Chapter 1
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I think I am going to like it here! These idiots won’t know what hit ‘em!” Surge says as she and Kit head to their room to call it a night after their meetup with Mimic.

 

Surge sleeps in late the next morning.

 

Honestly, she didn’t really even want to get up because this might have just been…no…it was THE BEST sleep that she had ever gotten. She didn’t know it could even be such an enjoyable activity! Plus, the beds that The Restoration gave her and Kit were more comfortable than anything that Dr. Starline had ever given them.

 

She didn’t try to think about this too hard though. Now that she was up and Clutch hadn’t given any follow up information on their plan yet she was just going to continue doing what she did yesterday.

 

Find Sonic and challenge his ideals!

 

She looked all around HQ for the blue blur. She checked the mall area, all of the restaurants, the tech and storage facilities, and each and every room that she could find in the building.

 

Nothing! He was nowhere to be found!

 

As she scours every nook and cranny of the hideout she eventually runs into Amy Rose.

 

“Hey Amy!”

 

“Aaahh!” Amy turns around while grabbing her chest. “Surge! You scared me!”

 

“...Oh…um…Sorry about that…I guess…but I just wanted to ask you something.”

 

“I have a bit of time before I am needed in the conference room so...sure…go right ahead.”

 

“Where’s Sonic? I wanted to talk about…” Surge mentally barfs in preparation for what she was about to say. “...our feelings or whatever…”

 

Amy sighs and looks at Surge.

 

“Surge, if you knew anything about Sonic it would be that he is never in one place for very long. He is always up and about doing something. He probably got up super early just to check if there were any more missions for him to do. For all I know he could be all the way on the other side of Mobius.”

 

“Must be tough being “friends” with someone who you never get to spend that much time with.” Surge says friends with air quotes. The concept is still relatively foreign to her.

 

“...Yeah…” Amy says with a sigh and a slight blush. “...Sonic…is great…He is a true hero who wants nothing more than to help everyone that he can…but…with that being said, he has a lot of friends because of this and he tries to spend as much time as he can with all of them…It makes it kind of difficult to get a whole lot of one on one time with him…”

 

Surge suddenly puts an arm around Amy’s shoulders with a mischievous smile on her face.

 

“...Oh…I see…you like him…don’t you?”

 

“...Uh…well…that is…kind of complicated…”

 

“It’s a yes or no question! How hard could it be to answer it?”

 

“...A lot harder than you might think…” Amy said as tears started to form at the corners of her eyes.

 

Surge notices this and immediately backs off a bit.

 

“...Uh…I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to…you know…” Surge tries to say something that would make Amy feel better. “GAH! Why are words so hard!”

 

Amy quickly waves off Surge’s concern with a small giggle and wipes the remaining tears from her eyes.

 

“...It’s just that…I have tried to get Sonic’s attention for a very long time…and it never really worked out for me…This is kind of embarrassing actually…back in the day when we were both younger I used to be obsessed with him…I followed him everywhere in hopes that one day that he would see me like I saw him, but that didn’t happen…We’ve known each other for a long time at this point and now I know for a fact that he doesn’t see me like that and never will…I have given up pursuing that a little while ago…that said…I still do want to have a relationship with someone and to settle down eventually, but it will most likely be with someone other than Sonic…”

 

“...Wow…that…is a lot to unpack…”

 

“...I’m sorry about that…”

 

“...Nah…it’s cool…”

 

“So to answer your question. No, Sonic isn’t here and I am not sure when he will be coming back. He could be back in a week or in a minute. You never know with him.”

 

Surge, now with nothing else to do with her day because pestering Sonic was all that she had planned, decides to ask Amy a completely random question.

 

“Well, I am kinda hungry! Wanna go with me to grab something to eat?”

 

“I am sorry, Surge, but I have a meeting to go to right now.”

 

“...Oh yeah…maybe afterwards then…”

 

“...Let me check my schedule real quick…” Amy pulls out a small planner to check if she has an opening for Surge today. “...I am…open actually…so yeah…let’s do lunch…”

 

“Awesome!” Surge says a little too excitedly as she then tries to play it off. “...I mean, cool…”

 

“It’s a date then! See you later, Surge!”

