming smile out there. Not all of us have good intentions, hehe.] 

Gabriella conceded, wanting to give the girl as much space as she needed. 

[It would be good if I don't accidentally get her to change her mind about helping me.] 

"I understand."

She left it at that but Lillith opened up a little on her own. 

"Some people just want to take more than they're supposed to. It's fucked up." 

"Ah..." Gabriella nodded slowly. A few words spilled out from her lips before she could stop them. "Sounds like this happens often for you." 

She knew she overstepped as soon as Lillith looked away, increasing the distance a little between them as if Gabriella had almost stepped on top of the secrets she was trying to keep. 

Gabriella couldn't help it, though. Every single part of the girl's image made that painfully clear. 

[Taking more than you should, though... Isn't that how I ended up in the position I had in Gelmora? That's how I've always lived my life. I take what I'm owed and then I get whatever else I can. You don't become the most powerful mage in the world without an attitude like that.] 

She glanced at Lillith. 

[Though, perhaps that isn't quite what she means.] 

The cityscape unfolded before Gabriella as they reached Lily's workplace, an establishment nestled within the heart of all this metallic chaos.

The entrance, marked by a flickering sign adorned with bold, stylized letters, emitted a soft hum as odd, pulsating music pulsed from within, blending with the distant sounds.

The place was called the G-Spot.

On the sign highlighting that name was a peculiar drawing. The silhouette of a woman, kicking her feet up and arching her back. 

[Well... Whoever designed that little image has good taste. But, that music is far too loud. I can hear it all the way from out here![ 

A metallic door, its surface etched with sloppily applied paint and scratches, stood as the threshold to an enigmatic realm concealed within.

Lillith cast Gabriella an unsure look. 

"... You, uhm... You really don't remember anything?" 

"Nothing." 

"Right... Uh, don't say anything, then. And, uh, don't do anything. Like, with your mind or whatever." 

"Am I permitted to have thoughts?" Gabriella asked with some amusement. 

"Uh, y-yeah, I just mean..." She made some vague gestures in the air and Gabriella nodded. 

"No excessive displays of power? I understand. But, you know, if power is truly so frightening in this city, anyone who sees my Status is going to be petrified anyway." 

Lillith gave her a curious look. 

"I don't think anyone in here is going to have the kind of optics you'd need for that." 

[Optics?]

"I see. Well, in any case, I will behave. You should appreciate it," Gabriella said before she could stop herself. "I'm not usually the one submitting." 

The other girl apparently didn't get the joke as she just sort of blinked twice in response. 

[Oh well.] 

Lillith knocked on the door.

"Yeah?" A bored man's voice sounded off behind it.

"It's me."

In an instant, the door was opened.

"Wow, you actually made it back from-"

The man, a slightly chubby individual wearing a sleeveless black shirt and some baggy pants, stopped as he looked at Gabriella.

The sorceress bowed. 

"Greetings." 

He looked her up and down. 

"Who's this?" 

"Someone I met on the way," Lillith replied. 

"Is she, uh... a recruit for the cause?" 

[A cause? Is there some rebellion happening?]

Naturally, Gabriella made sure to listen carefully. Any throwaway comment could shed some light on the sort of place she was in. 

"... Maybe," Lillith replied. 

"Yeah? She looks like she's about two leagues out of our price range, but alright." He stepped aside. 

"Come on," Lillith urged her quietly. 

The music was muffled no longer. Gabriella entered, and the atmosphere shifted instantly. Dimly lit corridors gave way to a maze of interconnected, narrow rooms, each veiled in shadows and suffused with the artificial glow of holographic displays, like multi-colored Systems popping out from objects. The air was 80% smoke pouring out from deeper into the building. 

Lillith greeted most of the people around them. Men and women, all dressed very, very strangely. 

[You people look like walking rainbows, what is this? Am I going to have to teach this world what grace looks like?] 

In the heart of the establishment, patrons immersed themselves in the pulsating rhythm of those synthetic-sounding beats. Holographic projections adorned the walls, depicting surreal landscapes that seemed to dance in tandem with the music.

[Magic, perhaps? Interesting. I'd never even contemplated mine using it in this manner.] 

Dimly illuminated corners housed clusters of individuals engaged in whispered conversations as they sat in round, comfortable-looking couches, their faces obscured by the ever-present haze of those vapors.

Despite that, Gabriella could tell their eyes were following the pair. 

Lillith, navigating this place with a practiced ease, led Gabriella through this tapestry of sights and sounds. The city's beating heart manifested itself within these walls, an amalgamation of every strange thing Gabriella had seen thus far and so much more. 

Then, they stepped through a black door, and...

[Oh my...]

Gabriella's jaw hit the ground. 

Set up in the middle of this establishment were poles reaching up to the ceiling. As violet lights cast the area in a dream-like haze, displayed in all their glory, were women dancing around those poles. 

Dressed in... Well, many of them were not wearing anything at all. 

Gabriella swallowed. 

[SCANDALOUS!!! Lillith works here!?!? What sort of person did I run into!?] 

Lillith pointed to a seat nearby. 

"Please, make yourself comfortable. I'll just be a moment," Lily assured, a subtle smile playing on her lips. With that, she disappeared into the corridors, leaving Gabriella alone with a wonderful view to keep her entertained. 

[This is... almost more than I can handle,] Gabriella thought, averting her gaze for a moment. [Ah, I'm actually blushing. When was the last time I did that? Years ago?] 

Her peaceful viewing did not last long, however. 

Someone from one of the other seats got up and walked over. A guy with some weird, dark blindfold walked up, nodding at her. 

"Ay babe, how much for a few hours?" 

Gabriella blinked. 

"My apologies, friend, but you seem to be mistaken. I do not work here." 

"Bullshit," he replied, before pulling out a bundle of paper. "Come on, take a look." 

"That's... Quite a lot of paper." 

[I suppose that is something to be proud of in this place.] 

"You're damn right. So, come on. What do ya say we go for a walk?" 

"Again," Gabriella reiterated, "I do not work here. If I did, would I not be dancing?" 

"I can make you dance alright. Just-" 

The door Lillith had gone through reopened and revealed her making her way out. 

She saw what was happening at Gabriella's table. Her eyes went wide. In a flash, she was right next to them. 

"N-NATHAN! Hey!" Lillith greeted the man, out of breath from having run all the way here. "Didn't see ya here!" 

"Huh? Yeah, what's up? Lily, I don't think this hoe knows who she's talking to, could you maybe let her know?" 

[Hoe? Did I just get compared to a farming tool?] 

Gabriella scanned him. 

Nathan Myers

Level 5

EP: 50/50

... And, Gabriella promptly sighed. 

[Is this going to be a common theme going forward in this new story of mine? Low-level weaklings acting like they own the place?] 

"Uh, n-no," Lillith waved her hands back and forth. "She's not a... worker, she-" 

"Worker?" The guy belly laughed. "You got a union or some shit now?" 

"-she's not from here." 

"Yeah?" Nathan glanced at her. 

Gabriella waited. 

[I do not know what this man wants but for his sake, he better find someone else.] 

"Aight... Aight, it's fine. Stay safe, you two." 

With that, he walked away. 

And Gabriella loosened the fist she'd been clenching atop her lap. 

"Okay," Lillith breathed a sigh of relief. "Talked to my boss and, uh, I got a bit of time off. Uhm... I guess I could go and answer some questions for you?" 

"I'd love that." 

"Cool. Uh, how about we go somewhere a little nicer?" 

"Sure." 

20