The Offer
665 0 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Nexus, a dimly lit dive nestled in the heart of the city's maze-like streets, pulsed with the erratic heartbeat of the metropolis.

Neon signs flickered above, casting erratic shadows on the grimy sidewalks. The air buzzed with the low hum of conversations and the distant echoes of music from within the establishment.

As Gabriella stepped inside, she felt an unspoken tension in the air. Eyes darted her way, and hushed conversations paused momentarily before resuming in low murmurs. 

[Perhaps they recognize me? Good.] 

The interior was a chaotic tapestry of colored lights, strange music, and the clinking of glasses.

Smoke hung in the air, illuminated by the pulsating glow of holographic displays. Despite the vibrant chaos, Gabriella's entrance seemed to carve a brief path of stillness in the crowd.

The bar, a sprawling construct of chrome, held an imposing figure who seemed to command attention effortlessly.

Rahn, the gang leader Lillith had mentioned, was engaged in a conversation with a cadre of individuals who looked like they were half-human, half-metal. 

A towering figure with intricate neural tattoos visible beneath his transparent skin, Rahn glanced in Gabriella's direction.

His eyes locked onto hers. For a moment, the air held a palpable tension as the two regarded each other across the crowded room.

Undeterred, Gabriella continued her approach, weaving through the maze of bodies.

The surrounding chatter subsided as he acknowledged her presence.

"Gabriella Deathwind. That name is corny as shit." A half-smile tugged on his lips. 

Gabriella met his gaze, unflinching.

"I require information," she stated, trying to get right down to business. "I was told you'd be a good source." 

"That depends on what you've got to offer for it. And, what that information is, of course." 

[Good. We're getting right down to it.] 

"I need someone who can teach me about the following topics: Technomancy, Digital Spellcraft, Psychokinesis, and Nanomachine Reconstruction. Point me in the right direction and I will try to make it worth your while as best as I can." 

She had to throw in "try" given that she had no clue what would make that happen in this world.

She was trying to enter a negotiation but she wasn't clear on the leverage she had. 

Other than her strength, anyway. 

Rahn leaned back in his chair, his metallic eyes narrowing in contemplation. The ambient hum of the Nexus formed a backdrop to their conversation as he considered Gabriella's peculiar request.

"Technomancy, Spellcraft, Psychokinesis, and Nanomachine Reconstruction," he mused, saying each syllable slowly, the words hanging in the air. The man whistled. A couple of his guards shook their heads.

[Was that unreasonable?]

"Can't say I've heard of half those things and the ones I have heard of are no joke. Sounds like you're asking for a lot, Deathwind. Information like that isn't just lying around. In this district, that sort of thing is kept under wraps, in the hands of those who can wield it."

Gabriella tilted her head. 

[In this district? Is such a thing more common in the others, perhaps?] 

Gabriella met his gaze, undeterred.

"I'm not here to make idle requests. What is your price?" 

A wry smile crept across Rahn's face.

"Money isn't something I'd want out of you. No, if you want to make an offer, you're gonna have to put something different on the table." 

Given who it was that had told Gabriella about Rahn, the sorceress instantly froze.

If looks could kill, Rahn would be a pile of ashes right now. 

"I'm going to have to ask you to elaborate on that," Gabriella stated quietly, dangerously. "But, I would also like to advise that you choose the next words that come out of your mouth carefully." 

"Yeah?" Rahn leaned in a little, that half-smile on his face stretching into a grin. "What? You're gonna... you're gonna throw hands? Here? In my own place?" 

A thick layer of tension was draped carefully over the club. 

A woman to Gabriella's left put a hand on a pistol she was carrying. A few people standing by took a couple of steps back. Gabriella didn't take her eyes off the subject of her potential aggression. 

"YEAH!" Rahn yelled, jumping out of his seat. Gabriella flinched. "THAT'S THE SPIRIT! God, I'm so fucking sick of the pussies I see day in and day out. You wouldn't believe it, I'm telling you, every single person is such a quivering bitch nowadays! But, not you." He flopped back onto his seat.

"... Is that right?" 

"So," Rahn said, tilting his head. "I thought of something. A way you could 'pay me'." 

"And that is?"

"What I want is simple," he paused. "Be. My. Bodyguard." 

Gabriella eased her posture, crossing her arms.

"That's all?" 

"Just for a little while," he added. "Gives me time to gather as much info as I can cause, like I said, you have to dig deep to find out about that kind of shit. You do that for me, I'll pay you for every hour you work and I'll bring you whatever I find. How's that sound?" 

Gabriella nodded slowly. 

"I'll consider it." 

"That's all?" Rahn asked, looking absolutely baffled. 

"Yes. Your offer is enticing, but I am not familiar with these transactions. I need someone's counsel," Gabriella replied, standing up and beginning to walk away. 

"And, what if the offer's not around when you come back?" Rahn asked loudly, just as Gabriella was about to walk out of the room. 

Gabriella half-turned. 

"Well, perhaps I will take that opportunity to vent out some of my frustrations on you. I've been looking for such an opportunity, you know?" 

And, on that note, she walked away. 

---

Gabriella returned to her room at G-Spot, the thumping bass from the club reverberating through the walls.

The closet-like room held a stark contrast to the grandeur she was accustomed to. No tapestries, no soft mattress, no flickering candlelight casting a warm glow. Instead, the cold, synthetic light of the bar pierced through the small window, illuminating the room's meager furnishings.

It felt like an affront to the life she once knew.

[... I hate it here.] Gabriella sighed. 

She couldn't shake the frustration and anger that bubbled within her. The demons had taken everything from her, including the comfort of her own home, all because she hadn't been quite strong enough to deal with them without sacrificing herself in the process. 

Now, she was reduced to a makeshift sleeping space, surrounded by the noises of a city she barely understood.

As she sat on the edge of the bed, she clenched her fists, feeling the sting of her own powerlessness. Gritting her teeth, she closed her eyes, recalling the echoes of her past life. The elegance, the power, the control she once wielded. The stark contrast was almost too much to bear.

Gabriella took a deep breath, attempting to quell the surge of emotions.

[You'll get it all back,] she promised. [Taking down the demons is just one thing. After that... Well, I refuse to live in this squalor. Let's see just how high my prowess can take me.] 

18