 

After Amy walks off, Surge is left with a lot of questions.

 

Thoughts such as maybe The Restoration isn’t so bad and is Sonic actually a good guy bounced around in her head, but one other thought of hers was much louder than all of the others right now…

 

…That thought being…that Amy Rose called their simple lunch get together a date!

 

She had never gone on a date before! She didn’t even know if she liked Amy like that or not. Heck! She wasn’t even sure if she liked girls!

 

To be fair, she didn’t really think much about romance at all before this very moment. She spent most of her time on how to get revenge on Sonic and Dr. Eggman. She didn’t waste any time on such trivial things.

 

…At least that is what she thought before. For some reason after Amy said that to her, she started to feel a little weird.

 

Her heart usually only beats this loudly during an intense fight! Nothing pumps adrenaline through the body like kicking ass! At least that is what she used to think. This definitely gave that a run for its money.

 

Instead of continuing to stand in the hallway she decided to go back to her room and prepare for her and Amy’s “date”.

“I don’t know what to do, Kit!”

 

“...If you're hungry then go to lunch. That is what a date is right. The consumption of food with another person.”

 

“What part of “I don’t know” do you not understand, Kit!” Surge yells.

 

Kitsunami flinches a bit at her raised voice.

 

Surge sits down on her bed.

 

“...Ugh…I’m sorry…”

 

“...It’s okay…I forgive you…”

 

“...So…I should probably dress nicer than this, right?”

 

“What is wrong with the clothing that you are currently wearing?”

 

“...Well, nothing…I think that I look awesome! But…it doesn’t really feel appropriate for a…”date”.

 

“...I say you shouldn’t have to do that…Why change who you are for somebody else. If you want my two cents I say go as you are and if she doesn’t like it, then that is her problem. Not yours…”

 

“...Yeah…I didn’t really own any other clothes anyways…”

 

“...I wasn’t just talking about clothing. I am also talking about personality. Don’t let her change you, Surge…Don’t let her make you soft…or forget about what they have done to us…”

 

“...Uh…yeah…For sure!”

 

Kit nods with a slight smile on his face as he continues working on upgrading his Hydro Pack.

 

Surge looks at the time and notices that it is about time for her and Amy’s date.

 

“...Thanks Kit! Gotta go!” Surge says as she flies out the door.

Surge didn’t change her clothes, but she did make a stop on the way to pick up some flowers.

 

As Amy arrived at the restaurant Surge waved for her attention.

 

“Sup!” Surge said as Amy walked over to the table.

 

“Thanks for reserving the table, Surge! How kind of you!”

 

“...Don’t mention it…Also, these are for you…” Surge says with a small blush.

 

“...Thanks…but why are you giving me flowers?” Amy says with a confused face.

 

“...But…I thought…” Surge’s thoughts were racing. “...Didn’t you say that this was a date earlier?”

 

“...Oh…Oh Surge, I am so sorry!” Amy says with an apologetic tone. “...When I said “date” I meant it was locked into my calendar. Not that we were going to have a…romantic dinner…”

 

“...Oh…” Surge says despondently as her ears slightly drooped.

 

“...But…with that being said…” Amy says as she notices Surge’s mood slip. “...I guess that…I wouldn’t be opposed to this…being a date…”

 

Surge’s attitude immediately picks back up.

 

“Thank you!” Surge is way too exciting again! ‘You are at a ten and need to bring it down to a four’. She course corrects. “...I mean…that’s fine by me…”

 

“Here are your menus ladies.” A waiter ,who was a badger in a suit, says as he drops off their menus along with bringing them silverware and napkins. He then pulls out a small notepad. “Would you like to start with any drinks?”

 

“Strawberry iced tea.” Amy says after looking at the drink section of the menu.

 

“...Uh…I’ll take a Sprite…” Surge says in a tone that was surprisingly sheepish in comparison to her usual bombastic nature.

 

The waiter writes this down and walks towards the kitchen.

 

“So, Surge, how are you liking The Restoration so far?” Amy says as she folds her fingers together.

