Mind Blown
298 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gabriella moved with a calculated grace. 

As each criminal approached, a futile attempt to defend themselves, she dispatched them with cold and efficient precision.

The first criminal threw one firearm aside and pulled another, smaller one out. He took aim at Gabriella.

With a subtle gesture, she halted the incoming bullets mid-air, the lethal projectiles suspended like ominous orbs. The criminal's eyes widened in disbelief as the very weapon they had intended for her became a threat against them.

With a mere thought, Gabriella redirected the suspended bullets, sending them back toward their origin. They pierced his left shoulder and blew one of his ears off. 

The criminal, caught off guard, fell to the ground, hindered by the arsenal he'd sought to deploy against the sorceress.

The next assailant, wielding a glowing blade, lunged forward with a swift and deadly strike.

[Oh? That sword looks cute!] 

However, Gabriella effortlessly dodged the attack. In response, she unleashed a torrent of psychic force, immobilizing the attacker and rendering his colorful blade useless.

One by one, the criminals succumbed to Gabriella's otherworldly prowess. Some attempted to fire more projectiles only to realize their efforts were in vain once Gabriella stood in front of them, the last thing they saw before they were knocked out being her glowing, yellow eyes.

Others tried to employ more up-close and personal approaches, but they too were subdued casually. 

As Gabriella continued her methodical dismantling of the criminal opposition, the warehouse became quieter and quieter progressively. 

The last criminal, desperate and cornered, made a final attempt to resist, running up and trying to punch her in the face. 

[My friend, after all I've done to your allies, you really thought you were going to get me like that?]

Gabriella almost found it endearing. 

[Eh, you'll do.] 

Gabriella leaned down, addressing him with a calm yet authoritative demeanor, his closed fist still in her hand. The individual, still recovering from the encounter, looked up with a mix of fear and uncertainty.

"May I ask you something? Why would an Executioner's presence be considered strange here?" Gabriella inquired, her piercing eyes fixated on the criminal.

The man hesitated for a moment, weighing the consequences of his response.

"U-Uh..." he stammered, tripping over his words.

"Answer quickly now," Gabriella urged. "The longer you take, the more I feel like breaking every bone in this hand."

To show that she could, she gave it a "gentle" squeeze.

The guy cried out.

"S-Sarge usually pays 'em off, ya know?" His brain resumed working again, apparently. "They don't bother us if we don't bother them."

[Ah... So, the Executioners can be paid off?] 

"Thank you for the information. Have a nice rest." 

"Wha-" 

She ran the side of her hand into his neck. The man hit the ground, unconscious. 

[I'd love to learn more, though. Perhaps Jackal could be so kind as to elaborate for me.] 

---

As Gabriella stepped further, into the heart of the warehouse, she was met with an imposing sight.

Jackal, the same machine-like face Gabriella had seen on her phone, stood in the center. His formidable figure was carrying a bulky, heavy-looking gun with multiple chambers. Flanking him were two menacing goons, their demeanor suggesting a readiness for violence.

Jackal's eyes locked onto Gabriella and, although Gabriella couldn't see his pupils, she felt a mix of curiosity and wariness in his gaze.

The atmosphere in the warehouse became charged with tension, the remnants of the earlier chaos still lingering in the air.

"You know, I'm pretty sure the creds I owed you freaks went through. So, tell me, what the fuck is an Executioner doing in my house?" 

Gabriella remained composed, her expression unreadable as she faced the criminal mastermind. The goons at Jackal's side tightened their grip on their weapons, their readiness palpable.

"I'm no Executioner," Gabriella stated. "Bounty hunter would be a more fitting title at the moment. All I want is the price on your head... But," she stepped forward. One of the criminals shot her, but Gabriella effortlessly stopped the bullet. "A lot of people keep telling me I resemble these 'Executioners' and it's got me quite curious. So, I'll tell you what. You give me some information and I'll make sure to bring you in 'alive' rather than 'dead'. How's that sound?" 

There was a pause. 

"GO TO HELL!" 

He pulled his gun up. 

Gabriella smirked. 

[This will hurt for me, but... Now that I'm not being caught off-guard, I'm prepared for the sensation.] 

Gabriella's eyes flared with determination as she stopped the flurry of bullets that poured out from the machine, metallic pings resonating through the warehouse as the bullets hit the ground.

Without further hesitation, the criminals opened fire, and Gabriella's Psychokinesis danced in the air, redirecting the deadly projectiles away from her.

Closing the distance with incredible speed, she summoned her Technomancy, manipulating the devices in the surroundings, and turning the lights off.

Gabriella ducked, weaved, and dodged with uncanny agility, avoiding gunfire with grace that briefly illuminated the scene. 

As she reached the first thug, Gabriella ran a fist straight through his gut. 

Unfortunately, due to these guys having some superior weaponry, Gabriella couldn't afford to take any chances. She used all of the Strength she had. 

The second thug attempted a melee approach, charging at Gabriella with a crude but deadly blade. She countered with Psychokinesis, taking the blade from him and driving it through his head.

Jackal had been shooting her for a while, but he soon realized that wouldn't work and switched strategies. 

He tossed a ball at her. 

[What?] 

The ball exploded. 

Gabriella hissed. 

Her right leg ended up taking damage. Not a lot, the force was akin to having been kicked with force. But, it still hurt. 

Gabriella looked up. 

[He's only level 15... How did that hurt so much? What form of magic was that?] 

Apparently, that was supposed to do a lot more than just hurt, though, as Jackal looked shocked to see her still standing. He went to run away, but Gabriella ran forward and cut him off. 

"UAGH!" 

With a calculated knee to the gut, she stopped him. 

"Alright, that's enough. You talk or I kill you and find someone else who will. Start." 

As he stood there, hunched over, a malevolent grin crept across his face.

[Huh?] 

A message appeared. 

{User: "Jackal" is attempting a neural hack...} 

{...} 

{Critical Failiure}

He screamed.

Gabriella pulled back as she saw smoke coming out from his ears. She let him go and the man writhed and twisted. 

In a cruel twist of irony, Jackal's own strange attack became his downfall.

All of a sudden, he was lying dead on the cold floor. 

Gabriella sighed. 

[What the hell was that?] 

---

With Jackal incapacitated and his gang defeated, Gabriella wasted no time in securing her bounty. She coldly detached the criminal's head, ensuring it remained intact as proof of the successful capture.

Carrying the detached head, she navigated the neon-lit streets using Lillith's phone, arriving at the nearest "police" station.

[This is the local law enforcement's barracks? Alright.] 

Here, flickering holographic displays and the distant hum of machinery created a surreal backdrop for her arrival. As the magical doors slid open, all eyes quickly fell on her.

[Hm?]

Somewhat amused, Gabriella approached the front desk, head in hand, and presented herself to the duty officer.

"Jackal," she declared, her tone carrying a blend of nonchalance and accomplishment.

A lady grabbed a scanner of some sort and held it up to Jackal's face. A holographic display flickered to life, confirming the identification. Gabriella's bounty was validated, and her reward was processed.

"U-Um... Ma'am, what's your bank account information?" 

"My what?" Gabriella asked. 

"Um, sorry, would you like it in physical creds?" 

"Sure." 

With a brief nod of acknowledgment, the lady gave her the reward for the bounty. Gabriella pocketed her hard-earned money, all packed in a tiny chip she put in her Inventory. 

As she walked out, she heard someone inside go: 

"That was her? The rogue Executioner?" 

"I-I think so..."

[Oh my, rumors? Already?] She giggled. [Well... Maybe that lie will get the actual Executioners to make contact. I would very much like to meet them.] 

19