Two hard ways
6 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Anise is crossing the principal street to take the narrower that is towards her house. Her blonde hair is left free. As she grips tightly her dress which is a little longer, she lifts it so she can step safely. An older woman is at the corner and waves at the young girl. She comes closer as Anise stops waiting for the madam to come.

Madam Anna hugs tightly the girl and brushes her hair. Her smile is subsiding as some curious eyes replace her usual cheerful eyes. She whispers as she looks around to see if someone is too close to hear what they will talk.

"Is your sister really having a boyfriend? I heard that some guy was in her house as old Ben was going to introduce his nephew to her."

Anise's smile is vanishing knowing that the woman was interested in rumors not in her well-being. There were a few times when she went through the same situation but Ilona would take care of everything. This time is her chance to prove that she can finally protect herself.

"My sister knows better. And I don't know any guy that comes to our house. I think old Ben was just spreading rumors out of frustration that my sister pushed his nephew away. Don't believe in rumors, Madam Anna. You are a woman of dignity." The gentle face of the girl makes the madam nod at everything she says. As hypnosis, the woman is caught in the picture of the angelic lady.

"You are right, Anise …. Ilona will never want a man …..But you are a beautiful woman, shall I set you up?"

The lady is blushing and grips the madam's hands.

"Madam Anna is such a caring person. But I still have school. I can count on you after I will be older."

With this, the woman and Anise hugged each other and the girl left in a hurry.

As she walks on the narrow path she thinks of the idea of marriage. She remembers her parents. They loved each other so much and their life was so full of happiness. For her, the idea of finding a man was what she wanted for her future. She wanted to marry and have a good life. Having kids and taking care of Ilona. Just thinking that Ilona might be a single old lady makes her want to smack her sister.

Anise smiles and continues her walk. The clouds are gathering and the sun is setting. The breeze announces that rain will fall soon.

'What happened Ilona …..' Her mind is hustling as she doesn't understand how the rumors were born.

The door is opened and she finds Ilona making a soup. The smell is appetizing. The warm air is making her muscles relax.

"I am home!" Anise lets her books down and goes straight to her sister. Ilona is turning and smiles.

"Welcome home." She turns back and stirs more in the soup. As Anise hugs her from behind Ilona flinches.

Her figure stiffens and she can't stop thinking about what she will tell Anise in a few minutes. Just the thought makes her want to run away and not say anything. If only the time could be stopped….so she could enjoy seeing Anise eat and talk about how interesting her lessons were.

"Let me free …go and change. The table will be set soon. I am almost done."

Her voice has a hint of sadness which didn't escape unnoticed by Anise. Her usual raised voice is drowned in a low tone as her raspy voice interrupts as if to get her emotions in check.

The younger sister understands and doesn't say anything.

'Something must have happened ….in truth …. I will ask her later ….." Anise heads to bath and leaves Ilona in the silence and the fire sound. The lady has her eyes piercing the poor liquid that boils.

'Damned life …' Ilona puts bowls on the table. She still thinks about how to start the conversation. As she is caught in thought, her hands grab the handle of the pot without another cloth to protect her skin and gloves.

'Damn!' She takes back her hand and the form of the handle is imprinted on her gloves. She ruined her mother's gift. With fast movements, she takes off the glove to see if she burned herself.

Thankfully her hand is alright. She stares at her purple hand and puts the glove back.

That's right she needs to do it. With her thought wrapped up, she sits at the table and waits for Anise.

The gentle lady gets out of the bathroom wearing her nightwear is smiling and sniffs the soup put in her bowl. Anise sits over the table as Ilona looks straight at her having a small smile.

"You never fail to make this carrot soup ….. is delicious." Anise wants to eat.

"Is hot, blow first! You fool …" Ilona is stretching her hand to stop her. The gloves catch Anise's attention.

"Sorry …" The youngster feels that she stays on needles and this is making her panic a little.

"I have something to tell you. Eat …we will talk later." Ilona gazes at the girl and she lets her eyes fall on the bowl of soup.

Anise sighs and puts the spoon on the table making a small sound.

"The soup is hot so you can say it." Ilona rises her face and stares for a moment at the girl that really fakes putting up a convincing front, like she can handle it.

"You can relax ….." Ilona looks at her and smiles.

Anise is surprised that the girl smiles so often recently …..What got into her? Her usual cold but warm attitude is suddenly crumbling leaving her to see the smile that Ilona kept hidden for years.

"I will try …..you know me too well …." Anise smiles back and leans on the chair as she lifts her legs and hugs them, ready to listen.

"Have you heard the rumors?" Ilona is frowning." They are true." Anise is surprised and keeps griping her knees as she doesn't want to let out her shock.

Ilona continues." I can't find work here anymore. They will pay me less than now and I can't afford that. "Her face is serious as she plays with her spoon a little.

Anise sees that she is really worried but she is scared of what she will say next.

"I can stop my studies." Anise lets her voice out as Ilona glares after she hears what the girl sprouted.

"That's not an option. This matter will not change. Do you understand?" Ilona is looking at Anise that backs down and drops her head in defeat.

"Tomorrow I will go to the capital to find a job. I have two options for you." Ilona gulps and continues her speech.

Anise is rising her head and can't believe what she just heard.

"You either stay here and I will visit you or we leave together and we sell the house." Her low tone makes Anise shiver and flinch when she hears the two impossible choices.

A few minutes pass and Ilona opens her mouth again.

"You can tell me the answer tomorrow. I will do exactly what you chose. Just remember that these are the only possibilities we have to live a normal life …"

The soup is cold and the fire is slowly dying down. Ilona rises and leaves, closing the door of her room.

Anise is staring at the reflection she sees in the bowl from the lamp that still lights the small kitchen. A tear lingers on her cheek.

Living without Ilona…. will be hard. But her heart feels heavier for another reason. Ilona will have to work for her harder than before. She knows that for Ilona being apart from her is worse than working continuously all her life. Anise feels that this is the moment that she needs to support her sister more not drag her down.

The thought of selling the parents' house is eliminated quickly as she knows that it will be crushing for Ilona as well as her. This is the only thing left from them.

Anise decided.

With fast steps, she opens the door of Ilona's room and cuddles herself next to her. The older sister is turning over and looks at the youngster. She brushes her face and her hair is put behind her ear.

"Why are you here?" Her horse voice is making Anise giggle. Ilona cried.

With a big hug, Anise puts her head on her chest. I have decided. I will stay here and protect the house. I am already 15. But I have a request." Her face looks up at Ilona's.

"What?" Ilona meets her eyes and understands that her sister was not faking anything. She is dead serious.

"You have to visit at least once a week." Anise smiles and waits for her answer.

Scratching her head Ilona breaks the eye contact and doesn't know what to say. Maybe she should just say yes and do everything possible to not brake the promise she is about to do.

"Fine …" Ilona sighs.

Anise shakes her a little and laughs.

"Go to sleep already …" Ilona is amused by her but she is still worried so she can't be this happy. Still, she hopes that nothing bad will happen as she will be away. Should she put Leo's watch over her?

The girls fall asleep in each other's arms as the night grows darker and darker. Everything will be fine ...little did Ilona knows what will happen ….

Drop …drop …the rain is hitting the window ….

2