 

“...Well…uh…It doesn’t suck nearly as much as I thought it would…and…certain parts of it…have actually been…kind of okay I guess…”

 

“Any specific highlights so far?”

 

“...Honestly…the beds…”

 

Amy suddenly gets a somewhat sad and empathetic look on her face.

 

“...I am glad to hear that…I suppose that you have never had a comfortable bed before you came here?”

 

Surge shakes her head no.

 

“...Well, I guess you’re in luck then. As long as you stay here and don’t cause too much trouble you get to keep that bed, and your and Kit’s entire room, for free.”

 

“...Thank you…” Surge said under her breath, but was so quiet that Amy could hardly hear her.

 

“What was that?”

 

The waiter returns and interrupts their conversation.

 

He drops off the drinks and takes out the notepad again.

 

“What would you ladies like to eat?”

 

“...Hmm…I am not too terribly hungry right now…So I’ll just have a salad…”

 

“And what about you, miss?”

 

“...A hamburger and fries…please…”

 

The waiter nods, jots their order down, takes the menus, and walks back to the kitchen.

 

“Hey, Amy?” Surge asks.

 

“...Yes…” Amy replies after she takes a sip of her tea.

 

“...Why did you get such a small meal? I couldn’t imagine getting just that when this place has so many more filling options.”

 

“I am just not that hungry.”

 

“...Oh…” Surge looks down at the table.

 

Amy suddenly looks concerned again.

 

“...Surge…did you not have a lot of food where you used to live?”

 

Surge doesn’t answer. She just crosses her arms and lays her head on the table.

 

“...Oh, Surge…I am so sorry…I didn’t know…”

 

“...I don’t want you pity…” Surge says quietly.

 

“...What was that?”

 

“I SAID I DON’T WANT YOUR PITY! I DON’T WANT YOU TO FEEL BAD FOR ME!” Surge suddenly raises her voice as tears start streaking down her cheeks.

 

“...I’m…” Amy was about to apologize again, but held her tongue this time. She instead just leans over and puts a hand on Surge’s shoulder.

 

“Do you want to talk about…him?”

 

“...No…” Surge says as she crosses her arms again. “I never want to waste another second thinking about that jerk ever again…”

 

The waiter walks towards the table again.

 

“Here is your food, ladies.”

 

As an awkward silence fills the air, Amy and Surge eat their food without saying a world.

 

As Surge finishes she gets and to go.

 

“...Surge, wait!”

 

Surge turns around to look at Amy.

 

“I know you said that you didn’t want my pity, but I can’t help it! I am a very protective person and I care deeply for those I love!”

 

“...What did you just say?” Surge says with a small blush.

 

Amy realizes what exactly it is that she just said and covers her mouth as a blush covers her face.

 

“I didn’t mean it like…unless you…you know what I mean!” Amy says while quickly waving her arms.

 

Surge laughs. She laughs for longer than she ever had before.

 

“...Are my feelings a joke to you?” Amy says with a blush as she crosses her arms.

 

“...Of course not!” Surge says as she quickly tries to defend herself. “...It was just…cute…that’s all…”

 

“...You think that I am cute?”

 

“...Shit…”

 

“Admit it, Surge! You like me! Don’t you?”

 

“...Fine…yes…I like you! Do you want an award or something?”

 

“...Yes…”

 

“...Uh…what?”

 

“I would like my reward for liking you.”

 

“...What does that even mean?”

 

“It means this!”

 

Amy quickly kisses Surge on the cheek.

 

“See you tomorrow, Surge!” Amy waves as she walks out of the restaurant.

 

Surge was left speechless, yet again. She was just standing in the middle of the restaurant as she was blushing wildly.

 

“...Uh…Miss…” The waiter came back to clear the table. “...I am sorry, but I need to clean this table for the next party.”

 

Surge slowly turns towards the waiter…

 

…and screams…

 

She just screams at the top of her lungs! Why was she screaming? Who knows! She just had a lot of emotions and didn’t know what else to do with them!

 

After she let all of her feelings out, Surge ran out of the restaurant and back to her room.

0